Oh! For the love of tubes!

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
MattHooper
Pro
Pro

Re: Oh! For the love of tubes!

Post by MattHooper »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:13 am Attn Admin:

We have quite a bit of drama down unda at the moment, with regards to tube suppliers. Basically, most are out of stock! The more common ones, EL34's, 6550's, KT88's, and the 12A series are still available. However, it's the KT120, KT150, 6N30P and 6922 equivalents that are out and if any of our suppliers happen to have any stock, pricing is generally 3 to 4 times more than what it was. For example, a matched set of quad KT120's were around $800. Now, this same tube supplier is charging around $2800 for a quad set. That's just nuts! Plus there's a wait time of several months!

So, what I decided is to use the other equivalents that can be safely used with no issues: KT88, 6550C or KT90. I've tried all of these types on my monoblocks, no issues. They all sounded quite different in their own way and yet very musical. I certainly do prefer the KT120 but if prices are going haywire, there are other alternatives.

Also don't compromise on the brand and make. Always get the best you can afford, otherwise overall performance of the amplifiers will diminish. Definitely don't want that!

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
Those tube prices and scarcity are like what we had in North America during the early tube shortage. But it seems supply has come roaring back for most tubes, including the Tung-Sol KT120s and 6550s which had disappeared for quite a while. I wonder why you guys down under aren't getting tubes.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Who knows mate.

At the moment over here it's a doggies world right now. I'm not really bothered about tooobs, I'll find a way to keep my tube gear going. What's really annoying and down right shameful are the cases of corporate greed that are coming to light. It's everywhere! From govt to consulting firms, even our own air line Quantas. What a mind boggling turn of events. I know this is off topic, it's something similar to the four big auto makers in the US, now they're all on strike demanding their fair share of wages. Good on them!

I'm not sure as to why our local tube suppliers are having issues but I'm quite sure they're making more of a fuss about it and trying to capitalise on the situation, if there's a situation. I'm keeping a close eye on things though, might end up ordering from the US once again. Our prices are completely out of whack!

Each time a tooob fails or weakens, I get that much closer to thinking about SS gear. However, when I do replace that tooob and sit back and enjoy those fine tunes... then I say, oh, for the love of tubes! Just gotta love it!

Woof! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:12 am Each time a tooob fails or weakens, I get that much closer to thinking about SS gear. However, when I do replace that tooob and sit back and enjoy those fine tunes... then I say, oh, for the love of tubes! Just gotta love it!

Woof! RJ
Exactly. SS is so much more hassle free, but just not the same!

I truly hope the tube supply issues are going to abate soon but we'll see. It does seem like there is tube availability but the prices are still exaggerated.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
MattHooper
Pro
Pro

Post by MattHooper »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:12 am

Each time a tooob fails or weakens, I get that much closer to thinking about SS gear. However, when I do replace that tooob and sit back and enjoy those fine tunes... then I say, oh, for the love of tubes! Just gotta love it!

Woof! RJ
I can't do it.

I keep flirting with SS, occasionally trying it in my system and I go running back to embrace my CJ tube amps every time. I simply haven't heard an SS
driven system that provides the sound I want. And I love how tube rolling has dialed in that sound so precisely to what I'm looking for.

That said, I'm using a Benchmark LA4 preamp as well as my CJ Premier 16LS2. I go back and forth and like each. But since the Premier 12s are powering the system, I still get that tube magic.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

I am with MattHooper. I cannot abandon tubes and I have tried repeatedly.
MattHooper
Pro
Pro

Post by MattHooper »

Paolo wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:47 pm I am with MattHooper. I cannot abandon tubes and I have tried repeatedly.
My CJs, properly tube rolled, are creating a massive panorama of thick, warm, organic sound that no SS amp I've ever heard could
mimic. Of course SS amps have their own virtues...but they don't create THIS sound.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Very true maties, very true.
That's why we're all here!

Oh, for the love of tooobs!
That deserves a mighty WOOF!
Tail wagging!!! RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

For those who have the KT120, now are at $100.00 each.

Here is the link:https://upscaleaudio.com/products/tung-sol-kt120

Regarding the tube sound, the tube sound offers the real thing with much naturalness than any other kind of electronics. Easy to service and very easy for our ears.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice to see the KT120's are coming down in price. I've been praying to the music gods that I don't have failures in the ART monoblocks.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Upscale doesn't sell overseas direct, unless you provide a US address then have to re-route to Aus. It's a pain in butt... so doesn't suit us folk down unda. During re-routing and handling, these delicate tooobs are bouncing off the walls, not worth saving the $$$ for busted tooobs on arrival.

Small signal tubes, no issues. Even if one's broken it can be replaced for a few bucks. Power tubes is a costly gig!
I guess that's what we pay for. Oh, for the love of tooobs.
RJ
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Their KT120s are only available to customers who purchased PrimaLuna amps from them.

From their web site:

"We are restricting sales of these tubes to customers who have purchased PrimaLuna amplifiers from Upscale Audio at this time. Sorry, no exceptions. Your email address will be matched to purchase at checkout."
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dang. I guess I have to keep praying to the music gods...
-admin
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Upscale's web site does seem to indicate they ship internationally. Maybe it's for equipment but not tubes? Or, maybe the information is out of date but this is what it says:

Shipping Charges, Customs & Duty on Foreign Orders
International shipping rates are determined by weight, box size, destination, and value. If you do not approve the shipping charge, then you have the option to not proceed with the order. If you are ordering an item that will be shipped outside of the U.S. you must understand one thing: You will be charged customs, duty, and brokerage fees. These fees are assessed by your country's government and the shipping agent. You are not paying these fees to Upscale Audio. It is a federal offense to falsify customs documents, and Upscale Audio will not falsify any documents or receipts under any circumstances.

It is solely the responsibility of the customer to immediately pay all duties, taxes and customs fees assessed by your country's government and the shipping agent you have chosen. Upscale Audio has no input, opinion, or any information regarding the amount these fees may add up to. It is your responsibility as the buyer to determine this information prior to making your purchase.

If the customer's duty & customs fees are charged back to Upscale Audio, it will result in an additional charge to the customer's credit card or Paypal account of a sum equal to all international customs fees assessed for the order, plus a handling fee of $100.

In the event of a warranty claim, overseas buyers will be responsible for the ship charges associated with the warranty replacement shipment.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Here are another web addresses for the tung sol KT120...
https:/www.banzaimusic.com/Tungsol-KT120.html
https://iconaudio.com/tungsol-kt120-kt120
http://www.granada-audio.com/index.php? ... uct_id=202
https://www.laboratoriomusicale.net/en/ ... wer-tubes/

the last address is the least expensive price.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

Look, I like the sound of tubes.... BUT, anyone who says there's no SS competition just hasn't listened to a SIT amplifier....

Imagine triode like sound with 35 wpc and reliability.

The problem? Well, they are unobtanium, they don't make them any more. If you look you can find them, still. But, like the Sony VFETs... good luck. I have one amp, a clone First Watt SIT3 on the shelf and one is on the final stages of construction, a clone First Watt SIT4.

Trust me, they sound glorious.

Class A SIT power!

And those class A Pass amps... well, not SIT but they sound fantastic.

IMHO version of heaven, it's tubes and transformers for line level amplification... but I prefer class A amps. Although, I must say, I keep a recently rebuilt ( with Svetlana 6550s ) ARC D70-II.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that's quite right tonye.

There are some very fine SS gear that are fabulous but available at the price of a few sedans! I've auditioned these and have found them to be awe-inspiring: Dartzeel, CH Precision, Solution, and Aries Cerat are the ones I've really admired. Their price tags are at the ultra-high-end of the spectrum, I suppose they cater to a certain clientele.

On a slightly lower platform but equally outstanding, I came across three makes, I've short listed two and have finalised on one: Pass Labs XA60.8, Vitus SS-103 and the Gryphon Mephisto. I home trialed all three and decided on the XA60.8 amps, simply because of that pure Class A design. It's definitely a superb example of SS at its finest!

Having said that, tube gear will always have a certain level of musicality that SS can't match, it's the nature of tubes. Call it coloured, warm, enveloping affect, caramel sweetness, whatever,... they have a very unique type of sound that's full of life, soul and spirit. It's never a dull moment.

It may be inaccurate compared to a fine SS design as mentioned above but one thing it does extremely well is brings out the essence of the recording. It's something I look forward to listening nearly everyday, if time permits.
There will come a time where tube maintenance will get more and more costly, and that's when I'll change over.

For now, the tunes are full of life! The heart and soul of the music is in full presence, and CJ just happens to get it right!
It's a highly personal preference and the majority of CJ owners will agree. Of course there are a few exceptions and some have moved on...
As for the rest of us tube loving mates, we're just enjoying those fine tunes!

Cheers, RJ
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Well said, RJ. I've only heard one of the brands you mentioned and it was at the NY Audio years ago. CH Precision driving Zellaton speakers. It was one of my favorites at the show. But we're talking big bucks.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh yes! The Zellaton speakers, superb!!!

Speaking of which, JF exclusively uses Zellaton as a reference point with CJ design gear. That pretty much sums it up! In the past, they used Wilson's but times have certainly changed.

One of our former dealer mates in Spore, also uses Zellaton's as his primary reference in all demos. So many customers walk in and ask how much... his reply, not for sale! It's one of those very high performance speakers that brings out the absolute sound. Partnered with top end gear, it's a phenomenal combination.

If I were to use a CJ full ART line up, I'd partner the ART gear with Zellaton. And of course, I'll still have the CLX's somewhere in the room.

Cheers Joe mate, and enjoy those finest tunes.
Woof! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm a planar guy but if I ever went to traditionally cone speakers (and had the budget), Zellaton would probably my go to choice as well.

Now I just need to win the lottery to make that 2nd Zellaton setup a reality!
-admin
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

I buy tubes from a Canadian company, Parts Connexion. Good prices, especially during a sale, and the matched tubes are closely matched.

https://partsconnexion.com/

They had stock of KT120 up until today. KT150 are in stock. Power tube prices are for a matched pair.