New version of RC-20 available

Spinning CD’s in that DR1 connected to a D/A-2b? Talk about it here.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

New version of RC-20 available

Post by AnotherJohnson »

You’ve probably already seen the mailing.

Billet Aluminum. $350. Ask for it on their contact page.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New version of RC-20 available

Post by admin »

Got the email as well this morning. I was surprised that they didn't change the model number with the upgrade. Maybe should have been the RC-21?

It does look very nice but at $350 + S/H, certainly not cheap.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Neither was the original back in the day.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The ARC billet based remotes are $400. So $350 does not seem out of line. The last time I priced the originals RC20, it was $300.

I liked the hand feel of the original RC20, but I’m sure the new one is quite nice too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agree, it does look very nice.

Here is a picture for those interested as I don't see it directly listed on their website:
Attachments
RC-20.jpg
RC-20.jpg (362.18 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Jazzy5
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

Is it the same remote included with gats2 and Art88 preamp?,if not what has changed?.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The button layout is identical which makes me think the PCB inside is perhaps the same. The edge of my previous generation rc-20 seems to be more beveled vs the new one which looks like a sharper edge. The font is thicker on the previous generation for the "conrad johnson" text.
-admin
Cjaylundgren
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Cjaylundgren »

I wish CJ would update the design of this remote to incorporate rechargeable batteries and rechargeable via a USB C connector. My recently acquired MSB Technology Discrete DAC remote is designed this way and it’s very nice. No need to worry about replacing batteries or risk batteries leaking if one forgets to change them on a regular basis.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cjaylundgren wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:17 pm I wish CJ would update the design of this remote to incorporate rechargeable batteries and rechargeable via a USB C connector. My recently acquired MSB Technology Discrete DAC remote is designed this way and it’s very nice. No need to worry about replacing batteries or risk batteries leaking if one forgets to change them on a regular basis.
I'm not sure how I feel about rechargeable batteries as these are usually soldered directly into components these days. Not only do batteries have a certain charge/discharge life cycles, they can go bad, breakdown, and leak over time. It doesn't matter too much with something like a phone that you replace every 3 years, but we sometimes use audio gear for decades. No way a rechargeable battery from the 90's is going to be working today. Also, you can buy rechargeable AA's if you just want rechargeable. Having a charging port sounds nice, but the same problem exists. My current phone uses a usb-c connection, the one before that was usb-micro, the one before that was a usb-mini, and the one before that was some kind of small power plug. This is all within the last 15 years. I'm sure in another 15 years nobody is going to be using usb-c. I'm confident however that people will be using AA's.
-admin
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Mine is not working. It is sending signal, checked with my cell camera. I can see the led on while pressing any push button, and see it blinking, but it is not working. A dear friend has two remote controls lend me one plastic (RC-10) and works the same as the RC-20. Mine stopped working from one day to the other. There is no abuse. Also, I just installed new fresh batteries and nothing happens.
I remember a dear forum member who fixed one, changing a yellow color electronic device. I was wondering from where he bought that spare part for the remote.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:11 pm Mine is not working. It is sending signal, checked with my cell camera. I can see the led on while pressing any push button, and see it blinking, but it is not working. A dear friend has two remote controls lend me one plastic (RC-10) and works the same as the RC-20. Mine stopped working from one day to the other. There is no abuse. Also, I just installed new fresh batteries and nothing happens.
I remember a dear forum member who fixed one, changing a yellow color electronic device. I was wondering from where he bought that spare part for the remote.
This is the thread. You might pm Mr_BT.

https://conradjohnsonowners.com/viewtop ... ote+repair

Also jack up Jeff. He should send you a replacement. Yours is still in the warranty period.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

roberto wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:11 pm Mine is not working. It is sending signal, checked with my cell camera. I can see the led on while pressing any push button, and see it blinking, but it is not working. A dear friend has two remote controls lend me one plastic (RC-10) and works the same as the RC-20. Mine stopped working from one day to the other. There is no abuse. Also, I just installed new fresh batteries and nothing happens.
It's odd that it's sending the signal but not registering on the equipment (if it's a remote issue). Just to confirm, the RC-10 works on the receiver but the RC-20 doesn't? I've had remotes die on me but they never were actually sending out an actual IR signal.
-admin
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Yes, the rc10 is working perfect. It's the RC'20.
IMG_8367.MOV
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 177 times
You can see de LED working.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I have a gremlin around here somewhere. The remote is working nicely now. I did not do anything. It just lied there for 5 days without batteries, and I just installed the batteries back for the video, and tried it, and now it is working as it should.

Very strange things are happening. I started to bother Mr Jeff about it, and he already told to change the PC board...and now it is working...very weird!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That is rather unusual. Both the failure with the IR transmitter still working as well as the spontaneous return to normal operation.
-admin
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

I usually slap the remote very hard... then it gets retarded! Then I dip it in a glass of Single Malt Whiskey and all is working perfectly!
Cheers maaate,
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:09 am I usually slap the remote very hard... then it gets retarded! Then I dip it in a glass of Single Malt Whiskey and all is working perfectly!
Cheers maaate,
RJ
I know you are joking, but attempting a hard slap is actually something to try. Sometimes a cold solder joint or contact issue can make/lose contact with a hit.
-admin
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

But this is not the case. The remote was laying on my bobby's room table doing nothing and also without batteries. Then I decided to do the video, so I took the RC-10 batteries off and put them on the RC-20 for the video. Once I did the video, I pointed the remote to the ET-7V2 and it turned the preamp on...then once the preamp was ready to operate, I did try all the push buttons, and all worked. I muted, changed all the inputs, the volume up and down, it worked as it should. I really don't know what happened. I took the batteries' cover off and did checked for a faulty contact or something loose, and everything is neat, no bad solder joints, everything is correct!!!

Chicos, these are very strange days...and I am going to throw blessed water all over the room (lol)...a gremlin is living with me...I dunno. Right now, my local time is 7:32 AM and the remote is OK.

Thanks to all again friends...I AM BACK TO HEAVENLY DAYS AGAIN!

Happy listening.
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

As much as I like the look of this remote (my preamp uses the plastic RC-10--I'd love to replace it), I'm not seeing $350 (or even $100) of materials in this. It's also an odd remote in that it doesn't have a power on or off button, yet if I press the volume buttons the wrong way, I've had the preamp turn off.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wildcat wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:36 pm As much as I like the look of this remote (my preamp uses the plastic RC-10--I'd love to replace it), I'm not seeing $350 (or even $100) of materials in this. It's also an odd remote in that it doesn't have a power on or off button, yet if I press the volume buttons the wrong way, I've had the preamp turn off.
I think the viable alternative is to get a programable remote. You can get a pretty nice one for $100. The RC-10 does look and feel pretty cheap. I have both the RC-10 and RC-20 and the 10 is not a show piece. :)
-admin