Clearance/closeouts

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Clearance/closeouts

Post by audiobill »

AS AJ predicted on closeouts of the beloved Wilson Sasha DAWs, here are some attractive prices on ARC amps, soon to be vintage collectors items, get 'em while they still work and can be repaired!!

https://tmraudio.com/search-results-pag ... 20research
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Re: Clearance/closeouts

Post by audiobill »

BTW, my Porsche 911 has a Burmester system, mostly turn it off in order to hear the glorious turbo!!
Attachments
IMG_0070.jpeg
IMG_0070.jpeg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 3603 times
IMG_0070.jpeg
IMG_0070.jpeg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 3603 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, cool car! Don't go too fast.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

Thanks, will follow your advice when my wife gives up the keys!!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

audiobill wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:14 pm Thanks, will follow your advice when my wife gives up the keys!!
Ha. So who's car is it?
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

Mine?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok... and what would your wife say if I asked her the same question?
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

audiobill wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:54 pm AS AJ predicted on closeouts of the beloved Wilson Sasha DAWs, here are some attractive prices on ARC amps, soon to be vintage collectors items, get 'em while they still work and can be repaired!!

https://tmraudio.com/search-results-pag ... 20research
Val Cora, the new ARC owner, seems committed to continuing support of legacy products. He is a fan and collector of the brand. We’ll have to see how he does. He is currently visiting dealers. The dealers seem assured.

I talked with Dave Gordon the other day, and he is also confident about ARC’s future. Repairs and warranty work are ongoing. Production and sales too.

I’m more concerned about the general availability of power tubes. Supposedly the glass problems at the Russian factory have been solved, but the shipping problems persist.

I’ve been surprised at McIntosh’s expansion into tube and parallel tube/SS hybrids. I’ve listened to several high end McIntosh systems (electronics, wires, and speakers) lately. McIntosh would seem to be the most stable and best positioned of the US based companies. Many of the high end companies are virtual one man shows. If the one man goes down, the company is done. ARC was far from a one man show, but the failure of just one man created a drama filled crisis.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Lots of McIntosh for sale at TMR too

https://tmraudio.com/search-results-pag ... cts&page=1

Also TMR has taken on Levinson. Serious margins on Levinson. They may do some generous trading.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Definitely some nice bargains on the McIntosh gear.

I think ARC will be fine. They've weathered the storm. I personally would not be hesitant to buy an ARC unit for fear of support drying up.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Bill needs to trade the Porsche on something with blue meter audio

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/automotive/the-systems
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

Of course, but creative ways to stay in business support long-term viability and product support.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Levinson, Krell, Bose, JBL, McIntosh and probably some others have had or do have contracts to partner with car companies. You really have to have a solid company to put up with automobile headaches. The car business can provide a solid base for R&D resources.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

Yes, all solid companies easily beat the alternative "boutique", one man shops as a business. If you were a top engineer, would you bet your career on one other overstressed dude that doesn't have time to design, build, repair, answer inquiries and market?

I think not.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

And yet people do.

CJ. D’Agostino. Many others.

ARC being privately held was endangered by one man’s crisis brought on by this year’s Fed rate hikes.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Another of these one man shows is VPI. They’ve had some success branching out and getting large contracts, like the Levinson deal for example. I think the Shinola was theirs too, but not positive. But Levinson did not engage them for a second project. I think that went to Clearaudio.

The transition to the future has been more bumpy than hoped. And I don’t think it’s over yet. But the passing of the mother, the wife, and the expected heir (older son) were all very hard. VPI is a tiny operation and its historic visionary leader, aka Harry, is an old guy. Matt really hasn’t shown the spark yet. Bob left under less than pleasant circumstances after high hopes were raised that he could be the next genius.

It is hard to build a real company that can grow well after the founder has moved on. McIntosh has done that well. I think “The McIntosh Group” was great for McIntosh.., but was poison for ARC. At least in the ownership transition to Val Cora, there is something to transfer .., but no doubt WZJ is spinning at his beloved 33 1/3 rpm.