CAV45 S1 vs S2?

From tubes to solid state.
retroactiv
Advanced
Advanced

CAV45 S1 vs S2?

Post by retroactiv »

Hello,
I have the opportunity to purchase a used cav45 s1, but I was originally looking for S2.
Sonically, is there any difference between the two? I think the speaker posts are better on S2 and little more power but those don't mean a lot to me. I'm mostly only concerned about if one sounds better or not.
Thanks.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CAV45 S1 vs S2?

Post by admin »

First, welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us.

As for differences between the s1 and s2 versions, quoted from a review of the s2:
The S2 version addresses the plastic binding posts, now replaced with a gorgeous pair from Cardas. The three transformers may look a bit old school aesthetically, according to Jeff Fischel (president of CJ), they are significantly upgraded and are now the same ones used in the Classic 62. (read Rob Johnson’s review of the Classic 62SE here) Combining the new, unregulated power supply (with three times the storage capacity) and the wideband output transformers, the S2 version of the CAV-45 now produces 60 watts per channel.
How much better the s2 is vs the s1 is for your ears to determine but it's definitely more than just binding posts.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.