ET5 Preamp-120V in a 230V country?

The PV-1 to now...
artoly
Regular
Regular

ET5 Preamp-120V in a 230V country?

Post by artoly »

Is it possible (and relatively easy) to change a 120V ET5 preamp to 230/240 volt? and does the hertz difference matter? (60 USA vs. 50 in NZ).
I am looking at a 120V ET5 for sale here, but not sure what I might be getting myself into if I buy it. My electrical DIY skills are limited and their is no CJ distributer/service centre in my country to send it to.

If it cannot easily be converted internally, then any recommendations for quality/brand/suggestions for step-down transformers (or advice not to if it is a bad idea)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ET5 Preamp-120V in a 230V country?

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us

Going from 120v to 240v is relatively easy as it only requires rewiring of the transformer. If memory serves, we have the transformer wiring diagram to make the change but I am not 100% certain the wire colors are still the same so that may be something you would want to check with a tech, especially if your electrical skills are "limited" as you say. Also be real careful as you are working with the power supply so if you wire it wrong and say put a live wire on the ground, you are going to get a very unpleasant surprise when you turn the unit on. This can be dangerous stuff if you don't understand what you are doing.

The frequency difference shouldn't matter.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
artoly
Regular
Regular

Post by artoly »

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm a new-ish CJ owner following a Premier 350 purchase a couple of months ago. It's been great and has provided a big uplift to my system.
That has made me wonder what a CJ pre would bring to the party (currently running a Naim preamp, which I expect is an unusual mix, but it does have some good qualities). To see any CJ's in the New Zealand market is unusual, so I am hoping that the currently available ET5 might be good to try with the older Prem 350. Thanks for confirming that the right tech person could change the voltage fairly easily on the ET5, and that the frequency variances shouldn't matter (and noted regarding electrical risks).
artoly
Regular
Regular

Post by artoly »

I should also have asked more specifically for any thoughts about pairing an ET5 with a Prem 350 (rather than me just assuming it would be good). Any feedback on this would also be appreciated.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think an ET5 paired with a Premier 350 would make an excellent pairing. Both are top tier components and because they are both CJ, a good pairing is essentially guaranteed. Naim is nice but I agree with you, it's probably not a common pairing with CJ. That certainly does not mean "bad" however. If I had a choice of a Premier 350 with an ET5 vs Naim, well, yeah I would certainly go with the 350,... but as the person who runs a CJ fansite,.. my opinion may be just a little biased.... just a little. :)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
artoly
Regular
Regular

Post by artoly »

Thank you @admin. That's good enough for me and I will see if I can secure the purchase of the ET5.