Current The Audio Beat Articles

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Current The Audio Beat Articles

Post by Joe Appierto »

@AJ this is especially for you although I know you are attuned (no pun intended) to news in this hobby of ours. These are two articles that I haven't read as yet but will, that I think will be of interest to you. If you're already familiar with them perhaps other members will be interested.

https://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/dcs_lina_clock.htm

And

https://www.theaudiobeat.com/news/wilso ... asha_v.htm

The Sasha V article is from June 28th so it isn't "new" but figured I would include it as well.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Current The Audio Beat Articles

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Thanks Joe!

Emron Mangelson and John Giolas have both advised me to go for the Apex mod first, and then the Rossini clock, but I’m still digesting the Burmester bite, so it may be a while.

The other thing that really reduces my desire to make more changes is that I am at a point where I can’t fathom what further improvements might be like.

But at least a couple of guys I know who have done the Apex update and added the master clock just roll their eyes and drool when they let themselves think about the supreme goodness of these upgrades.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Last night I noticed a new release of Martha Argerich playing some Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky pieces. I like Martha’s drama, and was not disappointed by the performance.

I then wondered what the stream of her legendary Chopin competition would sound like, so I played that too. She brings true Art to Performance.

I thought her play was marvelous, but the sound, ie the recorded presentation of the piano, wasn’t convincing. This is a very old recording that was recently remastered. The analog tapes were over 50 years old.

I played some Oscar Peterson Trio pieces, and Oscar’s style is also quite artful. The live recording was still not convincing on the piano itself.

So I then played some David Hazeltine Trio pieces, and was rewarded with very smooth, not dramatic play ,.. along with an outstanding presentation of the piano as an instrument.

I wonder if the Apex and master clock would level these different piano renditions.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

Go for it and report back !!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:32 pm Last night I noticed a new release of Martha Argerich playing some Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky pieces. I like Martha’s drama, and was not disappointed by the performance.

I then wondered what the stream of her legendary Chopin competition would sound like, so I played that too. She brings true Art to Performance.

I thought her play was marvelous, but the sound, ie the recorded presentation of the piano, wasn’t convincing. This is a very old recording that was recently remastered. The analog tapes were over 50 years old.

I played some Oscar Peterson Trio pieces, and Oscar’s style is also quite artful. The live recording was still not convincing on the piano itself.

So I then played some David Hazeltine Trio pieces, and was rewarded with very smooth, not dramatic play ,.. along with an outstanding presentation of the piano as an instrument.

I wonder if the Apex and master clock would level these different piano renditions.
You know, Apex and clock could probably help.

But tonight I’ve ditched Roon in favor of Mosaic. Both streaming from Qobuz.

That simple no cost change was enough to add Martha’s piano’s realism to her mastery of its keyboard.

As crazy as it might seem, if I go grab this file from Amazon Prime Hi Res instead of Qobuz, it might be better still, but it will probably at least be different.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

And if I left the impression that the piano did not sound like a piano, that was not my intent. Tonally and dynamically, it all sounded like a piano.

But I’ve grown accustomed to more than that. The David Hazeltine performances are anchored with better “it’s in the room” realism than most. I’ve started being more critical of piano after spending even more time in front of the grand piano at Webers. Every piano has its own character. It’s own action. It’s own soundboard. Sometimes it doesn’t all make it through with streaming.