Hovland HP-100 preamp vs C-J Premier 10:any experiences?

The PV-1 to now...
Overhang
Advanced
Advanced

Hovland HP-100 preamp vs C-J Premier 10:any experiences?

Post by Overhang »

Hello
I am reaching out to see if anybody had experience with both preamps and would like to know how they compare to each other. I own Premier 10 and wanted to know if getting a used Hovland would give me any significant improvement in sound. They are both of similar vintage and msrp back in a day was also close. Thank you in advance for your replies.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Hovland HP-100 preamp vs C-J Premier 10:any experiences?

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh! This preamp fella... it was a lovely unit. Completely analog, no digital interface, no remote either and just about perfect!

Comparing it to CJ preamps... well that's a tough one because there's really no right or wrong answer. It all depends on your system config, your listening tastes/ preferences and of course the age / condition of the unit. If the Hovland is in top spec and is working perfectly then no issues. OTOH if the CJ Prem10 is better then it must have been upgraded recently or recapped... don't know. You'll need to find that out.

Nonetheless, the Ultimate assessment can only be done on your own system. If that is possible? If not, you're probably going to discover which one is best suited only once you've auditioned both. So, only you can determine that!

One of my previous dealer mates in Spore still has his Hovland 100 as part of his personal system, absolutely loves it! The rest of his gear comprises of Sonic Frontiers and VTL, driving his big Infinity's. I think they're the Gamma series or Beta's, I always get confooosed...
Although very vintage, it's one hell of a presentation! Goes to show that some vintage gear, especially those one of a kind, do deliver a signature sound that is very satisfying.

Cheers mate, let us know how it goes.
Best, RJ