Greetings from the Midwest

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
listentothemusic
Beginner
Beginner

Greetings from the Midwest

Post by listentothemusic »

I just registered here as I am thinking about acquiring a used CJ MF-2500A amp. I owned a Sonographe SA150 amp many years ago and currently use a McCormack DNA-0.5 amp to power my Magnepan MG12 speakers. I figured it might be good to mull around here a bit to gather more information for my quest...so...here I am! :D
Analog: VPI Super Prime Scout + Benz Micro Glider SL > Gold Note Ph-10 + PSU-10 PS | Digital: JRiver Media Center > Schiit Bifrost 2 or Cambridge CXN V2 | Back End: Manley Shrimp preamp > McCormack DNA-0.5 amp > Magnepan MG12 speakers
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from the Midwest

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us!

CJ and maggies are always a great combination. I use a pair of magnepan 20.1's. Looks like you are a solid state guy (or girl, don't want to presume). Have you considered some of CJ's tube offerings? They also sound mighty fine with maggies.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
listentothemusic
Beginner
Beginner

Post by listentothemusic »

Thank you!

I typically use solid state power amps mainly due to their lack of power tube expense and heat! I use a tube preamp (Manley Shrimp) which then passes the music onto my McCormack DNA-0.5 amp. I'd like to get a bit more warmth to my sound...and having some extra power never hurts either!
Analog: VPI Super Prime Scout + Benz Micro Glider SL > Gold Note Ph-10 + PSU-10 PS | Digital: JRiver Media Center > Schiit Bifrost 2 or Cambridge CXN V2 | Back End: Manley Shrimp preamp > McCormack DNA-0.5 amp > Magnepan MG12 speakers
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Greetings from down unda.

Ah, the Manley Shrimp, nice and simple preamp.
That's a great combination with Manley Labs and the CJ MF2500A, driving Maggie's great stuff!

Many moons ago, I used Manley Labs larger monoblocks REF350's and the bigger VTL Wotans to drive Maggie's as well. Those were the MG3.3, MG3.5 and MG3.6. Preamps at the time were CJ's PFR and the ART preamp. That was mighty wonderful!

I like your choice of phono cartridge, I'm also using the BM Glider SM series with a CJ phonostage TEA2SE Max. Fantastic cartridge, a real top performer and true vfm.

The MF2500A will really drive your MG12's optimally, they'll nicely open up and you'll experience more depth in soundstage, so not only better drive, control and dynamics.
That's a very good set-up.

Enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ