LP260m SE

From tubes to solid state.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

LP260m SE

Post by jimbones »

Can anyone tell me what the SE stands for? I assume it is a Special Edition or build. Would it happen to have Teflon caps and Vishay resistors?
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LP260m SE

Post by admin »

A listing search turned up "upgrades coupling and by-pass capacitors to CJD Teflon, and critical audio circuit resistors to laser-trimmed metal foil types". Not sure if there are other changes.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, this particular pair were a real odd ball. Such that it was introduced more or less alongside the LP275M, which to me were CJ's last top of the line in their LP series amplifiers.

The LP260m were very powerful amps, basically equal capability to the LP275M, the only major difference being, one looks like a massive golden box full of tubes... the other looks like a work of Art!

Not sure about the SE version on the LP260m... I would think there was nothing to further upgrade internally. Perhaps there was a SE version added, I don't know. Anyway, like I said, high powered monaural tube amps from CJ's finest at the time. Not sure how and why the LP275M eventuated but whatever the thought process was, those LP275M amps were far prettier! Art Deco I must say.

Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I have heard of the LP260M SE, but CJ doesn’t mention it in their legacy LP260M description.

What I remember, and this may not be correct, is that the LP260M was released at a lower price, after the LP275M. The LP275M was supposed to be the no holds barred flagship. The LP260M was not a flagship model.

Maybe the SE upgrade would bring it up to the flagship level performance. I don’t know. I’m sure it’s very nice. But none of the LP series models seem to get chased to drive up their used market price.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I just did a search and the msrp for the 260 was $19500. The 275 was $25000.

https://tmraudio.com/components/power-a ... r-lp-260m/

This is the info they provided.

MSRP: $19500

Other Notes: "Designed for discerning, cost-conscious music lovers, the new LP260m is a 270 watt powerhouse offering circuitry closely related to the ART mono-block, parts quality equal to or better than that offered by many competitors' "flagship" offerings, at a price that is much more affordable.

Those wishing to take the performance a step closer to the ART mono-blocks will want to opt for the LP260mSE which upgrades coupling and by-pass capacitors to CJD Teflon, and critical audio circuit resistors to laser-trimmed metal foil types." -Mono & Stereo

That may be where I got my info on the less than flagship status. FWIW, the SE upgrade is not listed on the CJ amp upgrade page.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah! there you go... that sounds about right.

So it was the LP125SA and LP260M that were later introduced as the last amplifiers within the LP series. Therefore, I would think that these must have been final production runs. After which, there was a gap... then the ART series emerged.

Oh well, very similar in terms of performance, nothing really significant for any "major" upgrades after auditioning... other than of course the newest ART Class A series amplifiers. Now that's a significant upgrade on all angles! Very mighty fine indeed.

Good stuff then, enjoy those fine tunes!
Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I think (from the CJ explanation) that the LP275M had been replaced as the flagship by the ART. And the LP260M was very similarly specked… but cheaper. An alternative to the ART, slightly below the ART. CJ does not mention an SE model. But in my experience, there were a fair number of ads for used LP260M SEs back maybe 6 to 10 years ago. So CJ must have had it as an option, even though they’ve not documented it.