Non CJ Preamp Recommendations

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Non CJ Preamp Recommendations

Post by mstrshikadance »

After months of tinkering, I have concluded that CJ Pre-amps have too much gain (25db ish) for my 100db efficient speakers ZU Speakers.

With my Et3-SE, even at 1 on the volume scale, the speakers play louder than I would like. I have tried all different sources and the result is the same.

I am using a Premier 11 as a power amp.

My issue is that I am forced to listen a lot quieter than before now that I have a baby in the house :D

After doing much reading and research, pre-amps work their best when able to be used at a more normal operating level, closer to 40-70 of their operating range.

I have been using 12db and 15db volume attenuators between the pre and power amp, but I have found that they add a dark veil to the sound.

My system just sounds THAT good when played at a normal listening volume, without the attenuators, I hate to always be listening to it in a compromised state.

The best solution would be to get new speakers and keep my amp and pre, but the speakers have the aesthetic quality that many other speakers do not. Zu Soul VI.

So my question (finally) ... are there any non-cj pre-amp recommendations with lower gain or passive that y'all have experienced and would recommend?

Has to be Silver or gold :lol:

Thank you!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Non CJ Preamp Recommendations

Post by admin »

So options include:

1) Get rid of the baby and listen louder.

2) New Speakers that are less sensitive.

3) New preamp to replace an awesome ET3-SE.

What can I say, that is a hard choice and I'm not sure which way I would go. :)

I guess my question is what is your price range? Do you want to go new or used? Tube or SS?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by mstrshikadance »

hahaha....yea the fact that there was a contemplation of all three options says a lot :D

Price range is under $2500

I am open to either SS or Tube and new or used.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The honest (and sad) truth is I don't think you can beat the overall performance of an ET3-SE for that price range all things being equal. However, this is a unique circumstance.

As stated before, there are many options. If looking to something new and in that price range, a Holo Audio Serene comes to mind. It's hard to compare volume outputs but the max Vrms for the ET3 is 20 while for the Serene it's 8.5 so I think that should be significantly lower output level in typical listening levels. I'm currently using a Holo Audio DAC (May) and it really is top tier gear and a "bargain" considering what alternative options of similar quality cost.

But again, there are countless great preamps, I'm just not that familiar with their output level specs as my Magnepan 20.1's are low sensitivity at 85 db so it's not something I have to think about.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.