MV-50 in triode output?

From tubes to solid state.
tubesound
Advanced
Advanced

MV-50 in triode output?

Post by tubesound »

I know the MV-55 can be configured for triode output. Can the MV-50 be configured that way too?
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: MV-50 in triode output?

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Not too sure about this particular MV series. The only versions we had at the time, came fitted with EL34's and operated as triode mode amplifiers.

After that, it was the MV60 that also came fitted with EL34's as their standard version in triode mode. The MV60SE was offered fitted with 6550's or using KT120's. The use of KT120's was not optimal on the circuit of the MV60SE but it worked! I used all these amplifiers on an array of speakers, from Paradigm, to Quads and smaller monitor type speakers, such ProAc and Dali. Excellent combinations!

CJ's Premier series amplifiers also came in two versions, the XS version, which were EL34's based in triode mode and the standard version that included 6550's in ultra linear mode. So that was that!

So, referring to the much older MV 50 series... I was under the impression that this amp was already in triode mode. I could be wrong though... It's not juggling my memory at this stage whether or not triode was an option. Maybe I'm missing something.

Perhaps someone else who knows this series well can contribute towards your triode output question.
Sorry mate, not much help with that.

Best, RJ
tubesound
Advanced
Advanced

Re: MV-50 in triode output?

Post by tubesound »

Hi RJ, I appreciate the response, thanks mate.

Since the MV50 puts out 45W/channel with a pair of EL34 tubes per channel, I think it is running in ultralinear configuration.

I hope someone knows more about this!

Cheers