Not a lot written about LP140m

From tubes to solid state.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Not a lot written about LP140m

Post by jimbones »

I searched the internet for reviews but there isn't much written about the LP140m. I was able to find some discussions in forums but that is about it. Can anyone speculate as to why?? I am thinking of "upgrading" from P12 t LP140m. Some have said it is a true upgrade.
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Not a lot written about LP140m

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The LP series did not see the love it might have deserved.

Premier name is more familiar.

I think the LP series was an upgrade. But I no longer have mine.

I think RJ has heavily modified LP140 and has been very happy with the control of his CLX speakers.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

wheres the Big Dog!!
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Singapore on a trip.

Just do a search and you’ll find his thoughts on this in many threads.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

https://conradjohnsonowners.com/search. ... mit=Search

I just did this search for you. Lots of RJ posts about LP140.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:34 pm https://conradjohnsonowners.com/search. ... mit=Search

I just did this search for you. Lots of RJ posts about LP140.
+1. :)
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

Not much written because economy collapsed around the time the LP70S, LP140M, and LP275M were introduced. CJ Dealership numbers shank. Even today try finding a dealership with Conrad Johnson gear in stock.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

SolderSlinger wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:21 pm Not much written because economy collapsed around the time the LP70S, LP140M, and LP275M were introduced. CJ Dealership numbers shank. Even today try finding a dealership with Conrad Johnson gear in stock.
That makes a lot of sense. After watching the ARC fiasco go down in April and May, Jeff Fischel’s approach to sustaining CJ has taken on a genius aura. It was probably forged in the crucible of those difficult times created by the economic failures of that period.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

SolderSlinger wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:21 pm Even today try finding a dealership with Conrad Johnson gear in stock.
This is really frustrating for those who’d like to audition CJ gear. It used to be that to be a dealer for any product line in high end audio you had to order one to show and one to go. A lot of CJ “dealers” are small time operators who can let you audition a piece, but then have to order it. On the bright side, Jeff Fischel is keeping at least one to go in his Fairfax inventory. So the wait’s not long.

One problem is auditions that include a comparison to the competition. There are some CJ dealers that have access to other lines, high performance stereo.com for example. But a lot of them do not have alternatives for comparison.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SolderSlinger wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:21 pm Not much written because economy collapsed around the time the LP70S, LP140M, and LP275M were introduced. CJ Dealership numbers shank. Even today try finding a dealership with Conrad Johnson gear in stock.
Agreed. This is a frustration. Not only did the economy of the late 2000's limit discretionary spending on luxury items, the internet was really starting to take over high end audio sales by that time. CJ seems to have only embraced direct online sales recently,... and even that is not in a very obvious way (you can't just buy an item on their website). I think Jeff has "battened down the hatches" compared to the more liberal approach previously. This almost certainly has increased the longevity of CJ. CJ is more streamlined. The products are geared toward the more in demand and high profit margin items. Long gone are the days of the chronograph or budget lines. CJ is not sailing aimlessly. They definitely have a very clear cut direction. More high end level gear, concentrate on amps/preamps and not other devices, and starting a direct to consumer sales initiative.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:38 am
Agreed. This is a frustration. Not only did the economy of the late 2000's limit discretionary spending on luxury items, the internet was really starting to take over high end audio sales by that time. CJ seems to have only embraced direct online sales recently,... and even that is not in a very obvious way (you can't just buy an item on their website). I think Jeff has "battened down the hatches" compared to the more liberal approach previously. This almost certainly has increased the longevity of CJ. CJ is more streamlined. The products are geared toward the more in demand and high profit margin items. Long gone are the days of the chronograph or budget lines. CJ is not sailing aimlessly. They definitely have a very clear cut direction. More high end level gear, concentrate on amps/preamps and not other devices, and starting a direct to consumer sales initiative.
Just so the dealers don’t have a heart attack …

I DO NOT SEE ANY EVIDENCE OF A PLAN FOR SHIFTING TO DIRECT SALES.

If you contact CJ, you will discuss options and are likely to be directed to a dealer. You can’t just put an ART88 in your cart and check out on line.

As for models, he seems to have two targets.

Entry level is priced to be competitive with McIntosh midrange pricing.

The flagship level is priced at the entry level to the true “high end.”

At the entry level it wins on sonics. At the flagship level, like ARC pricing, it looks like a bargain.

Works for him …. Almost no overhead.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AJ,

Perhaps I was mistaken here. I was under the impression that you can order units from CJ directly now (via phone)? I though that this is why they decided to put the price directly on the webpage (which was never done before). Am I mistaken about that?
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I think you are. But there are other threads where it’s been discussed. Nothing has actually changed since the last thread.

If he intentionally undercuts his dealers, he will go down the tubes for lack of customer support capability. They can’t even reliably answer the phone.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Woof! Big Dog here... back in Melb, phew!
I just hate flying...
Although the trip in general was great, been flying since the 70's nothing has changed. And that annoying jet engine...it runs through my bones! The good thing is that those jet engines are working, otherwise we'd plonk into the sea!

Some interesting points here and I'll add a few cents worth:
LP140M- oh fabulous amplifiers and they can be modded to great lengths. If you don't mind the tube maintenance costs then yes, definite upgrade from Prem12's

As stated by SolderSlinger, that's basically it! Excellent point of discussion and also the LP series gear came across too quickly in succession. I remember just when the LP70S, LP140M and LP275M were released then suddenly out of no where, there's the LP66s and LP125M, and LP260M... what the heck! Then came another one the LP125sa stereo amp, and the monoblock version of that, which is what I'm currently using. On top of this, a boat load of new preamps in succession... at one point my CJ dealer couldn't keep up!
During demos, someone would ask so which model is this? and he'd jump to the back just to check the serial plate... otherwise he'd get it wrong, ha!

Then came along the ART series and things slowed down a bit then a handful of new Classic amplifiers and another ART series but based on Class A design, and just one new preamp, the ART88. Phew! I think JF has really hit the podium with this one, it's a phenomenal preamp!

Referring to stock, yes I also noticed this with the main importer in Spore. They've nearly sold out every item including demo models. Did say they were waiting on new stock but that shipment was supposed to arrive in May. So June, July they're still rowing the boat... 🚣‍♀️ 🚣‍♂️ not to worry they'll get there. It's not easy to row a boat in rough seas.
Air freight would've certainly been quicker, simply because those vehicles have jet engines fitted... but the dealer's margin just went up by 25%... gee sorry 😁

See how you go with the LP140M, marvellous amps! I love em. Also, just make sure you've got a good & reliable techie on hand just in case they need service. You never know.

Oh! I forgot to mention, on the point AJ / AB made; actually JF is taking orders directly. I happen to know a few who've secured orders on the ART series gear. Paid directly to CJ and will get local CJ importer to confirm warranty. I also remember Manley Labs doing the same but that was when there was no dealer Down Unda... so that's fair.

In this case, my only worry is that warranty part... my guys won't be playing nice on that turf. I'm not sure if this is going to pan out well. The only thing I can hope for is that gear ordered directly from CJ behaves perfectly well upto warranty period. Then local service can start billing. That's fair!

Meow! RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Two thoughts.

1. If CJ starts dealing directly in markets where they have dealers, their serious dealers will drop them. The Mom & Pop one line dealers might stay to get their own gear at wholesale. But the more important issue is that CJ does not have the staff to do direct sales and support. We’ve seen this over and over in thread after thread.

2. If I buy a Burmester preamp, that will be two Burmesters here. I will never be a Burmester myself. You can call me what you like. But I’m a J, not a B.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think it is a risky road to start direct sales. They are doing it in a very cautious and tepid manner. Not sure what Jeff's ultimate goal is but I trust he will make the right decision. It can certainly be hybrid model if done carefully.
-admin
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Just spoke to someone regarding my "upgrade" from P12 to LP140. They said I should stay with my P12 and get teflons. It would be better than the Lp140. Gaaaa!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

jimbones wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:16 pm Just spoke to someone regarding my "upgrade" from P12 to LP140. They said I should stay with my P12 and get teflons. It would be better than the Lp140. Gaaaa!
Talk to three more someones and get three more opinions.

The bad news is that you can’t audition this stuff. Any amp you buy without hearing is a crapshoot.

If I wanted conradjohnson, before I put any money in any of these 15 to 30 year old units, I’d get a quote on the Classic 62SE. Some of the dealers are pretty flexible.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yep! It's all very relatively simple isn't it... upgrade towards better sound, better this or better that, and others would think not.

There's no doubt that better parts / internal components would yield improved sound. However, to some, performance remains the same but the sound characteristics change. Some embrace this change and others don't, and this is where it gets very confusing.

One thing I've learned along this crazy journey, one type of sound/ thing will not be liked by others, only a handful would be in sync and agree. This highend audio game is highly individualistic, there are general preferences and at the same time sole preferences, which result in a custom type of sound. Choose the one that suits you the most, and the one you're ultimately happy with. That's the one!

Question is, which one and how do you experience these demo's...? Can't hear everything at once at a given place. There are certain dealers out there where they do carry a larger range of products, try to see if you can access any of them within close proxy. Audition as much as you can, and whenever you can, it will give you a better idea of what's available. Different SE versions and specific upgrades.

This is the very reason I travel to Spore or HK at least once a year to experience the new gear, simply because Aus highend is limited. The fantastic demos we do have are great but cost a fortune, so where to next... ah! Our neighbouring countries in the Sth East Asian region.

You'll have to locate those dealers for yourself and do the research on your own and make your own choices. I wouldn't listen to too many opinions, especially on highend audio.

Do let us know what you need, and we'll gladly help you spend your money! 😁
Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The serious problem for the guys chasing the Premier or Linear Pentode series is that you will never get a side by side comparison until you buy one of each on the used market and audition them at home. And even then, service histories and modifications are an unknown.

A lot of preferences are rooted in psycho-acoustics, not actual measurable performance cues.

I thought the LP275Ms were awfully close to a sonic end game, and did not realize how far from reality they were until direct comparison side by side with the Levinson 5805 and ARC REF75SE. Had I only compared them at home to McIntosh, Prima Luna, Marantz, and Cambridge Audio (which I did), I’d never have recognized them as less the true SOTA.

You can be satisfied at any plateau on your way up the high end slope. You have to decide when the air gets too thin to keep climbing.

You can fall in love at any level, and if you stop reading about HiFi, you can live happily ever after. Comparisons can bring dissatisfaction.