putting 2 outlets in extern.junction box:jumpers or twisting the wires?

Do It Yourself - everything from building your own hardware to room
treatments.
Overhang
Advanced
Advanced

putting 2 outlets in extern.junction box:jumpers or twisting the wires?

Post by Overhang »

Hello
I ran out of outlets for my rig and wanted to add another outlet to my main one and house both in an external junction box. Which way should i wire for best results: running jumpers or twisting pigtails? I have a dedicated 10 awg line for my system feeding a duplex Shunyata outlet.One is for Pass Labs amp and another one has a 6 outlet Furutech power distributor plugged into it.All outlets are occupied and i need at least 2 more.Reaching out for advice.Thanks a lot in advance!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: putting 2 outlets in extern.junction box:jumpers or twisting the wires?

Post by admin »

Are you looking to run a new line just because lack of available outlets or because you need more power capacity?

If you just need more outlets, I would just use a high quality powerstrip.

If you are looking for more power and want to run a separate line, then run the wire directly from the breaker box to the outlet. The less connections the better. I have 3 separate power lines going to my home theater room. Two 15 amp and one 20 amp lines. One powers my home theater equipment for movies, one the general lighting and outlets across the room, and then the last is dedicated for powering my stereo system.

With all my equipment I probably have something like 15 things plugged in at once so using power strips (and a voltage regulator) is the best way to go. CJ also recommends that everything be plugged into the same outlet/powerstrip to minimize ground loop issues.

And don't forget that for safety, everything on the circuit should be rated appropriately. So just because your 10 awg wire can handle 20 amps, if the outlet is only rated for 15 amps, then the max safety load is 15 amps. The breaker in your breaker box should be rated for the lowest rated component in the path.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Overhang
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Overhang »

I want to use the same line. I have only one outlet connected to it. I want to add another one. The power strip is already full. I don’t want to plug another power strip into existing one. I intend to use one outlet for power amp and a sub. Another one for two power strips. I have two systems connected to it but using only one at a time.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How many total plugs do you need to accommodate?
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Seriously … if you are asking about this, you should be talking to a licensed local electrician, not a bunch of cheapskate do-it-yourselfers on the internet.

No offense to the other cheapskate DIYers. :roll:
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As a self-identifying "cheapskate DIYer" I concur with AJ. When I built my home theater room I didn't do the electrical wiring myself. I designed the room and did some minor work myself on the construction and then most of the cosmetic work (ie painting, switch and outlet covers, etc..). But electrical work not done correctly can be dangerous.

In this particular case, you have two outlet plugs. That should get you to +15 units being able to be plugged in utilizing two power strips. I'm not sure what creating another outlet off the 1st one gets you other than more wire connections? If you were running a complete 2nd line so that the load was lower on the circuit or you didn't want crosstalk between the components, I can understand that. But daisy chaining another outlet to get two more plug connections doesn't seem like a big advantage. You are just adding the equivalent of a 3 plug extension cord buried in the wall. IMHO.
-admin
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Good power means good sound quality too.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

Sorry I'm late (as always), but I could see having an electrician change the single-gang box to a two-gang, and installing another outlet alongside it. In fact, I may do that if we decide to stay in this house and I run a dedicated line from the breaker box (if it has an available space for a breaker). That way I could have four outlets--two could be used for power amps and the other two for power strips.

My power in this room is terrible--the main junction box coming into the room has three wires connected to each polarity, and the 14-gauge goes through three additional outlets before it gets to my system. The room cannot be rearranged in any other configuration thanks to a doorwall and a room opening, and if I ran a dedicated line it would have to go through conduit and run outside since this part of the house is an addition on a concrete slab (the "inside" wall is on the other side of the room from the system rack).
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1