Holo May Kte back to normal operation

Everything not even remotely related to CJ.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Holo May Kte back to normal operation

Post by roberto »

Tx Adim. Just told him to do that. Funny things are the standing waves.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

That sort of speaker design was common in the distant past. I seem to remember that when people like Rodgers and KEF, and then all the 128 beltway crowd figured out how much better closed box speakers could perform, this scheme was pretty much abandoned. Then ported speakers came along as a compromise. And now we talk about closed baffle, infinite baffle, etc.

The punchline is that there may be a market for these, but I think serious auditions would show them to be a gimmick, neither fish nor foul.

That M3 Saphire looks like the bastard love child of a Sears Silvertone guitar amp speaker and an early Magnepan.

The CLX or the Maggie 20.? should run rings around it.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

roberto wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:17 pm Tx Adim. Just told him to do that. Funny things are the standing waves.
If you think it's a specific standing wave issue in one particular area of the room, the best way to find that is with a calibration mic that you move around and you should see the amplitude of the low frequency go up in a specific location. It is somewhat of a laborious process and ultimately doesn't solve the issue, just identifies it. Then you are still left with moving the speakers or using acoustic dampening.

With a dipole speaker like that, it would be worthwhile to put a full length acoustic dampening panel right behind it. It may be more effective in this situation than corner bass traps. I actually use something like this directly on the 1st reflection point on front walls with my maggies. This works well specifically with dipole speakers.
AnotherJohnson wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:50 pm That sort of speaker design was common in the distant past. I seem to remember that when people like Rodgers and KEF, and then all the 128 beltway crowd figured out how much better closed box speakers could perform, this scheme was pretty much abandoned.
I think it was abandoned for good reason. Not to say it can't sound good, but probably is much more difficulty to get it to perform at the same levels as a typical enclosed speaker configuration.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.