CJ Premier 350SA Faceplate Bolt?

From tubes to solid state.
audiojem
Advanced
Advanced

CJ Premier 350SA Faceplate Bolt?

Post by audiojem »

Regarding Faceplate Bolts
Why does the top right corner faceplate bolt not fit flush to faceplate like the other 3 corners is that a design flaw or normal?
Can any past, present owner or non owner answer this?
Thanks In Advance
AJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: CJ Premier 350SA Faceplate Bolt?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It is a stock feature. I’ve never seen one without the odd mismatched bolt on the upper right corner of the faceplate. Even the one on the vintage page of their website has it.

As for why they did it this way, I don’t have a clue.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is a little weird. Have no explanation for it either. There is a large metal enclosure behind that bolt that is not present behind the other 3, so maybe it has something to with that, but really not sure.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

That type of screw will give a better clamping if properly torqued.

I’ll bet it’s there because they tried to use the Allen head cap screws, and there wasn’t enough clamping.

JF may know the history.

Think of it as a Cindy Crawfordesque beauty mark.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Exactly!
I believe whiles the Prem350 was being developed, the crew got all caught up in its power & finesse that after a few drinks, someone realised the bolt... aw, shucks, should've tightend that one. Well now it's too late isn't mate! Production has commenced... oh well, just pack it up and hope for the best. After all, it's performance is superior to most standard SS and highend versions out there, surely only a very pedantic person would notice... and yet it's very noticeable!

Anyhoo, how about the performance? Rock solid and truly one of a kind. The MF2550SE was introduced few years after but it will never replace the Prem350. That was one phenomenal power amp! Phenomenal to the core.

Enjoy it in every moment, you'll love it.
Woof! RJ
audiojem
Advanced
Advanced

Post by audiojem »

Fellow Members
Thank You for the great responses!
I spoke to a in the know CJ dealer and he did not have any idea so I will reach out to Jeff I'm sure he knows.
Regards
AJ
audiojem
Advanced
Advanced

Post by audiojem »

I opened the top and looked inside for a longer bolt but it was the same length as the other three?????
Hope to call JF today.
Regards
Jeff
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

For the heck of it I looked at the faceplate on the CA200. All four screw are sunk into a black plastic collar but the two on the right have collars that protrude about twice as much as those on the left. A puzzlement.

EDIT/AFTERTHOUGHT: Could these discrepancies be something that Conrad Johnson did purposefully as a telltale to differentiate the real deal from fakes/copies?
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
audiojem
Advanced
Advanced

Post by audiojem »

I think I figured it out!
If you look at the faceplate a portion of the front is milled out in a upside down arc design the portion on the upper right corner is milled thinner then the other three corners leading to the bolt sticking out.
Thanks
Jeff
audiojem
Advanced
Advanced

Post by audiojem »

Joe
Same thing on the CA-200!
Regards
Jeff
sleepysurf
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sleepysurf »

The thinner faceplate at that corner is why that single bolt sticks out. I, too, thought it was a flaw when I got mine. I called C-J, and Ed (still there at that time) explained. I suppose you could try to source a shorter version, but I've learned to just ignore it as a design fluke.
audiojem wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:57 am I think I figured it out!
If you look at the faceplate a portion of the front is milled out in a upside down arc design the portion on the upper right corner is milled thinner then the other three corners leading to the bolt sticking out.
Thanks
Jeff
Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.
audiojem
Advanced
Advanced

Post by audiojem »

Not bothered by it would never try to replace with shorter head happy I figured it out.
Thanks
Jeff