Is the ET5 built better than the ET7 ?

The PV-1 to now...
smodtactical
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Is the ET5 built better than the ET7 ?

Post by smodtactical »

It looks bigger, better built, more caps, weighs 10lbs more. It just looks more premium ?

Was ET7 / 7 series 2 built more to a price and et5 more of a statement piece ?
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Is the ET5 built better than the ET7 ?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

They are all built to a price.

Even the top of the line.

If you want to buy on weight, look at the two box preamps, which were in every case a statement piece.

The ET5 is very nice and full featured.

It may be that you would prefer it. It may be that you would value it over a more recent model. Only you can say.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I buy bologna by weight. Stereo equipment not so much.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here is another thread where the ET5 is compared to ET7.

https://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/vie ... php?t=1899
smodtactical
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by smodtactical »

Seems people like ET7 more. Interesting.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Jeff redesigned the ET7 to the ET7s2 not long after his control of CJ was complete.

If you are a technician, you will recognize and appreciate his thoughtful layout, and his use of premium parts. You will recognize the cleverness with which he distilled the essence of the GAT2 down to a product that could be sold for a mere $13000.

If you are a listener, your ears will tell you that his project was/is a success. Note that he has not upgraded the ET7s2 since its introduction.

If I were predicting, I would say that the essence of the ART88 might be distilled into an ET8 (lucky number 8 for the oriental markets) within a year or two. But that won’t diminish the great sound of the 7s2.

The ET5 represents the last transition. It is an excellent product that is now several generations away from the best current models.

Will you like it more? You might. But it is NOT surprising that people like newer models better.

Jeff is a one man show. He is not forced into decisions about his products by a wooden table full of suits. He, like David Wilson, is focused on “the well made thing.” And he does his best to support CJ products as well as a one man show can. Triage puts warranty repairs first, and recent models after that.

ET5 is a great preamp. Buy one, get used to it, and post your thoughts.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

I thought the ET5 was the chosen one of the ET series to get, thats why I purchased an ET5.
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jimbones wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:26 pm I thought the ET5 was the chosen one of the ET series to get, thats why I purchased an ET5.
Perhaps it's in the eye (ear) of the beholder? It's possible that you prefer the sound of the ET5 over the newer model. Who is to say but you? But I would not overtly put the ET7s2 under the ET5. It's a newer iteration. I doubt Jeff designed the ET7s2 to be more expensive and worse sounding.

But I admit that as an owner of an ET7s2 my opinion is biased. :)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

jimbones wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:26 pm I thought the ET5 was the chosen one of the ET series to get, thats why I purchased an ET5.
As Admin points out, somebody chooses just about everything. What matters is what you choose.

With boutique builders like CJ, it’s really irrational to think that the best can be found by going back a couple of generations. Some who post here would argue that position, in my opinion irrationally. To each his own. Your ears, your system.

Keep in mind that at this level all the choices are well above average. No one has said the ET5 is a bad choice. It is a great, full featured, heavily built unit. It may be your perfect choice. But that isn’t the same as “the chosen one in the ET series.”

YMMV
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:17 pm
As Admin points out, somebody chooses just about everything. What matters is what you choose.

With boutique builders like CJ, it’s really irrational to think that the best can be found by going back a couple of generations. Some who post here would argue that position, in my opinion irrationally. To each his own. Your ears, your system.

Keep in mind that at this level all the choices are well above average. No one has said the ET5 is a bad choice. It is a great, full featured, heavily built unit. It may be your perfect choice. But that isn’t the same as “the chosen one in the ET series.”

YMMV
well the 7S2 is quite a bit more so I like the fact that the 5 has only one tube. I assume the 7S2 has several
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

According to the CJ website the ET7-S2 has a tube complement of 1 X 6922.

https://conradjohnson.com/et7-enhanced- ... amplifier/
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

As most know (I know Joe knows this 8-) ) …

The 6922 is a twin triode. Half is left channel, the other half is right channel. Other tubes like that include the 12AX7, 6H30Pi and many more.

Lots of tube preamps, including CJ and ARC, are hybrids.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

to me having only one tube is a big advantage. i love it. Thanks Joe
plurn
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by plurn »

a comment I posted back in 2017:

"When I compare the insides of the ET7 to the ET5 I am a bit surprised. ET7 has a lot less big white capacitors and has more electrolytic capacitors than the ET5. Also the tube is now on the main board rather than on a vibration isolated daughter board. Just looking at estimated cost of parts, I would think the ET7 would cost Conrad Johnson less to build than the ET5."

None of that on its own means one is better built or better than the other though.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

plurn wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:51 pm a comment I posted back in 2017:

"When I compare the insides of the ET7 to the ET5 I am a bit surprised. ET7 has a lot less big white capacitors and has more electrolytic capacitors than the ET5. Also the tube is now on the main board rather than on a vibration isolated daughter board. Just looking at estimated cost of parts, I would think the ET7 would cost Conrad Johnson less to build than the ET5."

None of that on its own means one is better built or better than the other though.
I guess it just depends on whether you want to look at it or listen to it. Sort of like Prima Luna’s pitch.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

You know Jeff introduced the ET7s2 pretty quickly after the ET7, and there was no upgrade path because the changes were major. Within a year, after a lot of whining, he started taking ET7s in trade at full msrp against the ET7s2 at full msrp. I discovered this in casual phone conversation with him, and I took him up on it.

I liked my ET7. I liked my ET7s2 more. If I’d had an ET5 instead of an ET3SE I might have never upgraded. The ET5 is a great unit. But so are the others.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

"The good is the enemy of the best."

First recorded as an Italian proverb in 1603, this aphorism has been discussed by many thinkers including Voltaire and Shakespeare. There is general agreement that the meaning of the proverb is that always striving for something better keeps us from appreciating the good we already have.

Stephen Stills: "Love the one you're with."

My comment: The horns of the dilemma we each struggle with to one extent or another in this hobby of ours.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Joe Appierto wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:24 am "The good is the enemy of the best."

First recorded as an Italian proverb in 1603, this aphorism has been discussed by many thinkers including Voltaire and Shakespeare. There is general agreement that the meaning of the proverb is that always striving for something better keeps us from appreciating the good we already have.

Stephen Stills: "Love the one you're with."

My comment: The horns of the dilemma we each struggle with to one extent or another in this hobby of ours.
In decision theory we more often hear that the best is the enemy of the good.

I can see arguments for either. The good keeps you from looking for something better … something better when found eclipses that formerly considered good.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Yes, that quote you mention is attributed to Voltaire.

Both hold, I think, but I may be derailing this thread.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

The tube board is separated on both ET7 and ET7V2. The board has springs, so the possible outside vibration will not be affected. On the other hand, watch the new layout of capacitors on the ET7V2. I did change my ET7 for the ET7, now I have the ET7V2.

I assure you that my system is sounding as never before. A lot of harmonic texture, right size of the musical instruments presentation, the vocals are projected to the air with tons of realism...all I can say is: Conrad Johnson sounds right!

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.