Replacement Backup Tube Amp Recommendation

From tubes to solid state.
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Replacement Backup Tube Amp Recommendation

Post by mstrshikadance »

Hi All!

I run a Premier 11 (Not A or XS) as my daily driver amp and I love it.

I know that this amp is quite old at this point and I am interested in purchasing a newer CJ Tube Power Amp to compare but also to have as a backup, or use in a secondary system.

The new Classic 62 is in my budget, but are there any recommended Vintage CJ power amps that might have a sonic improvement over the P11?

I would be interested an in EL34 based power amp.

Thanks!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Replacement Backup Tube Amp Recommendation

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Buy a new Classic 62. Use the P11 as the spare.

Your audio system will be far more drama free. All the remaining drama will come from the music.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by mstrshikadance »

thanks for enabling my wallet!

I was hoping for a more affordable outcome, but I love everything about CJ amps so this is probably what I will end up doing.

I see a used Classic 60 for sale for a great price. Have any experience with the 60 versus the 62?
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

My experience is that the newer designs are better. Jeff considers the 62 to be an upgrade. If you buy a new one, it’s warranted. If you prefer used, you might pick up a 60 at lower cost.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The 62 should be better sonically. As AJ mentioned, buying a newer unit increases reliability as longevity. How much you are willing to pay for those two benefits is up to you.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes had the Classic 60 and 62 and both SE versions as well.
Actually they were upgrades in succession starting with the MV60SE, LP66S, LP70S, Classic 60se, Classic 62se, LP140m & LP275m and finally onto the LP125m (custom- modded) for specific partnering to ML CLX's.

The MV60/SE is a great move from the Premier 11A. CJ wanted to offer something more affordable and better in performance that will replace the Premier 11A with higher quality parts and so they introduced two versions of the MV60. The MV60 uses EL34's and the SE version uses 6550's, which can also accommodate KT120's. I ended up using the KT120's on the MV60SE, driving Maggie's and Quads, it served extremely well.

The Classic 60 and 62 series, replaced the MV60 and further up towards the LP66S and LP70S. The LP260m and LP275m were replaced by the ART series and they inturn were replaced by CJ's newest ART series amplifiers that cost a fortune!

So this is the present line-up and the history of the Premier 11 that was fantastic gear within the Premier series but has very rightly being surpassed by all those amplifiers. The Primer series is very vintage now but still going strong if well looked after.

Cheers, RJ
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by mstrshikadance »

Thanks for all the input. Considering how well my P11 has served me, I am currently considering upping my budget to a 62SE or 120 figuring it will last me for another 10-15 years.

but you know what happens...when you upgrade the amp, pre is next :-)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mstrshikadance wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:41 am Thanks for all the input. Considering how well my P11 has served me, I am currently considering upping my budget to a 62SE or 120 figuring it will last me for another 10-15 years.

but you know what happens...when you upgrade the amp, pre is next :-)
You are right. The upgrade path is never-ending. But if you get 10-15 years of play on a new unit, that's pretty darn good in my opinion.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

I personally like the Classic 60SE and the LP125SA+. They use a 6189 (12AU7) input tube. The ARTsa uses the same tube. And the ART Mono uses a single triode version, the M8080. If you can live with 60wpc, the Classic 60SE is a sonic bargain. When I first heard one in my system I was not prepared for how good it sounds. I paid $2,300 for it. Unfortunately I need more than 60wpc.

Main differences between the 60SE and 62SE is the input tube, and the 60 has naked transformers with an extended tube cage, while the 62SE has transformers with bell covers and the cage is a little shorter. Same differences between a LP125SA+ and Classic 120SE.

It is possible to use EL34 tubes but you have to either manually measure and set individual bias to 50ma, or change Vled reference voltage to 1.0V. With Vled at 1.0V bias indicators light at 50ma bias current. Set Vled to 1.2V for 60ma bias current; 6550/KT88/KT120.