The PV-1 to now...
sriram_shol
Beginner
Beginner

PF-1 power rating for step down transformer

Post by sriram_shol »

Hi,

This is Sriram from India.

I recently got a PF-1 pre amplifier for my stereo. As this is 117VAC - 60Hz model, I would need a step down transformer.

Can any one suggest what would be the power requirement / rating for this to use in India (240V - 50Hz is the standard here)?

There are several step down transformer options available in Amazon but I am unsure of what would be the watts (100W / 150W / 500W) needed to run it. Because in the rear side of the pre amp, there is a mention just about 117VAC - 60Hz. Thats it.

Appreciate your help!

Regards,
Sriram.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PF-1 power rating for step down transformer

Post by admin »

First, welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us.

The PF1 has a very small power requirement, so if you get something with at least 100 watt power capacity it should not be a problem as I would estimate that it probably uses less than 25 watts. You can always go higher if you want to be extra safe.

The line frequency is another matter. I want to say that it probably does not matter as all the 240v conversions I've seen for CJ gear ignore the frequency and only change the voltage management. Perhaps somebody with more experience can chime in on the frequency concern.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
sriram_shol
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sriram_shol »

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I should be good with a step down at 100W power capacity I guess.

I will revert if I have any further queries.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola. As far as I know, all Conrad Johnson products are made with all posible power voltages. Just take a look inside, follow the main AC line, and you will see what I mean.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

roberto wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:25 am Hola. As far as I know, all Conrad Johnson products are made with all posible power voltages. Just take a look inside, follow the main AC line, and you will see what I mean.

Happy listening!
I think what Roberto means is that you can configure all CJ products to both 120 and 240v. This does require opening up the case and rewiring at the transformer. For the PF-1, this would also mean replacing the power cord as it is not removable (or you can use a plug converter), but if you are going to do a full conversion, I would change the plug as well,... maybe even put in an IEC connector.

But if you don't want to do any rewiring or re-power cording, then a transformer would need to be used.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thanks Admin,

You are right with this!!! All I know is that.

On the other hand, you can configure the pre for AC input 120 V. or 240V. But I forgot the AC cable and the connectors. Yes, you need a special IEC 240V AC plug and cable.

Just thinking loud, this could be a nice DIY project or you might take it to an electronic workshop where they can do it for you, new power cable and the IEC female chassis connector and the power cable for 240V. Also to change the input voltage is an easy task.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.