Oh! For the love of tubes!

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oh! For the love of tubes!

Post by admin »

Very sorry to hear about your friend roberto.

Completely agree with your experiences.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

C54A1DBD-D7D6-48EE-8396-7CD52DB883B7.JPG
C54A1DBD-D7D6-48EE-8396-7CD52DB883B7.JPG (2.35 MiB) Viewed 7329 times

This is the huge Lampizador Big Seven that I was listening in my system...the overall sound is high quality too. The tubes were removed for transportation.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

IMG_8662.PNG
IMG_8662.PNG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 7329 times
Here are the Pass Labs
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Definitely some nice gear there. I've always liked the look of clear transparent tops but have always had a dreadful fear that I would overtighten one of the screws and crack the cover. I think the Pass Labs should be a relatively easy sell, the Lampizador is going to have a smaller audience of potential buyers.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah! The Pass Labs XA series, beautifully designed.
Apart from all those very lofty SS designs, this Pass XA gear is my favourite of all time!

In fact, it was this very amplifier, XA30.8, that made me finalise on the CLX's after the wonderful audition at my very good mates place.
A point in note: based on what Robbo was referring to as the "metallic sound" yes, this is apparently the case with most SS gear.

*However * this metallic sound can be very easily sorted out with a tube preamp. The CJ line up matches really well with the XA series gear, and the XA amplifiers must be left on standby mode and never completely powered off (unless of course you were on long vacation). The Mos-Fet output devices take a while to nicely warm up properly, reaching a certain thermal temp... then the music just flows with some fine tunes from pure Class A finesse!

The XA60.8 amplifiers are the monoblock version of the XA30.8 and they're superb! I've had them here driving the CLX's to full potential and it was really lifelike! Of course I didn't have either the GATS2 or Art88 for that matter, that would've been on another dimension! It was still mighty fine on my modded CT5.

Then I tried out the XA160.8's and those took things to another level and I noticed the sheer brilliance in utter effortless dynamics, having 160w Class A full tilt! No holds barred then there's the XA200.8, which is the XA series top dog but I didn't try those out. After experiencing the XA60.8 monoblocks, that was good enough! It was awesome 👌

Then of course, switching back to all tube monoblocks, and everything seems just right! That lifelike presence, natural tones in their true sense and most of all, a very high level of musicality, just gotta love it! Oh for the love of tooobs.

Woof! RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Just to add further;

Attn: Admin
With your Art monoblocks, they have quite a high Class A bias before switching into AB. Although your Maggie MG20's do like more power and aren't so efficient... what's really driving and controlling them is the high voltage and high current capacity of these amplifiers. The power is very stable throughout the full spectrum, so unless you listen crazy loud, most of your sessions from moderate levels are in fact Class A.

Now consider the ART300's and you have a higher Class A bias per monoblock, this is even further elevated and ideal for difficult loads. Then considering the ART108A's, this is full swing 160w Class A, so really top notch! This is the sole reason JF had to introduce something of awe-inspiring amplification... not just another upgrade but serious Class A performance. Whether this price tag is justifiable or not, I really don't know. One thing for sure is their overall performance surpasses an awful lot of its competitors, even comparing to the ultra-high-end. So in that case the price tag would be justified.

Then we have the Classic 120/se and the ART150 series, matched with the perfect tube preamp, and driving a high performance speaker system, this is already SOTA level. So in which case here the price tag is fully justified!
The only thing that I can see from this point onwards is the way our economy has turned out and the way the world is turning (thanks to our human madness, unnecessary wars etc) the price range on highend audio gear is getting further away from most audiophiles and music lovers in general. It's definitely heading towards a very wealthy market segment and some of whom don't have a clue about listening to recorded music. As long as the price suits them the gear will sell.

So maties, as I've said many times before, just hold onto your precious CJ tube gear, it's far more worth than you think! Oh, for the love of tooobs!

Cheers, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Excellent summary RJ.

Class A really does sound amazing. My ART monoblocks seem to handle the requirements of the Maggies without any issue. Although I don't listen to them very loud, the sound has been completely smooth without any indication that the amps can't keep up. I'm sure the new ART108A's take everything to the next level, but for right now I am extremely happy with the ART monoblocks. I was very fortunate to have acquired them via a local sale and a bargain.
-admin
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

Try the old Aleph 2 amps... excellent over the Maggie 1.7s.

However, for the Maggies 3s and above you need more power.... Aleph 1.2s if you can find them.

As I recall, the XA amps go into push/pull?
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day maties! Trust y'all are keeping well and most of all looking fab!

So my quest for that so called perfect SS power amp, is well still on a quest. This is now my 13th amplifier I've home trialled and just thought I'd look at integrsteds as an option.

This one is the Burmester integrated 032, a fine piece of jewellery! Wonderful to look at. Had it over last weekend, not too shabby at all I must say. It drove the CLX's quite well, very good grip and control factor, overall performance tops! However, it had a very edgy sizzle, shimmer and sparkle that I don't prefer. It's very lively that's for sure, not ever a dull moment. The chappy at the store claimed it may be my Nordost cables or the use of SE interconnects vs XLR... not really. At the store the 032 amp was driving the ML Montis hybrid stats, with all source gear connected in XLR, it still had those sizzling and shimmery affect. Even worse on the CLX's, since they're full range stats, all those extra sparkles are quite obvious.

Anyway it was promptly returned today and as I'm listening to the awe-inspiring tube gear, there really is nothing to compare at this level. The SS gear just cannot recreate what tubes do, regardless of tube types (EL34, KT88, KT90, 6550C, KT120, KT150 and so on). There's so much more soul and pure grit in the heart of the music and its atmosphere that SS gear simply cannot replicate. It's the physics and it's very different.

Having said that, in reference to SS, it's the Pass Labs XA60.8 monoblocks that still holds the podium and is at the top of my list, so the quest continues.

For those looking for a supremely well built integrated solution, with plenty of power, highly stable voltage and high current, plus a very lively presence, I would recommend the Burmester 032. There's another version that's identical to this one, the 082 but I think the 032 has a higher current capacity in Class A bias operation before it switches into AB. In a well thought out system of beauty and grace, carefully set up in a nice home, this particular Burmester gear will add that striking finish of style and finesse. Beautiful piece of machinery. Fine art!

Other than that, I just prefer tooobs, and CJ design is right up there. Oh, for the love of tubes!
Do enjoy those finest tunes.
RJ
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (15.02 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Burmester makes some incredible gear. Not sure how much "better" you can get in the SS world. Maybe, something like Dartzeel, but now the price is going through the roof.

RJ, I think you are a tube guy like the rest of us. Why try to find SS options when it's the tube sound you like?
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:22 am
For those looking for a supremely well built integrated solution, with plenty of power, highly stable voltage and high current, plus a very lively presence, I would recommend the Burmester 032. There's another version that's identical to this one, the 082 but I think the 032 has a higher current capacity in Class A bias operation before it switches into AB. In a well thought out system of beauty and grace, carefully set up in a nice home, this particular Burmester gear will add that striking finish of style and finesse. Beautiful piece of machinery.
I auditioned the 032 extensively last summer with Wilson Sasha Daws and a Transparent Connoisseur level loom. Sources were Rossini Apex, and Clearaudio Master Innovation with Jubilee MC. Of the integrated amps in the under $30k range, it was the best.

Admin mentions DarTZeel as a competitor. Not for me. CH is another name drop that’s not floating my boat. Nagra would be serious completion.

In any event, I went to buy an integrated amp, but ended up buying Burmester separates which were (sadly for my wallet),clearly better.

Why turn to SS when you think you love tubes? Because the tube market is unreliable. I’ve sold most of my tubes and tube gear. I still have the ARC Ref Phono 3SE and supporting spares. I’ve got enough tubes to last many years.

After 6+ months of living with Burmester, I am even more thrilled today than when I made the choice. Same is true for the Sasha DAWs, Transparent Connoisseur level loom, Rossini Apex, and assorted turntables. I have a “new to me” Clearaudio Master Reference that I’ve saved from becoming a roach.
IMG_1159.jpeg
IMG_1159.jpeg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 1858 times
It is getting a second tonearm right now, a TT-2 linear tracker) and will soon be moved to a final position.

I still have a couple of much loved late model LP12s, and a Dual 1009 for 78s.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh! Nice one there AJ mate, and welcome back to CJO!
It was about time you got back with your well written posts.

Yes, as Admin said, I'm definitely a tooob chappy, there's no denying that. However, as rightly pointed out, our tube suppliers Down Unda aren't holding up stock too well, and their pricing is off-putting. Apart from price & stock, reliability is another issue. Another good mate of mine ordered 8 KT120's for his CJ amp, and out of the 8, 3 of them were red plating... same supplier I deal with and the exact same problem I encountered during my last KT120 order. He promptly replaced them but with much grumpiness and profanity. That's basically the nature of this particular animal.

Going through CJ direct is the only viable option for us folks with those precious tooobs arriving safely all the way from VA to Melb... can't hold my breath on that. The small signal tubes aren't the issue to source, it's the big fellas.

So, that's why I've decided to go SS just as a back up or a second amplifier to have, which would be operating most of the time. Then when I'm on my off days, where I listen well into the wee hrs of the morning (which is what I'm doing as I'm typing this), I'll fire up the CJ monoblocks. I won't ever sell these CJ amps, no way. I've never been any happier and these are special mods that have come a long way.

I was very pleased with the Burmester 032 being an Integrated, it has an excellent preamp stage. So when I plugged in the Esoteric digital player and the CJ phonostage, it was really tops! That extra level of liveliness is something I need to get used to perhaps, I don't know.
But the thing is I really missed the CJ Linestage being my favourite CT5. I was seriously considering the ART88 or whatever top of the line is available within the next few years but I really need to draw the line at some point. Otherwise things get out of hand.

I can certainly see where the value is on the Burmester 032, being a two gear system on a single chassis. Whereas the Pass Labs XA60.8 amps were similarly priced but just two monoblocks, though. This is where I can still use my CT5.

The CJ phonostage through the B-032 was very nice compared to the Eso player. Maybe the Eso was a bit too sparkly... squeaky clean sort of thing, I don't know. Then when I just revert back to the CJ monoblocks, Oh! For the love of tooobs.

What a luxurious problem to have in this absurd world we live in. I think I'm losing the plot!
Anyway, in order to avoid the dog house or duck pond, and keep the Mrs full of love... I've decided not to go the Dartzeel route, definitely not! Although that was a close one... being the duck pond- quack quack!

So, the quest for that right fit SS amp continues. There are three dealers at this stage eyeing my CJ gear. All three of them have visited and haven't left the house till nearly 3am. I know why they want to do a trade-in deal with their fine SS gear they carry. But I'm not ready as yet. I'll give it another few years, until then the home trials will continue.

Cheers, and enjoy those very fine tunes!
Woofty woof'n! RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I think one of the coolest things about my present array of mostly SS gear is that I can leave it on 24/7. It is always warmed up in steady state and ready to sound gorgeous, except for the ARC Ref Phono 3SE. I have to turn that on about half an hour before I plan to play records.

FWIW, my Burmester 088 has a built in, very adjustable MC phono stage. But to my ears the tubed 3SE sounds more inviting. I like the stand alone Burmester phono stage … but not well enough to fork over the coins to replace the delightful and versatile 3SE.

I had hoped that the TungSol factory in Russia would buy ARC and move tube manufacturing into ARC overly large facility, but it was not to be. As Kevin Deal says, every tube manufactured will be sold by someone. It is just to hard to guarantee either quality or life at this point. McIntosh has a large stash that they’ve badged as McIntosh for their customers. And, of course, Western Electric has control of their tube supply. But all the others are at the mercy of unfriendly, fickle sources.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:57 am But all the others are at the mercy of unfriendly, fickle sources.
And this is my biggest concern. I don't think their can be relatively inexpensive quality tube production in the West. Russian sources are shut down for all intents and purposes. And we have not seen quality tubes coming out of Asia. I was hoping that the Ukrainian war was going to be a short lived hiccup but that is not what has transpired and I don't see any near end to that situation.

I agree that tubed gear is somewhat of a risky proposition in today's world.
-admin
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

One reason I decided to have my Classic 62 SE biased for EL34's is the that those tubes are fortunately still readily available, not to mention that I have a few quads set aside including KT77. With regard to SS, I'm finding that my Accuphase E-280 paired with the Guarneri Homage (s) is, for my listening habits completely enjoyable and I could live happily ever-after should I decide to get off the tube "roller coaster."

One big plus of SS gear, as our esteemed brother AJ points out, is the ability to leave it on and ready to go, 24/7.
pehare
New User
New User

Post by pehare »

Paolo please let me know if you decide to get off the tube roller coaster - the Classic 62 SE biased for EL34's is at the Top of my list as well considering the expense of output tubes, KT120 vs EL34's.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

@pehare,

I sure will. At the moment I'm running the Accuphase only, pending further reorganization of my components, cables, etc, and my entire listening area. Once I get that sorted out I'll have a much better idea of where I'm at. Thanks for your inquiry. I'm not sure I'll want to part with the 62Se but am certainly glad I had JF bias the amp for EL34's.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Got an update from my dealer mate, the Nordost Qbase8 latest version has arrived, finally! It took a while for them to config an Aus version on the latest MK3 power board.

He said it wasn't in high demand for two main reasons:
1. After the MK1 & MK2 versions were released, they were good enough that most people didn't really care about the Mk3 version.
2. Audiophile population is a tiny tiny percentage compared to larger markets, especially USA and Asia, plus the extra pricing really didn't justify the extra expense.

I certainly agree to that, the only possible way to know was when I did a direct comparison, both during the demo and at home. I guess he knew that I'd confer at the end of an audition, since I did a home trial. He was that confident about this product. Now to think of it, I wouldn't really recommend immediately jumping from the MK1 or MK2 version onto the MK3, either of these are mighty fine in any highend installation. It's just a matter of preference and which types of systems would further benefit from using such accessories.

Will report in due course, after Wednesday.
Woof! RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Just received an update from Watford Valves UK. They now have stock of the Mullard M8080 / 6C4 single Triode. Still priced at 16 pounds, not too shabby at all.

Attn: Admin
These tubes are used in the Input gain stage of your ART monoblocks, as well as my amplifiers. So it's reassuring to know that Derrek is on the ball. These NOS M8080 Mullards are designed on the Box anodes, very robust, long lasting and highly musical. Fantastic sonics in the midrange. I've been using Watford for several years now, apart from the original spares of Mullards I had ordered from CJ directly. They're still going!
Oh, for the love of tooobs.

Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

My source within ARC isn’t worried.

He says orders go through EHX NY, tubes ship directly from Russia. Tung Sol, Sovtek, and EH all available.

Select JJ from the Slovak Republic also available.

I’m personally still leery. ARC and CJ both have all their eggs in the tube basket. So they’re forging ahead as though there’s no issue.

Meanwhile, I don’t think I would return … I really prefer the Burmester gear. The detail, tonal pallette, dynamics, and control just match better to my ears. No incentive to go looking for another option.

I’d go full current McIntosh solid state before I’d go back to tubes. In direct comparisons, it is modestly priced and an excellent performer.