Any one thinking about a GAT Series 2 preamp?

The PV-1 to now...
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Any one thinking about a GAT Series 2 preamp?

Post by joeinid »

Here’s a GAT from a trusted forum member here.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa2 ... his-v-tube
kw6
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by kw6 »

Hi Roberto,

I believe the Gat was on Audiogon. Is the Et7 S2 better than the original Gat?
kw6
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by kw6 »

joeinid wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:50 pm Here’s a GAT from a trusted forum member here.

Wow! Nice find Joe!😊
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Happy to help!
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Price drop to $7600

A steal for someone looking for a great preamp.

I’m in no way affiliated with the seller, just trying to help.

joeinid wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:50 pm Here’s a GAT from a trusted forum member here.

Rafaelmuente
Regular
Regular

Post by Rafaelmuente »

I own a TEA1-GATS2-ART combo (which I’m very proud of, as you may understand). I bought the ART brand new at a little more than half price from the Peruvian local distributor. It was a very unique opportunity then offered by c-j. It was then or never. I made the investment and I’ll never regret. The GATS2 came about 2 yrs ago, as well as the the TEA1. They replaced an ET5 and a TEA2, respectively. I’d like to post a picture but I can’t find the submit it.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Some points of interest:

1. Sad to report but here goes;
Another GAT2 has been listed on our Aus forum site by an owner whom I know. This unit was the one I was referring to where I have access to but in this case I won't be purchasing this particular GAT preamp.

For certain reasons that classified post was taken down due to unnecessary drama, where the country of origin wasn't made transparent amongst other things... As a result things got out of hand and the CJ importer has been banned from the site, due to no apparent fault other than trying to divulge the truth! and the Gat2 remains elusive!

The item is original but service and warranty remains an issue simply because it was not purchased in Aus. My trusted CJ importer will definitely service the unit if the need arises but not free of charge and honor full warranty! That's ridiculous. During my dealer days, I was faced with similar parallel imports and it always caused unnecessary issues.

As for my particular listening tastes, the system that I've built is to create a custom sound that forms a special synergy around the CLX's. I'm extremely pleased with the CT5 version that I have. Let's just say I simply prefer the Sovteks over the 6922/ E88CC tubes used in the Gat. Not sure what tubes the owner has placed in this Gat2 but I don't think I'd be impressed with it's performance.

This is just my personal preference and doesn't mean that anyone aspiring towards a Gat2, should not consider one.
If you're into a purer sound, more open, detailed and highly neutral, then the Gat2 is your answer. I've heard both versions quite extensively and they are superb in every sense of the term- "linestage" preamplification.

Purer sound, open and detailed are attributes that I'm experiencing already with the CT5 modded. In addition to this, the natural tonal balance and realism is provided from the monoblocks through the CLX's in any case, so why change anything? I guess it would be very hard for me to justify the upgrade or not and the improvement in performance. I do know for a fact it's definitely within my performance benchmark and that's a good thing!
However, there's just something so darn right, that has a superb sense of balance and control driving the monoblocks, which is very intricate to the Sovteks. I'm not sure what it is but it's as if the CT5 is operating at the level of an ACT2 series 3. That's one of a kind and one that I will keep!

Overall, the ACT2 was my favorite CJ preamp of all time, apart from the much older ART preamp that I partnered with the Prem8A monoblocks. That overall type of sound, call it colored, warmer or having a caramel affect... is highly addictive and something that's extremely hard to let go.

I do know for a fact that if I were to settle for a Gat2 then I would need to change my monoblocks as well, probably towards the ART series of amplifiers. Now, that's definitely something I'm not willing to do, especially after having completed several mods on the amplifiers.

2. Which leads me to ponder about the ART27A partnered with the GAT2, now that's definitely something to look forward to.
Anyone here thought about this combination or have heard it? Kindly do share your thoughts and impressions.

I've heard the ART27A on its own but not matched with the Gat2 at length to draw up final conclusions.
This particular combination would probably be CJ's finest ever made to date. With the right speakers having a relatively easy load to handle, this overall presentation would be beyond SOTA! Comparing to the ultra-high-end, I think CJ has a clear winner here.

Cheers to JF & the team at CJ!

Best, and keep safe
RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

kw6 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:15 am Hi Roberto,

I believe the Gat was on Audiogon. Is the Et7 S2 better than the original Gat?
Hola Kw6,

What a difficult question. I don't think it is, but my liking could be different than yours. The Gat belongs to a different league than the ET-7 V2, just have a look inside, and you will find a lot of tweaks that you do not find into the ET-7V2. These little tweaks, make a difference, even being a different design and being the ET-7 V2 a newer model.

My ET-7 makes me to water my eyes...it is very emotional. I get the soul of the musician(s) as never before. I really have a magical sound and also tells me: just enjoy it and don't change anything. This is what I am doing...enjoying my sound system that much!

Stay home, stay safe!
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

From the ET7 to the GATS2 the improvements are incremental, nothing too far ahead in the region of 40-45% in margin. I would say around 25-30%. Therefore, any of these preamps are outstanding in their own right.

It all depends on the overall factors:
1. What your listening habits are
2. Preferences in overall sound, what is it you're exactly after? (Which some people and many so called Audiophiles don't really know, or are still trying to figure out...)
3. Finances and budget constraints

Not everyone can afford the ET7 or let alone a GAT! Having said that, with whatever gear you currently have and if you've upgraded it with the highest quality parts and materials that are actually found in these latest offerings, the overall sound you will achieve is really not that far from the latest.

Once you've entered into the world of CJ and have carefully matched each component to form a sense of balance and realism, the synergy is superb! Putting together a high-end audio system is an art form, it takes several years, if not decades. It's not about spending money and upgrading on every component that comes out, that is definitely not enjoying the music. I'm one that used to do this in fact always chasing the latest... but it certainly wasn't the greatest! Careful matching, modding and tweaking is the key. Getting the basics right, for example the room, is far more important than spending on any new component regardless of price.

That's the synergy I'm talking about, and I've heard only a handful of systems that truly achieve this.

Enjoy those fine tunes,
Cheers and keep safe all. RJ