Classic 62SE On The Way

From tubes to solid state.
severegloves
New User
New User

Re: Classic 62SE On The Way

Post by severegloves »

Given that the latest ET7 may be outside your budget and might not align with your preferences, exploring other choices is a wise approach. There are indeed numerous tube preamps on the market with various features and price points.

Define Your Priorities:

Determine what features and qualities are most important to you in a tube preamp. Whether it's a particular sound signature, connectivity options, or specific functions, having a clear idea of your priorities will guide your search.
Read Reviews:

Look for reviews from both experts and users. Reading about real-world experiences can provide valuable insights into how a tube preamp performs in different setups.
Consider Brands and Models:

Explore offerings from reputable brands and models known for producing high-quality tube preamps. Forums and audiophile communities can be excellent resources for recommendations.
Compare Specifications:

With
Budget Considerations:

Set a budget range that you're comfortable with and focus your research on tube preamps within that range. There are excellent options available at various price points.
Demo Opportunities:

If possible, attend audio shows or visit local dealers where you can demo tube preamps. Listening firsthand can be invaluable in determining which preamp aligns with your sonic preferences.
Remember that the "right" preamp is subjective and depends on your unique tastes and the characteristics of your audio system.

Feel free to share more details or ask for specific recommendations if you'd like more tailored advice. Happy hunting for the perfect tube preamp for your setup!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Paolo,

Congrats with your new power amp, and I am with Severegloves. It is wise to do your best and get the ET-5, it will blend beautifully with your Classic 62SE. You can't go wrong with it. The ET-5 is a very nice and good sounding preamplifier. Of course it has the Conrad Johnson signature quality sound from bottom to zip. A very stable image and a very huge stage. There are some units on Ebay and the well known used market place. Its construction is very nice with a very strong power supply. Highly recommended product! Aim your battery for it...

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Thanks to all for your encouragement, insights, and positive comments. The Classic 62SE now has approximately 130 hours play time. It definitely is sounding better. :). I am going to wait until the amp has at least 200 hours before commenting further except to say that so far I'm very pleased and am thinking that the 62 may very well be my endgame tube amplifier. The longer the amp burns in, the fuller and lusher it sounds without sounding aggressively forward.
Best wishes to everyone.

Paolo
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Glad you made the right choice. The KT120s are very good and nice to have. I did try the KT-150s in an Audio Research power amp, and...no way. I love the KT120s, even knowing that they have less power. Gee, I really love my Classic 120SE too.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Hola Roberto,
Just to be clear, my 62SE was built to employ EL34s not KT120s.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

So it is not SE version, the SE version employs the KT-120s, or did you order it with the 6CA7/EL34s instead the KT-120s?
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

The Classic Sixty Two is also a great sounding power amp. The SE version comes with a special metal foil resistors, and Teflon Caps. Anyhow, you have wonderful sounding power amp too.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

I ordered the Classic 62 as an SE but wanted CJ to configure the amp for EL34s not KT120. I have a few reasons for doing so , not the least is some "insider info." In addition, I have many spare EL34's in my collection already. So yes, my Classic 62SE is indeed an SE except for KT120.
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

Hello Paolo,
How many hours are on the Classic 62 SE EL34 now? I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on the Classic 62SE with EL34 instead of KT120 tubes. I personally like the reissue Tung Sol 6550 vs KT120 when using Quad ESL 2805 and 2905 speakers. I have thought about trying EL34 tubes. Please share your thoughts.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Hello friends,

I decided to stop closely counting break-in hours at about the 300 mark. At that point I felt that the CLassic 62SE and the MAC C22 were sounding quite fine together. One night about a week ago, I was reading in my music room while the system was playing George Duke instrumental tracks as background music. I wasn't paying much attention to the SQ which was fine really, when I became aware that the system seemed to suddenly bloom even further, and "hold forth" at a new level.

I estimate that the amp and preamp had approximately 450 hours when I heard the "moment." I've not done any tube rolling nor have I changed out any cables or further treated the room. I want to get even more familiar with the amp and preamp first before making any additonal changes. I'm in the process of deciding whether I want to optimize the space for Magnepans or Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage.

@SolderSlinger
While I have a lot of experience with 6550, KT88, and more recently with EL34 tubes, I have never heard KT120 tubes so I can't comment on those except to say that more than one industry expert told me that the KT120's sound more like solid state in the Classic 62SE than EL34. That info plus the fact that I have quite a few EL34/KT77's on my spares shelf is why I had my 62SE biased for EL34's at the factory. What I can say is that I think the Classic 62SE is probably going to be my "endgame" tube amp.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Thst claim made on EL34's vs KT120's is not very accurate.

Yes, I agree there's a certain level of musicality that EL34's can offer but even then there's a fine line of power with finesse that KT120's can offer big time! To say that KT120's sound more solid state... I don't think so. In which case, the KT150 topology is even closer to SS and the KT170 is basically a KT120 on steroids! Those have huge levels of SS slam... if that's a personal preference.

It all depends on the system config. Very importantly on the speakers and its specs. If these are low efficiency speakers with notorious impedence swings then EL34's will break up. However, on low volume levels EL34's will be fine! I've used 35w to 60w tube amps successfully on Maggie's and Quads with the Prem11A, CAV50, CAV45, MV60, and Classic 60 all based on EL34's. It was fantastic!

However, switch that into larger settings, with much larger speaker in the high performance category: larger Maggie's, Apogee's, Full range stats like CLX's and large hybrids, EL34's have limitations. This is where KT120's really shine or even for that matter of choice 6550, KT90 or KT88. They all present a much higher plate current, which can generate a greater sense of drive and control factor over difficult loads. These types of big power amplifiers will use much larger power tubes in UL pentode mode. Look at VTL, ARC, Manley Labs and VAC, they all use much higher powered tubes. Manley Labs being the only exception in their 250-NEO monoblocks, which are fitted with EL34's but a large bank of them, approx 10 tubes per amp. Then comes their top of the line Neo-500 which uses KT90 tubes, again a lot of tubes per chassis (500w of KT90 finesse). I used these NEO-500's to drive the Maggie 20.7's, superb!

Then when considering our very own favourite- CJ, they hardly use EL34's in any of their larger monoblocks or even higher powered ones, they're all KT120's, KT150 or KT88.
Back in the day, during CJ's Premier series, they used EL34's extensively, later on switching to 6550's using the C type.

Now, with the different types of tubes that CJ uses, the major advantage of these higher powered tubes is their ability to hold a much higher Class A bias. So during most moderate levels of playback, you'll hear more of Class A operation. Increase levels and this fine playback quality switches into turbo mode, delivering awesome performance in dynamics and transient control. Still holds itself really well even at very high levels.

So if you do happen to audition any of CJ's EL34 based amps and compare it to the sheer brilliance of any of their higher powered ones (LP, Classic or ART series amplifiers) using the larger tubes, you'll notice straight away what I'm referring to.

Now, this doesn't mean that those more expensive higher powered amplifiers are better, certainly not! Like I said, it all depends on your systems config and what suits best.
There are those who simply adore the 300B SE tubes... they only put out 8 - 10w the most. If those were used to drive any of those speakers I mentioned above, those 300B's will blow flying across the room! However, use the 300B on a very high efficiency horn system like those Avant Garde Trio's, at 112dB ratings with 16 Ohms, even a rat sneezing will drive such speakers.

So it all depends on what type of system/ speakers you're installing the main amplifiers with. Nothing stays the same, not even the room!

Cheers, and do enjoy those finest tunes!
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Really good analysis here by RJ. I am also in the camp that I don't view tubes as more or less like solid state. Tubes offer a unique sound and within that category have different unique properties. I am currently running two CJ amps that take KT120's and EL34's. They have a different sound but would not consider either to be mimicking solid state.

At the end of the day, just trust your ears.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

My audio adventure is likely different than many. For decades, I enjoyed MFA tube separates. I suspect that many here have never heard MFA. The primary reason I sold, in retrospect, is now questionable to me. But so much for seller's regret. What is done is done.

Since then, I've found CJ tube gear to be the most agreeable tube components I have been able to audition. I could not care less at this point about debatable "nuance" and "differences." I just want my stereo system to sound good. I'm not yet 100% there but getting closer.

Music Si! Audio hyperbole NO!
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

I want to say that after break-in and system/human acclimatization, that the Classic 62SE/ EL34 amp is endgame. The other variables are speakers and preamp. I may try a CJ preamp but I think the MAC C22 certainly gets on nicely with the 62. I'm not eager to change anything now. In short, I am quite pleased with what I'm hearing and eager and content to deal with room acoustics which are likely much more important.

The Magnepan LRS+ as most of us are aware, represent wonderful value. I realize that some say Maggies are difficult to position but maybe because I've had years of experience with Magnepans, I certainly don't find this to be the case w/ the LRS+.

But as we know, "it's all relative." Isn't it?

Be well. Good listening to all.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I completely agree here. No reason to keep chasing the unicorn constantly. Sounds like you have a system that sounds great. Perfect, now sit and enjoy those sweet tunes. I think many audiophiles get caught up in the constant "have to get better/different gear" cycle and they miss out on the enjoyment of their current system as all they think about is the next "upgrade".

My personal view is that the Magnepan LRS+ is not just "wonderful value", I think it is the BEST value in dollar vs performance in the current market. It's very hard to get new half-decent speakers for a few thousand, the fact that the LRS+ is just under $1k is nothing short of amazing. I can't think of any other speaker in that price range that matches the performance, price, and is not made by slave labor.

You've got a great system. Enjoy.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that's a definite.

If you're happy with it, just leave it there and enjoy the music. It certainly seems like you've found what you're looking for and only then you'll be content with your system.

Now, all you have to do is pour that Scotch and light that cigar. Oh, and do enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ