Wilson to reveal new Sasha V on June 23rd.

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Wilson to reveal new Sasha V on June 23rd.

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Select national and international dealers will have the new Sasha V in house for demonstration on 6/23, concurrent with the official release. Paragon Sight and Sound in Ann Arbor is one of a handful of US dealers chosen for participation.

Last month I talked with Bill Peugh (Wilson staff) about the next steps for the Sasha platform and we speculated on the likely new directions… primarily use of the new V series materials. Details have not yet been shared, but migration of the V line materials to the Sasha platform makes a lot of sense.

I’d like to hear them. But if the Sasha DAWs are blown out at half price like the Alexia 2’s fate, it will be hard not to be just a little miffed. On the bright side, they don’t have a backlog of Sasha DAWs to work through.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wilson to reveal new Sasha V on June 23rd.

Post by admin »

Exciting news. Wilson is constantly setting the bar for themselves higher and higher. I hope we get some reviews published.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It looks like their plan is to dribble out a bit more info every day until the launch. Bill Peugh will be present at Paragon’s release party.

I’m not planning on going. If I were to move up from the DAWs, it would be to Alexia V or Alexx V. I am expecting the Sasha V to be different from the DAW in the same way as the Sabrina X was different from the Sabrina. It will be discernible, but not mind boggling. When I listen extensively to the Alexia Vs and then return to my DAWs, I am not disappointed or jonesing for the upgrade.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

Before you jump, take a look at this list from last year....

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ste ... eaker-year
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

audiobill wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:11 pm Before you jump, take a look at this list from last year....

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ste ... eaker-year
Thanks for sharing, but I’ve seen it.

The only thing on that list that interests me is the Alexx V … but, like I said … no matter how good the demo is these days, I go home and love my own system. I don’t even remember ways that the demo might have excelled. The music presented by my system leaves me breathless.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

FWIW, to my ear Wilson has a signature sound which matches well with David’s idea that harmonic expression, dynamic contrast, and micro detail are the goals.

Wilson advancements move toward these goals with each new model or upgrade. None of their offerings veer away from these goals.

If you ask a good Wilson listener, staff or fan, what you get as you move to their ever larger offerings, the answer is always “more.” You basically get the same Wilson signature sound but on a larger scale. The image is larger, the wall of sound can grow louder.

My experiments listening to the various models up the line to the Chronosonics convinced me that the right size for my room and listening preferences would be either the Alexia or Sasha series. If I were dissatisfied with the Sasha DAWs, I don’t think I would move up the Wilson line because it would just be more of the same with a bit more bass. It would not be satisfying. I’d look to another brand.

But I love the Sasha DAWs, and after talking with Daryl about the design process and the love he poured into them in honor of his Dad, I think they’re my end game. These speakers just sing.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

FWIW, choosing based on reviewer voting is folly.

They don’t have your room, your sources, your interconnects, your electronics, your taste, or (most importantly) your ears.

I know you’re enjoying the Blades, just as RJ and Roberto are enjoying their CLXs, and others are enjoying their Maggies or Magicos.it’s not about having the cheapest, or about having what someone else claims is the winner. It’s about having what’s best FOR YOU.

I’m pretty much dialed in to the Wilson DNA sound. The great thing about the DAWs is that I’ve NEVER listened to them and wished they’d presented the performance in a different way. It took 30 years of listening to bad Wilson demos before I got a good one that made me think the Wilson price might be justified. But having lived with Wilsons at home now for nearly a year, I can’t imagine being without them. From the design filosophy to the phinal phinish, I’m an enthusiast.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:18 pm FWIW, choosing based on reviewer voting is folly.

They don’t have your room, your sources, your interconnects, your electronics, your taste, or (most importantly) your ears.
Completely agree. Reviews are fine but I really don't use them to make purchase choices. Too many variables and not to mention that reviews are always positive biased. I can't think of one review in the past twenty issues of Stereophile that was negative. Specs and measurements mean very little to me except for maybe speaker sensitivity, and that is just to make sure amp is suitable but beyond that tells me nothing.

I think at the high level of gear that many of us own it really comes down to taste and personal preference above some objective performance measure. I'm a planar fool. I don't know why? It's just my preference. Is the top of the line Martin Logan or Magnepan better than the top of the line Wilson/KEF/Magicos/etc (or vice versa)... no I don't think so.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

Agree with all. The Blades were simply the best sounding speakers in my room I have heard. As with all of us, there is no way to hear all the best choices in our (very different) rooms.

Best,
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

My observation is that many audiophiles follow three fairy tales.

The Princess and the Pea. They notice things that no one else who was a music lover would notice… and then they build these into disproportionally large irritants.

The Dog with the Bone. They have something that is perfectly good, but they see something that is new and improved, perhaps larger than life. They have to have it, so they trade or sell the thing they like and often end up with something that is an albatross … hard to like, harder to get rid of. Essentially a real loss.

The Emperor’s New Clothes. A company introduces a new wonder product, and the reviewers fawn all over it. It is the latest and greatest. The best thing since sliced bread came out. It gnaws at them to have one too.

I have to get really irritated to make a change. My LP275s were my anti-CJ irritant. It’s too bad, and it was unnecessary. Had CJ just stood up and authorized/instructed me to send them back (either on day 1 under warranty, or later for payment, which I would have sucked up), and then fixed them, I never would have left that plateau.

I’m lucky that most of my moves have led to a new and higher plateau compared to where I was happy before. I think I could live on the earlier plateau, but it would not be with enthusiasm… at least not at first. Really the music is the driving force in the healthiest phase of this hobby. When the music drops into second or third place, below sound and image, you’re in trouble. Then it’s time to join the What’s Best Forum and hob knob with the enchanted “because you can.”

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Correct! That's when it comes all together and the music is fab!

There are plenty of areas to further improve mine as well:
1. Upgrade from Nordost to Odin's & now Odin Gold 2, it never ends...
2. Upgrade the digital gear to either the G0x clocks or that wall clock...
3. Upgrade the TT rig to perhaps a Michell Gyrodec or Orbe, which I truly love...
4. Add another BF210 sub, and rock the neighbourhood...
5. And of course upgrade the pre-power gear to perhaps the ART108A's & Art88... woof to that!

At the end of the day, how much more is all of this going to cost, not a single of these upgrades are affordable. They're all crazy priced, let alone those Nordost Odin's. I sincerely believe when you really know the music is tops and you're really enjoying those finest tunes... why bother?

Downsizing is my next venture, so I've already started looking at Apogee refurbs with some nice SS gear upto par. Just checking these out in advance, that's all, no rush.

Until such time, my best advise is to sit back and keep those tubes glowing!

Woof! RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:55 am There are plenty of areas to further improve mine as well:
1. Upgrade from Nordost to Odin's & now Odin Gold 2, it never ends...
Not on my list. The AQ Thunderbird Zero are as high in the line as I will go. The price point at the top is obscene.
Big Dog RJ wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:55 am
2. Upgrade the digital gear to either the G0x clocks or that wall clock...
Upgrades to the Rossini were on my mind earlier, but I’ve decided that it would be a serious waste of money. The Rossini by itself is better than I’d ever imagined was possible once I sorted out my data delivery issues.
Big Dog RJ wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:55 am 3. Upgrade the TT rig to perhaps a Michell Gyrodec or Orbe, which I truly love...
I’ve had my endgame TT for over 30 years. I might upgrade from Radikal to Radikal 2 just as a prophylactic measure since R2 would restart warranty. But the upgrade is less than $3k, so not major.
Big Dog RJ wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:55 am
4. Add another BF210 sub, and rock the neighbourhood...
I’d probably consider that with CLXs, but not with mine. But that’s not expensive either.
Big Dog RJ wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:55 am 5. And of course upgrade the pre-power gear to perhaps the ART108A's & Art88... woof to that!
If I were still running CJ, I’d consider that path. But if ARC continues to support my gear, I’m at the end game there too. I’m not at their SOTA, but it’s close enough for me.
Big Dog RJ wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:55 am At the end of the day, how much more is all of this going to cost, not a single of these upgrades are affordable. They're all crazy priced, let alone those Nordost Odin's. I sincerely believe when you really know the music is tops and you're really enjoying those finest tunes... why bother?

Downsizing is my next venture, so I've already started looking at Apogee refurbs with some nice SS gear upto par. Just checking these out in advance, that's all, no rush.

Until such time, my best advise is to sit back and keep those tubes glowing!

Woof! RJ
Best analysis so far.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Today’s reveal is that the V will use some V material in the new model. My guess is that the next bit of news will be that the V will use the midrange driver out of the Alexia V. But we won’t hear until the 16th. That’s when the next reveal will be shared.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

"V-material", "Harmonic expression", "Dynamic contrast," "Micro detail".

Sounds like "Emperor's New Clothes"

How about "Darryl's new Ferrari" as a reveal LOL.

AJ. we know you know better than to schill this stuff, all your terms , just trying to keep you grounded.

Leon Festinger once proposed a "Theory of Cognitive Dissonance" that may be neatly summarized as "you come to love that for which you suffer"......
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

audiobill wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:05 pm "V-material", "Harmonic expression", "Dynamic contrast," "Micro detail".

Sounds like "Emperor's New Clothes"

How about "Darryl's new Ferrari" as a reveal LOL.

AJ. we know you know better than to schill this stuff, all your terms , just trying to keep you grounded.

Leon Festinger once proposed a "Theory of Cognitive Dissonance" that may be neatly summarized as "you come to love that for which you suffer"......
I think this is another one of those “we all hear differently” moments.

It is what puts one listener in the McIntosh camp, and another in CJ’s camp, or elsewhere.

If you’ve never heard it, you’ll not understand it.

David’s coining of and use of these terms were excellent examples of the use of language to describe audio phenomena.

I’ve never heard them in a McIntosh demo.

DAW, if nothing else, was an accomplished experimental scientist. He worked like Thomas Edison … tirelessly and with purpose. He didn’t dilute his focus … it was like a laser on speakers. His marketing was goofy… but it didn’t matter because people who got it, got them.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The V was officially released today.

It takes the Sasha forward along David’s idea of “the well made thing.” It follows the Alexia V in several nice touches. For example, it is using the same midrange and tweeter. It is using the same acoustic diode feet. It is using the new V material in strategic areas where there is benefit. It has a level built into the top surface of the lower cabinet.

The price is now $48900 for standard finishes, and up for custom or premium finishes.

If anyone thinks I’m shilling for them instead of just sharing as an enthusiast, you don’t know me or my history with Wilson very well. I’ve spent most of my audiophile life shaking my head in wonderment about the folly of Wilson speakers. Up until a little over a year ago, I’d never had a demo that made me think they were anywhere near even good, let alone great. But that’s all changed with my introduction to a world class dealer. I am a fan. I get it. I am enthused about their performance.

Sadly, the idea that it costs $50k to get into Wilson’s lowest level of in situ time alignment is depressing. I do think they’re worth their price. But most average audiophiles are not going to be able to justify $50k for speakers. Even if the quality is there.

I was able to get an accommodation on my pair of Sasha DAWs, and I ordered before the price hike to $42900. So what I’ve got in my DAWs is significantly more easily justified than this new $50k. But was hard enough. This price increase is good for family politics. My wife is not nearly as critical of what I gave for the DAWs as prices have escalated.

It’s really a shame that this is the way it’s going … but it’s the same at CJ. Nearly $80k for amps and preamp. Add another $20k if you want a first line phono preamp too.

Who can afford this stuff? It’s enough to drive someone into the arms of used McIntosh.

FWIW, I am not even thinking about chasing speakers. The DAWs sound (and are) absolutely beautiful. I will not ask for more.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The air is getting really thing at these prices (for me at least). I guess there are plenty of people with a lot of money that can buy these high quality items without difficulty. Inflation I'm sure also plays a big role in the price increases. It's a little bit of a shame as it really does lock out a lot of young and non-affluent audiophiles. I suppose the robust secondary market is for them...

Regardless, I'm sure the Sasha V sounds amazing. These are top of the line speakers that can compete with the world's best and that is why they can demand such price.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

One thing I noticed is that while the Sasha V uses the midrange and tweeter out of the Chronosonic XVX (like the Alexx V and the Alexia V), the Sasha DAW uses the midrange and tweeter out of the Master Chronosonic.

I’m wondering aloud why that would be an upgrade.

I looked at the owners manual for the V. It is more detailed, and I think better than the manual for the DAW. The new manual shows the impedance and phase curves. The impedance looks pretty similar to the impedance of the DAW, but the V is slightly less efficient (88 dB/W/m as opposed to 90).

The acoustic diode feet for the V are, or at least were, available as an upgrade for the DAW (with a $3200 price tag).

I am curious to hear them … mostly to see how closely they come to their bigger brother, the Alexia V. I already know that listening to the Alexia V does not make me want to upgrade. Still, I’d like to hear the new V.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice article on the new Sasha V's with a detail of the new upgrades for the series.

https://twitteringmachines.com/wilson-a ... -v-status/
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

That’s pretty much the Wilson press release. No one’s really had much time with them yet, except Daryl, and Bill Peugh.