Advice on factory upgrades

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Advice on factory upgrades

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I am one who strongly believes that the CJ SE models are worth their extra cost WHEN DONE INITIALLY SO THAT THE UNIT IS RECOGNIZED AT THE OUTSET AS AN SE MODEL. At that point, the cost difference is modest for the sonic advance over the non SE version.

I am NOT in favor of the later modification at the factory to turn a non SE model into an SE model. There are just too many uncertainties surrounding such trips back to the factory and it is just about impossible to get the SE upgrade recognized by a buyer as worth what you’ve paid to have it done.

ARC is similar. An original SE model from ARC is worth more at resale than a non SE model that went back to the factory for upgrade to SE status.

If you’re interested in the SE model from either CJ or ARC, buy the original SE model new, or on the used market. You will likely be more satisfied than if you buy the non SE model and then have the upgrade done.

YMMV, but this has been my experience with both companies.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice on factory upgrades

Post by admin »

I agree, but I think this is true of many things, not just audio equipment. If you want that sunroof, buy the car that was made with the sunroof at the factory, don't buy the new car and then get a sunroof installed. It's going to be more expensive and probably a greater chance of something being messed up in the process of installation.

I think from a practical standpoint is that there are bargains to be had on standard models on the used market. So you save a bunch of money buying a standard edition used unit and then are willing to spend extra to get the non-bargain upgrade. I can see the appeal.

I've personally never sent any piece of audio hardware to the manufacturer (with the exception of repairs) to do upgrades. But I'm a cheapskate,... so there is that.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Advice on factory upgrades

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I agree on the car analogy. It is similar. You never get your money back on rework.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.