What do you play to demo your system?

Anything you can hear or see.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: What do you play to demo your system?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Two others that can really challenge a system are Madonna’s True Blue, and Paula Cole’s This Fire.

I think Zappa is as much a challenge to the listener as to the system. I have no doubt that Apostrophe is a good test.

You’ve piqued my interest. I have copies, but haven’t listened to it in decades. I’ll dig around and see if I can find it.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

He had so much stuff going on in his music.
What really surprised me was It Must Be A Camel from Hot Rats: there's another track, very faint, buried in the mix that only the c-j preamp brought out.
Sonic Frontiers, deHavilland, AVA, ARC, they didn't pick it up.

For the Zappa fans here, all of the 180 gram remasters are just excellent.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I remember when The Mothers of Invention played the Fox in “Hotlanta” in 1973 or 4. I’d never heard of them, but one of my friends was really gushing with enthusiastic love. Frank Zappa? As Bart Simpson would have said “Who the hell are you?”

It was an eye and ear opener. He was certainly an exceptional musician AND showman.

Unraveling his recordings should be a great test of an audio system.

It’s another one of those cases where the recordings often disappoint even though the live show was excitingly engaging.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

His live shows were always fun.
I grew up outside of NYC and he'd always come to town for Halloween.
I even got caught on camera during the filming of Baby Snakes. If you ever wondered who that young kid was with the "Tower of Power" before the Poodle Rap, well, wonder no more.
To be young again.

With Frank every night was a different show with a whole different set list so you never know what you'd get. One night all guitar, next night conducting the band to stuff you've never heard before.
Dweezil does a Zappa Plays Zappa bit and they're really good but it's recreating the music so there's not that element of complete surprise that his dad had going on.
Dweezil did a video with someone about just how hard his father's music was to play and in part of it he demonstrated all of the different tracks that were used to make one song and how complex everything was.
That's what the conrad-johnson picked up that the other manufacturer's products missed.
He buried another layer of material in there.