Suggestions on a preamp for CJ 2275SE amp?

The PV-1 to now...
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Suggestions on a preamp for CJ 2275SE amp?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here’s a deal.

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/collecti ... r-open-box

Safe and Sound has been a really good vender in my experience. I’ve bought several things from them over the years. They have a big bricks and mortar store, and they are dealers for a full range of brands from cheap NAD or Yamaha to stratospheric Esoteric or Burmester. Their return policy is the best in the business.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

This is an even better deal, although it may be over budget (not by much though).

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/collecti ... open-box-1

If I were looking for a modest cost integrated amp, I’d probably just buy this one. At 50% off with all return and warranty rights, it’s a no-brainer for less than $5k OTD.
retroactiv
Advanced
Advanced

Post by retroactiv »

admin, I own a Ragnarok 1.5. I moved it to my other location, but it's not that great to me.
i'm been running my Cayin el84 tube amp as my workhorse 16 hours a day. so if i can find a ss amp that sounds good for a workhorse, i'd consider it, even if it exceeds my initial budget. problem is, i bet my $500 Cayin el84 tube amp sounds even better than higher end ss amps sadly.
retroactiv
Advanced
Advanced

Post by retroactiv »

i do see a cj 2250 recapped last year for $975, but that would also require a preamp. not sure how good a 2250 sounds
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

retroactiv wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:21 pm i do see a cj 2250 recapped last year for $975, but that would also require a preamp. not sure how good a 2250 sounds
I owned a couple of them. RJ probably knows them too.

I think they’re distinctly mediocre.

The P350 and the MF2550SE are the CJ solid state amps that were special. The rest of the CJ solid state amps are why CJ has no interest in resting on their SS laurels.

If it’s been recapped, it will probably sound as good as other $975 options.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Wish I could edit a post for a week.

I just noticed that those two Marantz integrateds that I would recommend are both available as I write this with either black or gold faceplates in open box status at Safe and Sound. So …

Another option is the ARC I/50. These retail for $5500, and you may have to buy them in the store rather than by mail. At one point they were allowing mail order.

I’ve noticed some dealers may be more interested in moving product, and discussion might lead to more flexibility. I’ll include a link to Paragon so you can see their product description. They will follow the ARC rules, but they’re a solid dealer.

https://www.paragonsns.com/products/aud ... 7425203263

ARC considers this unit to be entry level or for small spaces like bedrooms or offices. I’ve heard them demo’d with a pair of Wilson Tune Tots. If I weren’t tube averse at this point, I might consider one. Like many of CJ’s lineup, the I/50 is a hybrid with solid state regulation. It works well and definitely cuts cost.

Here’s a used one in red at TMR

https://tmraudio.com/components/integra ... ier-red-1/

It could probably be had for less since they’ve activated the make offer button.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here’s another that someone will scarf up quickly.

https://tmraudio.com/components/integra ... fier-gold/

It’s a gold integrated 15 year old Jolida tube unit that TMR is selling for under a grand ($750) with a generous return policy and guarantee.

Also here’s a used Marantz from TMR that’s under the total apparent budget. And it’s gold.

https://tmraudio.com/components/integra ... -mm-phono/

For what it’s worth, TMR will often exhibit price flexibility if you ask, especially if you’re dealing with someone there with whom you’ve developed a relationship.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Mmm... those are some great offers! We don't get gear like that over here at all. Even if it was offered at a decent price range, by which means both parties must be satisfied... the gear just sits there for months on end!

The only way to get top end gear is to buy new! Or perhaps demo/ floor stock. Even then we still have to pay a fortune for highend gear.

This is largely due to the soaring cost of living here, and obviously around the globe. The issues facing the highend audio industry has pushed that demand several notches way down the priority list. At the top of this list, is paying off the mortgage for those who've borrowed then followed by feeding the family, fuel for the car/s, schooling the kids expenses, taking care of the family pets, watering the garden and paying off those ever rising bills (inspite of having solar panels and batteries).

So looking at this list of living priorities, we can forget about highend audio gear. Not even the low-end stuff is selling, let alone my good mate who sells high quality LP's and SACD's. Business has slumped. I think apart from my humble contribution to his business once a month or so in purchasing new music, there's now just a handful of us that keep his shop going. Not sure for how long this is going to sustain though.

My advice, if you can afford any of these deals, grab it! As you already pointed out, you don't currently own the MF2275 or any of CJ's SS amplifiers. In which case why bother after a pre-power combination when there's plenty of top quality Integrated options.

As AJ has already forwarded many links on some good deals... there seems to be some fantastic gear on offer, especially the Marantz integrateds. The color options are great!

I was under the impression that you actually had the MF2275SE... hence all my thoughts and suggestions on the perfect CJ preamp seemed to be up in the air now. Oh well, never mind at least we offered our advice.

On a closing note, I will highly recommend this: you've already got the Cayin tube amp - (btw, I owned two products of Cayin CD50T and a little EL34 Integrated A50T, they were a joy to use but no where near CJ, no chance!) - since you already like the Cayin and enjoy your music, just leave it! Save up as much as you can and when the time is right consider the Burmester 032 or 082, these are the real top notch stuff when it comes to integrateds.

Check them out on the Net and just look at the build quality, there are no compromises at this level. I brought in the 032 for a home trial, it can drive difficult loads, such as full range stats with ease. Apart from its fine control and drive factors, it also had a high level of musicality, one SS highend that is truly special. No Mickey mouse here!

Since I'm very passionate about tooobs, I returned the Burmester but it's currently sitting on my short list of three SS amplifiers to get when I decide to do so.

So, just sit back and be happy with the Cayin. Save save save and THEN you'll have far more access to some really top gear in the used category. That's where and when the magic begins! Everything else less than that... you're going in circles. Once you get THE amplifier then just sit back and enjoy those fine tunes!

Woof! RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

RJ makes some good points about keeping your present rig.

But I would add that 16 hours a day will eat up power tubes in less than a year, and small twin triodes in about a year. Going to solid state for this application makes a lot of sense.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

retroactiv wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:20 pm admin, I own a Ragnarok 1.5. I moved it to my other location, but it's not that great to me.
i'm been running my Cayin el84 tube amp as my workhorse 16 hours a day. so if i can find a ss amp that sounds good for a workhorse, i'd consider it, even if it exceeds my initial budget. problem is, i bet my $500 Cayin el84 tube amp sounds even better than higher end ss amps sadly.
Cool. Was not aware you had the Ragnarok. I understand your "evaluation" of it's sound. I've owned a few Schiit products and it never produced "magic." However, it does offer a lot of bang for your buck. Show me another preamp/amp/DAC/phono/made in the US/5 year warranty unit for under $2k.

I think it's hard to find "the magic" at this price point that will also be a workhorse. I've never used tube based equipment that was designed to play all day every day. My tube gear is for listening sessions. You are going to be going through tubes very quickly if you keep them on all day every day. There are good solid state options (as others have pointed out above), but it's hard to meet the price point and this is all preowned and not new.

No right or wrong answer here. Go with tube gear and you will be eating through tubes,... solid state may not give you the sound you are looking for,... and budget limitations knocks out a lot of the higher end gear.

As RJ pointed out, it may be a valid option to hold off on new gear and get the budget up where it offers the ability to get more of the pros on the list.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
retroactiv
Advanced
Advanced

Post by retroactiv »

I'm now leaning back toward continuing to use my el84 tube amp for my daily usage. The tubes are cheap and they may last a couple years, so better sound than ss and still way cheaper buying tubes than forking over a ton for a high end ss amp.
retroactiv
Advanced
Advanced

Post by retroactiv »

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

retroactiv wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:18 am This looks really good, but pricey https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650 ... lifier-v1/
So maybe we should ask about your budget again,... I thought you were trying to keep this not much above $1500? If your budget is 3 times that, there are definitely a lot more options on the table and perhaps I would not worry so much about tube cost in that scenario.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:09 am
retroactiv wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:18 am This looks really good, but pricey https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650 ... lifier-v1/
So maybe we should ask about your budget again,... I thought you were trying to keep this not much above $1500? If your budget is 3 times that, there are definitely a lot more options on the table and perhaps I would not worry so much about tube cost in that scenario.
He was going to spend $2100 on the amp and $1500 on the preamp, so the budget was $3600. But he also said it wasn’t firm. My suggestions have been based on that premise.

He seems hellbent on tubes …
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

As Joe Appierto points out in the other thread, the Coda is solid state. I’ve never heard this unit, but it has decent reviews. Maybe it’s a good choice. Your ears, your system.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:46 am He was going to spend $2100 on the amp and $1500 on the preamp, so the budget was $3600. But he also said it wasn’t firm. My suggestions have been based on that premise.

He seems hellbent on tubes …
Ok, thanks for clarify that, I think I may have missed the "total budget" and just went off the $1500 number on the first post.

Well, at that range we are closing in on something like a CAV45s2 on the used market (multiple listings and many under $3600 in the past, https://www.hifishark.com/model/conrad- ... cav-45-s-2). That gives you tubes, current generation CJ gear, and takes care of the preamp and amp components. But of course, tons of options so no right or wrong.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

retroactiv wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:42 am
I'm starting to consider looking into other brands too.
I own and love my CJ CAV45 S2 and Cayin el84 tube amps, but I kind of wanted to see if there are any solid state amps out there that I'd like enough to use during the working week and preserve my tubes for more focused listening time.
As you can see from his earlier post, he already owns a CAV 45 s2.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:08 pm
retroactiv wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:42 am
I'm starting to consider looking into other brands too.
I own and love my CJ CAV45 S2 and Cayin el84 tube amps, but I kind of wanted to see if there are any solid state amps out there that I'd like enough to use during the working week and preserve my tubes for more focused listening time.
As you can see from his earlier post, he already owns a CAV 45 s2.
Jeez, my reading comprehension and focus today is zero. Serves me right for trying to work and carry on an audio discussion at the same time.

AJ, it's good to have you back so that there is someone here to keep me on track! :)
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The threads are often so long that it’s hard to keep track. :lol:
retroactiv
Advanced
Advanced

Post by retroactiv »

Sure appreciate everyone's feedback. This group is very helpful. I'm still open to considering a good ss amp now or later, but for now I do think I'm apparently "hell-bent" on tubes indeed. So, I'm probably going to see how often I'll need to replace my daily el84's and see how it goes. I imagine it shouldn't be that expensive. So, cayin el84 tubes for workhorse and my cj cav45 s2 for listening sessions. I just got replacement tubes for both since each one had a single bad tube and now I'm back in business. By the way, Jeff from CJ sent me a really nice gold lion 6922 replacement at no charge since I bought it used from CJ direct less than a year ago and that totally fixed the left speaker feedback noise I was getting. I told him the problem I was having and he accurately and instantly diagnosed it to be the single 6922 tube.