Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
Peter IAUS
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Peter IAUS »

Hi to all the CJ enthusiasts out there.
My name is Peter and I am a new member from Tasmania. Yes, it is a real place! It is a state of Australia and it is an island positioned just south of the mainland.
I have been an audio hobbiest since my teens(now 62).
My first question and probably not a rare one regards the Premier 8XS amps. I have been enjoying them for twenty years but like many I'm hankering for a worthwhile improvement. Probably my last before the ears hearing starts deteriorating!
Are they worthwhile upgrading with new capacitors? This is quite an expensive mod and I would like to know how they would compare with contemporary amps after the upgrade. Also, does anyone know how the V-cap mod(I think this is a Bill Thallman mod) compares to the factory modification?
Thanks in advance,
Peter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New member

Post by admin »

Hi Peter,
Welcome to CJO. Wonderful to have you with us, and I think our first member from Tasmania.

As for the upgrade question, that is really hard to answer. New caps would surely improve the sound considering the Premier 8's age. However, putting that cost toward a more modern unit may offer a greater improvement in performance.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, greetings from Melb!

Welcome to CJO.
As well stated by our trusted members at CJO, such upgrades can only be justified by the sole owner/user, no one else. Regardless of cost... you would need to ask yourself if you want to keep the Prem8-xs amps and just have a few things touched up. Since these are the XS version, I'm thinking they're fitted with EL34's, and this is a specific type of sound/ presentation that you've been enjoying for decades.

The cap upgrade will certainly change this slightly, towards a clearer soundstage, which results in improved imaging and depth but there's a slightly more neutral factor in it as well, which will alter the sound. That type of signature sound, like it or not, can only be determined by you!

Having Prem8's and looking at the next possible upgrade... there's quite a gap that has passed since successive models: LP140M, LP275M, LP260M, ART monoblocks series 1, and now the ART300 and ART108A.

Keeping in line with the Premier series top of the line, which were the Prem8's, the LP series was next and then came the ART series, which are now obsolete. So if you are looking at a serious upgrade, it would be within the latest ART series amplifiers, which are the ART300's and ART108A's (price points are: AUD 50 - 60grand for a pair of monoblocks). That is if you purchase from our good mate, Caxton Audio (David Neilen) the sole importer for CJ Aus.

BTW, his junior, Damien who manages the Melb store, Sound Reference, has one ART150 in stock. With a nice chat and perhaps a bottle of red, he may be willing to give you a special deal... That ART150 was ordered a while back, first landed in Brizzy but there were no takers at over 30grand for a tube amp. So it made its way down to Melb and it had my name written all over it... but I'm extremely happy and proud with the monoblocks I'm using. They're a special SE upgrade and it did cost a pretty penny, and that's as far as I'd go financially.
I was thinking of letting them go and venture back into SS but I would need to find the right buyer and I might cry for the next two years since these amplifiers have a rich history behind them... It was life changing moment!

Anyway, see how you go. Always happy to help in any way possible. If you need further assistance or any other info, please get in touch.
Until then, enjoy those fine tunes!

Cheers, RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh! One thing I forgot to mention and is worth mentioning: since I first arrived down unda in 2004/05, David & Damien, whom I met within that year, have been rock solid! Just like those power supplies in CJ design.
From my post-grad years, leading upto my family's migration, they have been there for me in so many ways, I could make a movie out of it!

Every single piece of CJ gear I've bought from them, has a story behind it, and there were some real tough times I've faced and some rewarding ones too. The way they conduct their dealership is old school and exactly the same way I conducted mine, and that is built on trust and long term relationships. That is the sole reason why I didn't write that cheque to my Spore mate nor directly to CJ, which I could have. So I believe in ethical practice and relationships are far greater than money spent.the wrong way. In order to gain what?

I've closed my dealerships long time ago and now reside here in Aus. Just like my good mate Robbo says "it just sounds right, " well I guess it certainly does! I'll always have CJ gear in my system, in whatever shape, size or form, and it will continually be serviced by this crew.

Cheers to that!
WOOF! RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Peter and welcome. I salute you from Costa Rica, Central America.

Those are very good power amps, and the first thing that what I would do, is to change all tubes for fresh ones. Tubes are uncertain, and they could have a good measurements with a tube tester, and they could be bad.

I don't know if you did change them. Change them if not, and wait 5 minutes for adjusting the bias for each tube... and once the LED goes off, keep turning the screw for a little tiny bit more.

CJ uses the best quality electronic parts and last years singing beautiful. The tubes last depending how often and the time spent listening to the music. Typically, the life span for the EL34/6CA7 circa around 5 years being ocasional listener and 2 years being a frequent user.

Have a a listen with the fresh tubes and let your ears decide if changing the caps will improve what you are hearing. If you had them for 20 years, before spending a fortune re-caping them, think in a much newer circuit design devices.

happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Peter IAUS
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Peter IAUS »

Hi all,
thank you so much for your warm welcome and advice.
I will ponder my next move re; amp upgrades(a first world problem if ever there was one!).
The Premiers have served me well but perhaps it's time to look for a new amp. I'm in my 60's so it will probably be my last major hi-fi purchase. I plan on a trip to Melbourne in a few months so will definitely pay a visit to Caxton Audio. Has anyone compared the new Art 108 to the Art 150's? I run a bi-amped system so the amps only have to reproduce sound from app 250hz upwards. My speakers are relatively efficient but I doubt that the Art 27's would do the job.
Cheers from downunder,
Peter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What speakers are you running?
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Peter IAUS
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Peter IAUS »

Hi and thank you for your interest.
A home brew based on midranges from BG Corp (RD 75" planars) with Magnepan 60" tweeters. The bass(250 hz down) is handled by 2 x 10" SEAS woofers per channel in an open baffle configuration a-la Linkwitz design powered by Hypex Ncore amps. I also have some subwoofers powered by Rythmik amps. The bass end is equalized with a mini-DSP. The DSP is great with bass but I wouldn't use it to high up the frequency ranges. I think it sounds great. I got the idea for such a set up in the 80's from a friend who had the Infinity QRS 1D. I had never heard anything like it at the time! A huge and dynamic sound as you can imagine but if I hadn't invested so much time in the current speakers I would probably look at a physically smaller set up. Some type of high efficiency speaker system I should imagine. Preferably home made as I like the making as well as the savings!
The rest of the system comprises an Ypsilon autoformer pre-amp(magnificent), an EMM Labs CDSD transport, Aqua Formula DAC, Aqua LinQ Streamer and P.S. Audio P10 power conditioner for the source components.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Peter IAUS wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:43 pm Hi all,
thank you so much for your warm welcome and advice.
I will ponder my next move re; amp upgrades(a first world problem if ever there was one!).
The Premiers have served me well but perhaps it's time to look for a new amp. I'm in my 60's so it will probably be my last major hi-fi purchase. I plan on a trip to Melbourne in a few months so will definitely pay a visit to Caxton Audio. Has anyone compared the new Art 108 to the Art 150's? I run a bi-amped system so the amps only have to reproduce sound from app 250hz upwards. My speakers are relatively efficient but I doubt that the Art 27's would do the job.
Cheers from downunder,
Peter
G'day mate, hope all is well at your end of the woods...

Sorry I may have confooosed the plot... just to clarify; Caxton Audio is the one and only importer for CJ Aus, based in Brizzy.
Sound Reference is based in Melbourne.
Caxton Audio is the main company- head office and Sound Reference is their Melbourne store, same outfit just a different name for Melb.

So if you're heading to Melb, you won't find Caxton Audio... that's in Brizzy. Sound Reference is the one you're after.

Re. To ART150 and ART108A comparison: yes have definitely auditioned these two fine tube amplifiers. Both are SOTA in fine tube gear at the highest level.

ART150: 150w stereo amp, based on the KT150 topology. It's Class AB design Output stage config, has plenty of power and no issues handling difficult loads. Very high current capacity and high voltage devices, provides rock solid power supplies don't flinch one bit under stress.

ART108A: monoblock amps, CJ's top of the line. Class A design Output stage, using a bank of KT88's (eight per monoblock), all tube design 160w Class A.
The ART108A's are capable of serious Class A power, these have very high levels of dynamic swings that are highly stable, offer brute force with power and finesse. Don't flinch one bit under any stress and can reproduce all the power required to drive any speaker system effortlessly.
They're phenomenal amplifiers! Especially when matched with CJ's top of the line preamp, the ART88.

As to which one's better, neither! It all depends on personal preferences, listening habits, system requirements and room dimensions. If your speakers present large dynamics and you like to listen loud in a large room, there are the ART300's, which are CJ's most powerful tube monoblocks to date. These are 300w Class AB, absolute power houses and are based on the identical circuit as the ART150. The 300's are basically the monoblock version of the ART150.

Where as, the ART108A's are a slightly different twist... not as big in terms of watts but plenty of extremely high current and highly stable voltage, capable of driving anything thanks to its pure Class A design.

Both the ART300's and ART108A's would be a fairer comparison, since they're based on monoblocks. Where as, the ART150 is concerned, it's currently CJ's top of the line all tube Stereo Amplifier.

At the moment, the Melb store has the ART150 currently on demo, the Classic 120se and a few other smaller amplifiers.
None of the other ART series is available for demo. This particular ART series is only imported on custom orders... due to their high costs associated when placing such orders.

Hope that helps.
Cheers, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Peter IAUS wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:34 pm Hi and thank you for your interest.
A home brew based on midranges from BG Corp (RD 75" planars) with Magnepan 60" tweeters. The bass(250 hz down) is handled by 2 x 10" SEAS woofers per channel in an open baffle configuration a-la Linkwitz design powered by Hypex Ncore amps. I also have some subwoofers powered by Rythmik amps. The bass end is equalized with a mini-DSP. The DSP is great with bass but I wouldn't use it to high up the frequency ranges. I think it sounds great. I got the idea for such a set up in the 80's from a friend who had the Infinity QRS 1D. I had never heard anything like it at the time! A huge and dynamic sound as you can imagine but if I hadn't invested so much time in the current speakers I would probably look at a physically smaller set up. Some type of high efficiency speaker system I should imagine. Preferably home made as I like the making as well as the savings!
The rest of the system comprises an Ypsilon autoformer pre-amp(magnificent), an EMM Labs CDSD transport, Aqua Formula DAC, Aqua LinQ Streamer and P.S. Audio P10 power conditioner for the source components.
That is a very unique setup. I use one of the mini-dsp calibration mics to set up my home theater and sometimes some minor stereo setup as well. They offer quality products at an affordable price.

That dual planar speaker setup must be a sight to behold and even better to listen to. Congrats on the system.
-admin
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

I just saw this thread today. For power output, I didn't think my Premier 11 would get loud enough with my speakers. But since htey have a built-in bass section powered by a class D amplifier built in, I found the system plays louder than I can handle these days and at my normal listening levels, headroom is plentiful. With tinnitus, also, playing too loud (which would be a "middle" level for most other listeners) causes even more ringing and masks the music, so I do not play at a very loud level at all.

So as much as I'd like to get a pair of Premier 12s or a Premier 140, I honestly don't need them.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1