How to be a responsible owner

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
2catswalkintoabar
Beginner
Beginner

How to be a responsible owner

Post by 2catswalkintoabar »

Hi there - I picked up a PV-2 a few months back from a seller that had acquired it at its original owner's estate sale. The preamp is cosmetically in great condition. The seller cleaned and lubed the switches and pots, centered the balance control when reinstalling the pot, and replaced two of the 12AT7 tubes. Overall, I'm satified with the preamp.

That said, as someone who is new to tube compoents and vitange gear, I want to make sure this amp remains in as good of condition as possible for the next 40 years.

Does anyone have advice, best practices, tips, or FYIs that you'd like to share with someone who's new to tube and vintage gear? I.e. is there anything i should be mindful of as this amp ages? or tips to make sure I don't blow my system up? (for example, its important to power the preamp up/down before/after the power amp....learned that recently)
Audiophilia: The belief that music listening is an acquired skill. Originating in the mid-1950s and popularized by the advent of CDs in the early 1990s, it's commonly associated with middle-aged, musically unskilled white men who enjoy music.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to be a responsible owner

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO, great to have you with us.

Congrats on the PV-2. What a classic!

First, I would make sure that this "temporary owner" didn't use something other than contact cleaner when he "lubed the switches and pots". Beyond that, the unit is rather old. That means caps are going to age out sooner or later. I mean we are taking about a 40+ year old unit. So if you really plan to use it for the next 40 years, probably think about recapping. Now the question becomes, it that really worth it for a 40+ year old unit. In my opinion, probably not unless you have some emotional attachment that outweighs the price vs performance equation.

If the unit is functioning well currently. I would probably say just enjoy it. If something beyond the tubes starts going,.. I would consider the cost of repair vs the cost of buying something better/newer in the CJ line.

As for power up/down order, I go along the path:

Powering on: From source to amp.
Powering down: From amp to source.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola, Admin is right!. I also recommend when powering on the system, the last in the sequence is the power amplifier, but wait at least one minute and then power the amp. And turning the system off, turn the power amp off and wait at least one minute and then proceed to power off all the devices that you have in your system.

I am with Admin too when he says expending a lot of money on recap all the preamp and also the resistors and diodes that might be out of value and it is a task for you to do a good DIY, but you are going to spend good money on a 40 year old electronic device. Is it going to worth all the money and time spend doing it? Only you can say if this worth it...If I were you, I will buy a much newer model and I assure you, the quality sound will be better than your beloved PV2. I am not saying that the PV2 sounds bad, what I am saying is a newer model is better that the PV2.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
2catswalkintoabar
Beginner
Beginner

Post by 2catswalkintoabar »

Right on, that makes sense thanks for the info. I get be on board enjoying this while it lasts.

Thanks!
Audiophilia: The belief that music listening is an acquired skill. Originating in the mid-1950s and popularized by the advent of CDs in the early 1990s, it's commonly associated with middle-aged, musically unskilled white men who enjoy music.