Phillips PCC88 or Gold Lion 6922

The PV-1 to now...
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Phillips PCC88 or Gold Lion 6922

Post by jimbones »

Hi Which of these 2 tubes for my ET5.
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Phillips PCC88 or Gold Lion 6922

Post by AnotherJohnson »

There are other threads on this very issue.

If you search, you will discover that some like one, some the other.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Well, you guys were right. The PCC88 sounded good at first. Until I started changing the volume control. Apparently the incredibly small vibration from the volume relays were inducing a "whine" in the tube while switching. I returned the tube and have a Gold Lion on the way. Its what Jeff at CJ said I should get. On another note he also strongly advised against aftermarket fuses and to make sure anything I get is UL listed. There goes my idea of trying fuses lol
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’m pretty negative about using aftermarket fuses, but many do swear by them. It’s your gear, so your choice. But I agree with the idea of not going there.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:40 pm I’m pretty negative about using aftermarket fuses, but many do swear by them. It’s your gear, so your choice. But I agree with the idea of not going there.
I may try a ceramic fuse that is UL Listed. UL listing is key as they are accurately tested to make sure they blow when they are supposed to. I find ceramic body tend to be more damped. Not sure it will have a positive effect but its cheap and safe.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Well I received my GL 6922 and it is better than the PCC88 in my system. I have switched over to the NAD M23 power amps for the summer and the combo is sounding incredible. Best my system has ever sounded. My next venture will be taking a serious look at my DAC for possible upgrade.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad to hear it's sounding great. What DACs are you looking at?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

admin wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:21 pm Glad to hear it's sounding great. What DACs are you looking at?
Not sure my budget is 5k used/new. im currently using a Auralic Vega (original)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lots of options in that range. Maybe a used PS Audio DAC, I'm very happy with my Holo Audio May DAC, the top Schiit DAC if you want to go substantially under budget, etc...
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

See if you can get hold of a Lampizator DAC. By chance you may be lucky. These are generally not sold easily in used simply because their owners don't move them on, unless they were upgrading their Lampi's.

The Lampi DACs are in a class of their own, really special DACs, superb stuff! Partnered with CJ gear, that's a SOTA combination.
Cheers, RJ
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Big Dog, I am getting on on loan cant remember if it was an Amber or Baltic 4.

Meow,
Jim
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hey jimbones,

I'm glad you liked the GL. That's the one that I am using. To me is the best S/N and love the harmonic texture too. Very dynamic and the bass is robust, clean and well defined.

I had a problem with my HOLO DAC, and went back to my Exasound DAC. The truth is, I am not missing the Holo very much...this Exasound dac is very good. Of course the Holo May Kte is a better DAC.

If you are thinking in a new improved sound, search for a Exasound DAC. You won't be disappointed, It is warm and very clean sound. Open sound stage and offers a lot of simplicity. As an example, the " S " is a very strong feature in favor. Usually in DACs, the jitter produces a lot of " SSSHHH " instead of a clean " S ".

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

roberto wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:22 pm I had a problem with my HOLO DAC, and went back to my Exasound DAC. The truth is, I am not missing the Holo very much...this Exasound dac is very good. Of course the Holo May Kte is a better DAC.
I was not aware of this. What happened?
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Talking about DACs in the sub $5k range, the McIntosh MDA200 is $4k at retail and some dealers may be flexible on price.

The MDA200’s digital module is upgradable if McIntosh develops a new module. So that’s a level of future proofing.

I have several DACs here and I would rank the MDA200 on par with or better than all but the dCS Rossini. It is very good. But so are the DACs in the Marantz SAKI Ruby and the Levinson 5101.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

admin wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:12 pm
roberto wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:22 pm I had a problem with my HOLO DAC, and went back to my Exasound DAC. The truth is, I am not missing the Holo very much...this Exasound dac is very good. Of course the Holo May Kte is a better DAC.
I was not aware of this. What happened?
I don't know, it fails to turn on. Only red LED on. You can hear the relays working, but it won't turn on. I wrote to Kitsune and Tim immediately response and in a couple of emails he is sending the complete MCU unit. He said this might be the problem and an easy task to do.

I think I was too soft when I said that the Exasound was a nice DAC, and it is, but belongs to a much lower story than the Holo. The difference is the stage, the holographic sound, the timber and the size of the musical instruments. The Holo is sweet and mellow, with a stage that it is breath taking. I am really missing it. Sorry for my description above. I had tried other brands, but the Holo is a clear winner. Had the Denafrips Terminator Plus, and it has a lot of definition, but the easy going of the Holo is what I do like more.

Have a pleasant listening.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry to hear about the failure. Tim is very responsive in my experience as well. I didn't have any issues with my unit but when I first got it I wanted to open it up but the screw placement is not obvious so I asked him via email which screws actually need to be removed for the top cover to come off. He quickly responded with a set of videos that he made specifically for my request showing the order of their removal. I thought it was an extra level of service vs what I was expecting to be a simple email saying "just take the ones out from the side and back".

It's nice they offer a 3 year warranty so everything should be covered. I'm very happy with mine and at this point have no intention of changing DACs. It's definitely the best DAC that I have ever owned (sorry my beloved CJ D/A-2B).
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:09 pm I don't know, it fails to turn on. Only red LED on. You can hear the relays working, but it won't turn on. I wrote to Kitsune and Tim immediately response and in a couple of emails he is sending the complete MCU unit. He said this might be the problem and an easy task to do.

I think I was too soft when I said that the Exasound was a nice DAC, and it is, but belongs to a much lower story than the Holo. The difference is the stage, the holographic sound, the timber and the size of the musical instruments. The Holo is sweet and mellow, with a stage that it is breath taking. I am really missing it. Sorry for my description above. I had tried other brands, but the Holo is a clear winner. Had the Denafrips Terminator Plus, and it has a lot of definition, but the easy going of the Holo is what I do like more.
I think I know how you are feeling. As a music lover, you are thankful to have the alternative DAC because it delivers the music while the better DAC is down. The music is your #1 priority, and that’s the way it should be.

I am sorry that the Holo May KTE needs repair, but who better than you to accomplish this? I’m glad to hear that the company is standing up to support their product.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thank you my friends, I do feel you and your concern. Tim gave a lot of advice and those make a lot of sense. The built quality, for those who like the good built things, the only cables that are in the unit are in the power supply, from the IEC power AC connector to the main board and the hand made flat wound cable toroidal transformers. The ones that connect the DC from uni to unit and that's it. What a design, what a quality construction. I have to admire this.

Thanks again dear friends!
Roberto.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

jimbones wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:51 am Big Dog, I am getting on on loan cant remember if it was an Amber or Baltic 4.

Meow,
Jim
Ah nice one matey. Either of the Lampi DACs will be mighty supreme. Just decide on the one that totally engages you in the presentation. They both will but on your particular system you'll know which one.
The Lampi DACs tubes can also be changed to arrive at better results. Once you do finalise on one, later on you can custom order the tubes towards a custom sound. That's one of the very special things with all Lampi DACs.

The higher in their line-up the more transparency and detail levels/ musical information is retrieved. It's a superb DAC that doesn't cost a bloody fortune and they really make a significant difference in any highend system.

See how you go and let us know the outcome.
Woofty woof'n! RJ