to stay!
gensiva1
Frequent User
Frequent User

New bee to CJ

Post by gensiva1 »

Hello All,

My name is Gen and I am from Malaysia.
I am new to CJ gears and I've just reserved CJ Premier 8 with upgrade 8A.
Very excited but at the same time it was hard decision moving from SST to Tube Monobloc
I had Bryston 7B SST2 monobloc with BP26 pre amp. Now moving into CJ monobloc for the first time.

I hope to learn and share my experience soon in this forum with ton of expert here.

Cheers guys and proud to be CJ owner for the first time after being audiophile for last 20yrs.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New bee to CJ

Post by admin »

Hi Gen, welcome to the forum. Great to have you with us.

The Premier 8A is a wonderful unit. I think you are really going to enjoy its sound. Let us know what you think when you have it in the system.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
gensiva1
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by gensiva1 »

Thank you for welcoming into the forum. Really appreciate it.
I am getting my units in 2-3 weeks time. Just purchased Kimber Kable PBJ RCA which believe be good cable for CJ.
I had been using PAD xlr cable so now have to move back to rca and I think kimber kable would be good.

Will update my experience soon.

Anyone, can tell me what spec of fuse the 8 & 8A uses? Fuse inside and on the back

Thank you
Gen
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The rear fuse is a KTK2.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
gensiva1
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by gensiva1 »

Thank you any idea the spec?
I found BUSSMANN KTK-2 Fuse 2a Nonindicating Midget Ktk 600v

but no idea if the fuse are 2A or 5A and anything else?
gensiva1
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by gensiva1 »

Happy to share my experience for first 1hrs lessening last weekend after setting up my CJ 8A.
I was amazed how they sounded and music was live. Vocal and bass was stunning.
Never want to stop playing honestly ...
I am pleased with the result as I was worried moving to tube amps.

But don't think will turn back anymore.

Lastly, the comparison between xlr to rca. I felt no different but got more details then before. Honestly its surprising as i was never into rca and always had negative view using rca but I have witness myself now.
Last edited by gensiva1 on Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
gensiva1
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by gensiva1 »

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-16 at 1.19.55 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-16 at 1.19.55 PM.jpeg (89.86 KiB) Viewed 470 times
Here is my setup ...

Von VR4 Sr MKIII + Bryston BP26, Sony HDD, CJ 8A
Cable:
Nordost Try 1 speaker cable
PAD interconnect
WE interconnect
Kimber Kable interconnect for per to monoblock
Shunyata power cord
PowerTrans
Power conditioner Shunyata Hydra 4
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one mate 👍 and welcome to CJO.

Those Prem8A's look fab as ever, legendary gear!

I'll never forget them, the last pair I had after the XS version (fitted with EL34's) were the 8A's fitted with 6550C tubes driving Apogee Diva's partnered with the ART preamp. It was outstanding considering the design at the time and what highend audio offered back then.
That was a few decades ago, of course things have changed and tube circuits have been further refined over the years. Nonetheless, as a true classic highend tube design, the Premier 8A's takes the podium.

Regarding the fuses and the specific types / amperage ratings, please check your Owner's manual, it will have all the information regarding fuses marked clearly in the manual. You can also download the manual if required.

That's a fantastic setup there, especially with the Nordost Tyr cables. You seem to be using a mix & match of cables & interconnects... perhaps later on you could install a full Nordost loom, that would be mighty fine. However, it's quite an expensive route, which is not necessary to enjoy music as it is. Just a suggestion though.

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

gensiva1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 am Thank you any idea the spec?
I found BUSSMANN KTK-2 Fuse 2a Nonindicating Midget Ktk 600v

but no idea if the fuse are 2A or 5A and anything else?
Pretty sure it's this: https://www.grainger.com/product/BUSSMA ... Amps-4XC38

Also, great looking setup. Just outstanding.
-admin
gensiva1
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by gensiva1 »

Thank you very much for sharing the spec and sharing you comments on the setup.. Many hours of lessening need to be invested with CJ ... always look forward to weekend. :)
gensiva1
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by gensiva1 »

RJ, thank you very much on you comment and inputs.
I agree that the tube amp technology has shifted lot nevertheless the essence of CJ engineering still meets the expectation of current trend without making owner disappointed. I am even surprise now that I hear more details using RCA interconnect whereby I was running XLR in the past. The is no background noise whatsoever that was claimed by using RCA vs XLR cables. Just wondering all those review out there making this claim are legitimate.

It is also difficult to find quality engineering being consider nowadays unless we have empty bank :)

and for cable yes got spot I felt those to being mix and match. Any recommendation of cable that be good match for CJ. Kimber Kable, Nordost, WE 'NOS cables, XLO?

I have download the manual cheers for that.

Thank you and cheers.
Gen
gensiva1
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by gensiva1 »

RJ, just to consult the diagram downloaded is not very clear. Any other copy available perhaps can be shared?
prem8asch.pdf
This is 8A diagram
(280.65 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

No worries at all mate, always happy to help.

The cables and interconnects that you're using now are very good and well known in the industry. So there's absolutely nothing wrong with those brands.
What picked my attention was the mention of Nordost! I'm a massive Nordost fan and exclusively use a full Nordost power loom.
They are damn expensive, there's no denying that but when installed with the right gear and cable matching, they can evelvate your system to unbelievable value.

When you mentioned that you were using the Tyr cables, these are the top of the line in the Norse series. Now they have the Tyr2 series aa well, and it gets even more expensive but you certainly don't need to go there.

Over the years, I've found mixing cables can certainly arrive at a custom sound and many owner's may prefer this. However, in the majority of systems that I've put together, I found a greater sense of synergy when installed within the same brand or line. I think it has something to do with cable connections, internal construction and cable properties, so when these factors are matched closer together, the level of performance takes upon a fine sense of synergy.

Another thing you've done very well, which I always emphasise on, is to start with something quite decent at the first point of contact, being the source gear then followed by preamp to power amp/s and finally onto the speakers. This very last point of contact, power amps to speakers must be of higher quality, since the speakers will reproduce exactly what's on the recording. That very signal will leave all the gear and will be passed onto the speakers, which in turn reaches our ears (of course it will bounce off the walls, ceiling and our listening rooms).

So! Since you're using the Nordost Tyr1 speaker cables, that's definitely the highest quality of signal you're system is capable of representing. Of course if finances permitted, going for a full Tyr1 or Tyr2 power loom would be the ultimate! However, that's where your bank manager may need to resign.
Believe it though, there are quite a number of owners who have invested in large sums of money for a full Nordost Odin Supreme Gold2 power loom. That's just crazy spend but hey, if that's what they want then so be it!

Attn: Admin
Do we have a tab / section where Gen can download a better version of the owner's manual for the Prem8A's, apparently it wasn't clear.

Cheers mate, and do enjoy those finest tunes!
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:35 am
Attn: Admin
Do we have a tab / section where Gen can download a better version of the owner's manual for the Prem8A's, apparently it wasn't clear.

Cheers mate, and do enjoy those finest tunes!
RJ
All the schematics I have are in that single download file. I'm not home right now so I can't confirm what is in there but I know that if it's not in that zip file, I don't have it.
-admin
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ok mate, not to worry.

ATTN: Gen
There's a very clear version of the Premier 8 Owner's Manual, that can be downloaded from the CJ Website, under the vintage tab - Premier Line.
Perhaps you've already got one of these downloaded versions by now...
As for the circuit diagram, CJ used to pass on these schematics out to owners and dealers whenever requested. However, now especially after the change of ownership, CJ does not issue circuit diagrams. The main reason behind this was due to counterfeit and copying CJ tube circuits, so JF put a lid on that, fair enough!

Hope you were able to find what you're after.
Cheers, RJ
gensiva1
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by gensiva1 »

Hi RJ,

Thank you for filling up the Nordost and happy to meet another Nordost fan. I have been into Nordost cable now past 14yrs only speaker and I am pleased on the result. They are bank drainer for sure but its possible if it really produce the expactation. I agree on your quote having same brand makes big different this is even same if using same manufacturer of per & power amp. Mix & match sometime can be total change of music production. Its totally up to individual and we have both cases in this hobby out there :).

I have already plan to sell my PAD interconnect and source Nordost soon. By end of this year I will have full loom of Nordost interconnect along with my speaker cable. Hopefully, my home minister approves it :)

//for the owner manual I got it. For schematics seems like I have do with what I have and I will set my time to open the amp myself to identy myself.

RJ, I have question I've drop email to CJ but the respon I get is kind of poor. No sure why? I have requested about C1 upgrade?

Below is the person responed me once but then nothing:
Jessica Celis
Customer Service Representative
Conrad-Johnson Design
2800 K Dorr Ave,
Fairfax, VA 22031
gensiva1
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by gensiva1 »

Dear Admin,

As mention owner manual I got it.

For the circuit diagram your are correct I do see on ebay counterfeit and copy of CJ tube circuits or replica of CJ amp. So totally agree why CJ has decided to stop this. Its copy right.

No worries, I will read what I can see on the diagram and the rest I have to open up the amp to see it before I make the purchase of those caps.

Thank you.
Gen
gensiva1
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by gensiva1 »

Sharing, my 2nd weekend with another 180hrs spend listening back to my collection Anne Bisson, Ann Sally, Halie Loren - vocals and tone just sounded amazing.

Sadly, coming towards end of Sunday and another week of wait before next weekend :)

Cheers, guys have a good weekend there and rest.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate,

Yes, the circuit diagram will not be issued any more. There used to be another way but I'm not sure what the arrangement is in Malaysia. Sometimes CJ may send c-diagrams to authorised dealers only. This was mainly for the purpose of tech support where the dealer had a fully certified techie on site or passed on service requests to a well reputed technician. We do have this sort of arrangement here in Aus, and our main dealer is also the sole importer for CJ and has been in the business since CJ was first established in Aus. So there's a long history here.

Re. To the C1 upgrade. This sort of work is usually conducted at CJ HQ, in which case you would need to ship your Prem8A's all the way to the US. This is going to be costly and time consuming. What you need to do is either contact JF directly at CJ and discuss this with him or have your CJ dealer / Malaysian importer inquire on your behalf.

If you're actually considering the C1 upgrade, best to get in touch with Jeff. Unless you had a viable option.
See how you go, and give it some thought first.

Cheers, RJ
gensiva1
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by gensiva1 »

Hi RJ,

There so authorized CJ dealer I. singapore.the nearest.
I got in touch with them already. Not sure how long before I get response.

Singapore has big CJ owner and Malaysia as well but hardly ppl are looking for upgrade or professional get amp refurbished.

My amp works well for now but prefer to upgrade caps since the amp is more 20yrs now. Feel it's worth it.

Many website I have seen ppl have carried professional upgrade to the caps, power sections with great result as per reviewer.

Let me drop email to Jeff directly if I can find his email.

Thx and cheer RJ.