Can CAV45 S2 drive Harbeth 40.3

From tubes to solid state.
warnie7
Regular
Regular

Can CAV45 S2 drive Harbeth 40.3

Post by warnie7 »

I present have SAP Quartette speakers, 6ohms, 96-dB and was just curious has anyone heard the CAV45 with Harbeths I think they are 85dB
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can CAV45 S2 drive Harbeth 40.3

Post by admin »

Do you plan to listen to rock music blasted at ear piercing levels? If not, I think you should be fine. Yes, their will be a noticable decrease in volume at the same setting between 96 db and 85 db speakers but I think the notion that you need massive amounts of power for less sensitive speakers is incorrect in my experience. Quality watts matter more than quantity.

Also, tube amps are more forgiving with clipping than SS. Paul McGowan from PS Audio talks about this a little in a recent video: https://youtu.be/cRUO_ZSkvwA

At the end of the day, I think the match would be fine but obviously an audition is the best judge.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
warnie7
Regular
Regular

Post by warnie7 »

The store I could have auditioned them at stopped selling them, he like me feel they are over priced
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

warnie7 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:17 pm The store I could have auditioned them at stopped selling them, he like me feel they are over priced
Yes, Harbeth are mighty proud of their speakers. :lol:

Seriously though, personally I do not think it would be a good match. But as admin points out, an audition is really the only way to know whether it would suit you.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here are Jeff Dorgay’s thoughts on the 40.3XDs.

https://www.tonepublications.com/review ... -speakers/

At $21k+ they would seem to be under amped with the CAV45 s2.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

CAV45 driving the mighty Habeth 40 series... ???
that's like the ant and the elephant joke. It's too x-rated to tell.

Anyway, it may work that is if your room is the size of a closet. Ok, maybe a large cupboard then.

The CAV45 will be under stress, without a doubt. Anything below 90dB is not that efficient and Harbeths are notorious in efficiency ratings. They require a bit more current and power to get going.

So far, the best combinations of speakers that I've auditioned with the CAV45 have been horns. One of those were the Avant Garde Duo XD's rated at above 100db with easy loads. Those Avant Garde's also have built-in powered bass drivers, so plenty of power. The CAV45 was just cruising along... zzzz no sweat.

Another fabulous combination, which I owned at one point, was the CAV45-S2 driving the Martin Logan Ethos stats. These are hybrid stats, again with high efficiency in the range of 92dB plus and built-in powered bass drivers. The room was standard 14ft W by 20ft L so not that big, overall presentation was very satisfying. Obviously in a much larger room, the CAV45-S2 wouldn't do it and the EL34's would break up after loud dynamic passages.

So, it all depends on your room size, listening habits, system config, and speakers. In this case, the H 40.3 are not small monitors nor bookshelf speakers. They're quite large! They do require a lot more humpty to really open up.

Hope that helps.
Best, RJ
warnie7
Regular
Regular

Post by warnie7 »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:24 am CAV45 driving the mighty Habeth 40 series... ???
that's like the ant and the elephant joke. It's too x-rated to tell.

Anyway, it may work that is if your room is the size of a closet. Ok, maybe a large cupboard then.

The CAV45 will be under stress, without a doubt. Anything below 90dB is not that efficient and Harbeths are notorious in efficiency ratings. They require a bit more current and power to get going.

So far, the best combinations of speakers that I've auditioned with the CAV45 have been horns. One of those were the Avant Garde Duo XD's rated at above 100db with easy loads. Those Avant Garde's also have built-in powered bass drivers, so plenty of power. The CAV45 was just cruising along... zzzz no sweat.

Another fabulous combination, which I owned at one point, was the CAV45-S2 driving the Martin Logan Ethos stats. These are hybrid stats, again with high efficiency in the range of 92dB plus and built-in powered bass drivers. The room was standard 14ft W by 20ft L so not that big, overall presentation was very satisfying. Obviously in a much larger room, the CAV45-S2 wouldn't do it and the EL34's would break up after loud dynamic passages.

So, it all depends on your room size, listening habits, system config, and speakers. In this case, the H 40.3 are not small monitors nor bookshelf speakers. They're quite large! They do require a lot more humpty to really open up.

Hope that helps.
Best, RJ
I ended up going with Audionote AN-E and love it My room is 22x26 and if you were blind folded, you would think you in a much smaller room.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congrats on the Audionote's. Very nice. Which finish did you go with?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

That's a much better combination, well done!👍

With the right amount of power into the speakers and they're able to reproduce everything you're looking for... then that's it! As long as you're happy and enjoying those fine tunes!

Woof! RJ