PV5 restored and upgraded by Bill Thalmann

A nice place to sell, buy, and trade anything (without the fees). See something on sale at another site, talk about it here.
FoilDgetter83
Beginner
Beginner

PV5 restored and upgraded by Bill Thalmann

Post by FoilDgetter83 »

Someone on the A&M site recommended that I check this site out for interest in used CJ gear and this is my first post.
My PV5 has been sitting dormant because it doesn't mesh well with my McIntosh MC30's and modded La Scalas. The CJ was sublime with my Pass X250's and Peter Gunn Maggies, but the midrange "bloom" that was voiced into this preamp is more accentuated with my current system.
Bill Thalmann who designed this preamp had fully restored and upgraded it in 2004 and made some upgrades in 2013. It's too bad that Bill had to close shop recently.
I have the original box and owners manual as I purchased it from the original owner.
It works flawlessly and hasn't been used very much since I sold my Pass in the summer of 2022.
Amperex foil D-getter 12ax7's in the phono stage and GE 5 star 5751's metal clip and and Raytheon Windmill getters are included, as they are the best sounding tubes I have for this preamp. Bill also cut openings in the top cover so I could replace the 5965A's with NOS Amperex pinched waist E180CC/7062 D-getter tubes that are taller (EL84 height) and wouldn't fit with the cover on. When Bill originally upgraded it in 2004, he took the balance and mode switches out of the signal path and put fast recovery diodes and some new caps in the signal path. In 2013 he modded the cover for the V4 and V8 sockets and replaced the power cord with an IEC outlet so you can choose your own power cord.
Had I not moved to an all vintage vacuum tube setup, I would still be using this preamp.
Any reasonable offer will be considered. Since I don't see many PV5's for sale as most people hold on to them, it's tough to name a price.
If you want to check my references as both buyer and seller, my eBay moniker is singleendtriode and Audiogon moniker is elviscostello. I have never received negative feedback in the 20+ years of transactions on either site.
Thanks for looking, and I'll be glad to post pictures if someone is interested.
FoilDgetter83
Beginner
Beginner

Re: PV5 restored and upgraded by Bill Thalmann

Post by FoilDgetter83 »

CJ1.jpg
CJ1.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 838 times
CJ2.jpg
CJ2.jpg (868.89 KiB) Viewed 838 times
CJ3.jpg
CJ3.jpg (695.7 KiB) Viewed 838 times
CJ4.jpg
CJ4.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 838 times
CJ5.jpg
CJ5.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 838 times
CJ6.jpg
CJ6.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 838 times
CJ7.jpg
CJ7.jpg (814.89 KiB) Viewed 838 times
FoilDgetter83
Beginner
Beginner

Re: PV5 restored and upgraded by Bill Thalmann

Post by FoilDgetter83 »

All of the shielding on the bottom and inside cover was added by Bill. The rubber feet were isolation feet I purchased from George Merrill, who, if you aren't familiar with, is known for AR turntable mods and upgrades and are an improvement over the original feet (which I should still have).