Is Audio Research bankrupt?

Everything not even remotely related to CJ.
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Is Audio Research bankrupt?

Post by tonye »

Hmm... it looks like ARC is having some issues borrowing money as interest rates are moving up.

Looks like the crazy political elites are killing off American Industry.

It's sad as it seems like ARC was returning to the entry level after years of ever more expensive components.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Is Audio Research bankrupt?

Post by Joe Appierto »

There's an existing thread on this topic and you might want to post there.

https://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/vie ... php?t=2673
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:43 am Hola Chicos,

I just found this:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... p.1173986/
This is one of the less authoritative summaries.

I will meet some high muckity mucks later today.

The story is not yet written. The news of their death is premature.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I hope that so AJ...the products are well known for their quality. There is a Costa Rican saying: when the river is sounding, it's because big rocks are coming!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

They are definitely in the rapids.

They will emerge, hopefully upright with their paddle.
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

Talking to someone in the business today.

It sounds worse that it seems. Looks like ARC is not getting paid... hence the cash issues. This seems to be affecting a lot of such companies.

McIntosh, OTOH, seems to be doing quite well. Even though their stuff "sounds average"...
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

All is well, not to worry. 😉

Now let's all get back to our fine tunes.
Cheers, RJ
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

Yeah, it looks like a buyer showed up.

It was (is) a cash flow issue and a bank that likely is having its own issues.

Ironically, in the US, having a well run company is dangerous because you are the first creditor a bank in trouble will go after. It seems like being a deadbeat guarantees that you will be the last resort for any lenders that need their money back.

Maybe pulling a CJ job like Jeff did... shrinking the size of the company... cuts back on the need for cash... OTOH, how small can a company go before it ceases to exist?

It will be interesting what path ARC takes. McIntosh is doing well because it comes out with lots of products at "entry level"... and then they do some crazy stunts ( stuff that looks good ).... when Mac and ARC were owned by the same people, it pushed ARC up market not to compete with Mac.

Fortunately for ARC, they still sounded good (*). Their new little integrated looks nice, hopefully they'll come out with product in the under 100 wpc that is not "Reference" priced. They can do that now and beat the pants of the "average" Mac sound.

(*) I still prefer the sound of CJ.. specially the preamps.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:51 pm All is well, not to worry. 😉

Now let's all get back to our fine tunes.
Cheers, RJ
I'm with him. :)
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:38 pm Audio Research Corp is alive!!!!

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articl ... rporation/
This is from last week, no?

The latest is that the new owner will be revealed today. The name has actually been leaked.

I’m waiting for the official announcement which had not yet come as of a few minutes ago. But insiders are sharing.

ARC was never close to bankruptcy. Sadly, the same may not be said for TWS Enterprises.

Out of respect for the involved parties, I will wait for the official announcement.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The TAS article referred to this story

https://trackingangle.com/features/audi ... st-for-now

There are 15 comments so far, including comments from Mike Fremmer and Kevin Deal.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

It is such another fantastic audio designer and builder that I knew someone was going to chime and help!

I think that good things are coming...
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It is somewhat disconcerting that Michael Fremmer’s site TrackingAngle.com keeps teasing that the deal is done and the announcement is forthcoming.

If I were speculating, my speculation would be that MF is wrong and that there will be no announcement until the after the hearing on Wednesday.

If I’m wrong and there is a formal announcement today, that will be a good thing.

Meanwhile the actual business of ARC continues unabated.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yep, like I said ARC is far too valuable to lose. It's not just another amp brand... it's far far more than that and beyond!
As far as I'm aware, there were quite a number queuing up to own ( even one of my very close associates put his hand up), however they wanted to choose the right fit. Can't blame them, for what it stands for, only a few really know that part of the brand.

Cheers to ARC!
RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:34 am Yep, like I said ARC is far too valuable to lose. It's not just another amp brand... it's far far more than that and beyond!
As far as I'm aware, there were quite a number queuing up to own ( even one of my very close associates put his hand up), however they wanted to choose the right fit. Can't blame them, for what it stands for, only a few really know that part of the brand.
There were several suitors.

I am rooting for one that I think will help the whole tube scene.

The leaks have been unconfirmable.

The next hearing is tomorrow and I can’t imagine that the revelation will come before then. I think Michael Fremmer has been played as a useful idiot. The leaks have been leaked at the TAS end of the pool, and they had an instant effect of reducing chatter.

The leak that Val Cora was the new owner makes no sense on several levels, although it is plausible and it redirects the focus away from better suited candidates.

I think the real meat and potatoes are

1. ARC business is operating as usual.

2. Tubes are scarce.

Item 2 affects all of us tube aficionados. I’m much more concerned about 2, than about 1.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Correct!

I've sort of finalised my list of SS amps... in time to come.
Right now, I'm listening to the system with the Pass Labs XA160.8 monoblocks, superb!!!👌 100w plus pure Class A finesse, crazy power! Just like those Relentless amps.

However, at the end of the day, still my overall performance is tubes. That being said not just the front-end (preamp and phono-preamp) but also the back-end. I'm so drawn to their enveloping affect, I'll probably suffer from tooob depression. Ha!

Yes, supplies and logistics are an issue with tubes but as I've always said, if there's a will there's a way! So be it.
Cheers to tooobs!
RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’m wondering about where to go in SS should need arise.

Still downsized, I absolutely loved the Levinson 5805 after it broke in but before it broke down. I would not chance another.

Most of the high end companies, like Pass, Lamm, D’Agostino, are Mom & Pop operations dependent on a small cadre, perhaps as small as one, person.

If I move back to solid state, I want two things.

1. The expectation of long life reliability.

2, The expectation of serious post sale support if 1 fails.

McIntosh has the best track record by far, and their sound has improved in their more expensive products. But I would want to take a deep dive into DarTZeel, Burmester, CH … maybe even Krell. I know Roberto had disappointments with Krell, but they were always supportive in my own case. It’s just that they’re not what they once were. They seem more HT focused.

I would not consider ANYTHING that gave the appearance of western origin while actually being manufactured in the east. Hegel, Prima Luna, and the whole host of British mid fi cr*p come to mind quickly.

These guys are often recommended by non audiophiles with deep pockets who love music.

http://www.spectralaudio.com/
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

Big Dog-

Have you heard the Aleph 2 ( I got those, DIY clones )? The 1.2 ( I haven't heard those ). The A2 puts out 100/200 wpc into 8/4 ohms all day. While it heats up your house, naturally. 400 watts of heating per channel.

The Alephs got a bit more 2nd harmonic than the XA160.8.. indeed the entire XA series, but they are simpler and very good sounding. Far less parts. There's a lot to be said for less parts.

ARC wise... I've been thinking for quite a while about getting a VT200 MkII or VT100 MkIII. I saw a 200 recently, for a good price, but when I put my hands on it, it was a beast. So I didn't pull the trigger and made an offer on it. I think when it gets to that size, you need to go mono blocks. I need to rethink that... perhaps go to VTM200. Or maybe rethink how much power do I need out of tubes. Would a VT100 be enough? My refurbished D70-II with Russkie tubes ( I've had Sovtek/Svetlanas on it since '95) sounds awesome... perhaps a D110-II?

Mac... recently I saw ( it was in the shop, not powered up ) an MC901. Truly a beast of an amp. Way over the top in size and design, IMHO. I wonder how many amps that thing takes. Lots of circuits, tons of complexity... eye candy for sure. No clue how it sounds.

When it comes to Solid State, I've pretty much settled on Class A. Indeed, the SIT (VFET) I'm running now, at only 30 wpc actually drives the Maggie 1.7s. Not to Mahler, no Sex Pistols at 11, nope... but very good at 90% of all music at sane levels. It actually surprised me. There is a 50 wpc design going around, I think I'm gonna try for it.

Class AB solid state holds no love chez moi... but I do have an NCore eval amp.... hmm...

When it comes to analog components, there are designs going back to 50 years that are quite competitive today. Good designs and parts have staying power, not so digital. Heck, from the 60s, Marantz, Fisher and even Mac's tubes are still very good sounding today. Sure, they are a bit rose colored but still quite satisfying with the right speakers. When power was at a premium, engineers were quite careful and intelligent with their designs.

I think there used to be a ethos of realism in the High End that has gone out the door in the last 20 years in those Uber Expensive Reference High End components. Too many components nowadays are "cost no object" and that is not good from an engineering (and audiophile) point of view. Having a price point forces the engineer to THINK and make decisions. Compromises if you will, but good compromises. The initial planning and design become more important: parts, circuits, voicing, etc... With price no longer being an object, it becomes a check list of expensive stuff that goes in, with no real though about how it will all come together at the end. And at the end, when reality hits them on the head that it "doesn't sound that good", then they use marketing to BS their way out of it. So they sell it to the Status Crowd.