The CJ ARTsa all an amplifier can be

From tubes to solid state.
ajf75
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Re: The CJ ARTsa all an amplifier can be

Post by ajf75 »

Thanks Admin! Looking forward to it kicking my butt this winter with larger scale music (s/b no problem in the small room I've been confined to :? and with not too hard to drive speakers I use). OTOH, small scale acoustic music that coveys convincing presence and emotion is also important to me - so really anxious to find out if I can get there without the EL34 conversion.

Of course I agree on the varying opinions of tweaks, but I still find that such feedback can be valuable especially when dealing with a specific product and you get to know the other person's priorities. E.g. my personal powercord experience with my CT5 pre-amp suggests to me that the power supply design is such that it is not easily influenced by what comes in (a good thing I suppose). My prior ARC pre was responsive to PC cords, and my MV55 was super responsive to a PC cord change. The one I tried in the MV55 completely ruined it! Slow, muddy, etc. That was a captive cord so was a PITA to do and so only tried one Kimber cord option that I thought might work (most of my cabling is Kimber). Sound was fully restored upon reinstalling the OEM cord, but likely there is a cord out there that could 'improve' that little guy.

For me, changing plate fuses on either of my older CJ amps made obvious changes to the sound (as did, to lesser degrees, most other fuse experiments I've done). Sadly for the classic CJ gear that use those big 38mm fuses, only HiFi tuning offered them - and has stopped making them. Even more sad for me was realizing that my ARTsa still uses these same plate fuses - ugghhh! (but I have a plan there).

We should prob move any in-depth discussions on the general merits of tweaking and why some don't experience important differences, to another thread, but I will say that I find your very different observations on this subject very intriguing...
AJ________________
CT5 Pre
ARTsa Amplifier
P11A Amplifier
MV-55 Amplifier
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Very nice one AJ!

Superb stuff mate, you can't go wrong with this one ever!
This will truly be all an amplifier can be. I've had great experience with this and at the time I was using the Quads, they sounded their best with this beauty. No other amp drove those Quads like this one, and then the EL34 version was a real sweet expansive sound.

However, that was back then, forward to now and my speakers have changed dramatically, where now I'm using those wonderful KT120's and they do bring out the best in the CLX's. I think you will really like the KT120's, they are a fuller more dynamic sounding tube. The EL34 creates magic only on certain systems, and especially higher efficiency speakers. On the Ethos they worked its magic but on a full range stat or ribbon transducer, it would differ. It's a very personal thing, and you would need to try it out for yourself. That's the only way you will know, you can also custom make the sound you want with tubes, that's the beauty of owning tube gear.

Cheers mate and have a good one. Excellent choice on the ART amplifier!
Big woof! RJ
ajf75
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by ajf75 »

Thanks RJ, really appreciate it! As well as all your input to these forums. Congrats on your system's progress and those CLX's!

I don't know when I'll actually be able to get out of the room limitation situation and therefore can't commit to purchasing "end of the road" speakers at this point. I rotate btwn 3 fairly easy to drive dynamic driver speakers that work well for me in different ways. Virgo II, Shearwater HR, and Response 1SC, and my plan is to stay in this general lane with whatever speakers come next (to combine some virtues into one package).

Either way looking forward to hearing this guy after re-breaking in that teflon (amp hadn't been used in a while i'm told), and just maybe it'll also give me some better clarity on what's next. Maybe nothing.....nahhhh.
AJ________________
CT5 Pre
ARTsa Amplifier
P11A Amplifier
MV-55 Amplifier