Sennheiser HDV 820

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Sennheiser HDV 820

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I picked up one of these headphone amps second hand to see how it would sound driving my Sennheiser HD 800S headphones which are nominally 300 Ohms. I’ve been using the HD800S with the built in headphone amp in the Marantz SA-KI Ruby.

Several observations about the HDV 820.

1. It did not work well with balanced inputs from the Ref 6SE. Not enough gain.

2. It did not work at all with a coax connection to the SA-KI Ruby. No gain at all. It acted as though it wasn’t even powered.

3. If I connect it unbalanced to the Ruby, it is perfect. Even better bass and detail than the Ruby resident headphone amp.

Any ideas about 1 and/or 2?
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Sennheiser HDV 820

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I will say that my first impressions with the Ruby and this Sennheiser combo is the best headphone performer I’ve ever heard. Granted, I’ve not heard everything out there. But I’ve heard a fair number of things, and my non headphone setup is pretty serious.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:51 am
Several observations about the HDV 820.

1. It did not work well with balanced inputs from the Ref 6SE. Not enough gain.

2. It did not work at all with a coax connection to the SA-KI Ruby. No gain at all. It acted as though it wasn’t even powered.

3. If I connect it unbalanced to the Ruby, it is perfect. Even better bass and detail than the Ruby resident headphone amp.

Any ideas about 1 and/or 2?
I have to say that is pretty weird considering line level inputs should work. Any chance there is a fault with the analog inputs? I may test it with an easily variable input such as a 3.5mm jack output from your phone to the HDV820 RCA inputs and you can push the output volume up and down on the phone to get a sense of input level response. You would need a 3.5mm to RCA out cable. I also see a "gain" adjustor on the back of the 820. Any chance that was turned down to much?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

RCA works. XLR and coax do not.

Gain on back only impacts RCA according to both labeling and manual, but I fiddled with it on XLR and coax anyway. No affect.

RCA works fine. Gain on back is in clear steps, not continuous, but works as would be expected.

I’ve got an inquiry in with the dealer.

I was ready to pack it up when I tried RCA as a last ditch effort.

I even raised the output limit on the Rossini to 6 V from 2. Some improvement, but not enough to make it listenable.

The McKenzies analog RCA connection is great.

There is probably some issue in software that has been changed by the prior owner. I may track it down, but right now the performance is unexpectedly good.

The one other possibility would be to use REC OUT (full line out on pre). But I’ve already had the variable out up over 12 o’clock.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Got it, confused as to what inputs were working. In that case you can try a RCA to XLR connector but if that doesn't work and the RCA input does, then I think something is broken in the XLR input signal path of the 820 and not a level output issue. The coax really should just work no matter what unless the output on the source is broken which I presume has been tested and ruled out.

Considering that two different inputs don't work, and one is analog the other digital, I'm really thinking some kind internal failure. :(
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:53 pm Got it, confused as to what inputs were working. In that case you can try a RCA to XLR connector but if that doesn't work and the RCA input does, then I think something is broken in the XLR input signal path of the 820 and not a level output issue. The coax really should just work no matter what unless the output on the source is broken which I presume has been tested and ruled out.

Considering that two different inputs don't work, and one is analog the other digital, I'm really thinking some kind internal failure. :(
I doubt it is a failure. It is more likely a software setting that the prior owner chose. This set up is apparently popular with folks who listen at their computer. There is a fancy DAC and drivers that have software settings. It comes with software loaded on a memory stick, and it is upgradable directly from the Sennheiser site.

I do not want to use coax because I think the resident DAC is probably the least capable of my choices. I would like to use XLR, but for the less than 2 meter run, it doesn’t make a difference. RCA is just as good.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is there a way to reset all the setting to default? Or download a fresh firmware set to the memory stick?
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:11 pm Is there a way to reset all the setting to default? Or download a fresh firmware set to the memory stick?
That’s what I’m thinking. But it’s sort this of a moot point since I do not want to use the digital features.

Side point:

Most headphone amps are designed for a specific load impedance, including this one. It seems to be synergistically mated with Sennheiser 300 Ohm loads.

Most are designed to match 30 ohm loads.

The McIntosh headphone amps allow variable load choices. They may not be unique n this feature, but you do not see it often. It’s a nice touch.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Page 23 has the instructions for the firmware update: https://media.graphassets.com/OVo7objgRtyYYhSOexX0

The update software can be run on Mac or Windows.

I would probably start with that as my first step. Even if you don't use the digital input, best to have everything working and also to have the latest firmware. There may be other "under the hood" improvements.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Yes, I saw this last night after downloading the manual.

Another IT thing that’s both inconvenient and more aggravation.

That’s a feature of the CJ headphone amp. Jeff’s signature lack of features. I think it is appealing to his core customer base.

If ARC goes belly up and I can’t maintain my ARC gear at some point down the road, I think I’ll have to really take a hard look at the reliability and maintainability issues when I choose a replacement.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've said it before but I think the greatest risk to the longevity of modern audio equipment is not hardware but software. Any unit that relies on software/firmware is but one upgrade requirement away from complete obsolescence.

Luckily for ARC gear this is not going to be an issue as there are not controller apps to support, no streaming service integrations that have to be kept up, etc... I hope the company doesn't fold but if they do, the gear should function well for a long time. It will then be hardware repair issues that limit their lifespan.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/ ... ost-873884

Check out this link to a post from an insider. Sounds like good news. I hope it is correct.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

After nearly four weeks of using the Sennheiser HD800S headphones with the Sennheiser HDV 820 amp late at night, I really like the combination.

My set up is Amazon Prime by WiFi to ND8006. ND8006 controlled by HEOS. Stream fed via AQ Cinnamon digital coax to the SA-KI Ruby. The feed to the Sennheiser HDV820 is by unbalanced AQ Mackenzies. The HD800S are plugged into he HDV820 via the quarter inch stereo input jack.

These headphones are dynamic, present a decent image, have good tonal balance, and are fairly light and comfortable. My other Sennheiser gear has been trouble free. If these components are as reliable, they’ll have been a good value.

Comparing the HDV820 to the headphone amp I’d been using (the built in that’s included with the SA-KI Ruby), it has better bass definition. I probably wouldn’t buy the Sennheiser gear at retail, but these were both bought used, and I’m pleased with them.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. Anyway to use the high end dCS gear as the source and just use the HDV820 as an analog headphone amp?
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:18 am Very nice. Anyway to use the high end dCS gear as the source and just use the HDV820 as an analog headphone amp?
Have no idea. Should be. Once I set up the ND8006 to Ruby set up, I lost interest.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:47 am
admin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:18 am Very nice. Anyway to use the high end dCS gear as the source and just use the HDV820 as an analog headphone amp?
Have no idea. Should be. Once I set up the ND8006 to Ruby set up, I lost interest.
Since I got Comcast to fix their data delivery, the ND8006 has not had any trouble staying synched with my WiFi.

I’m streaming Amazon Prime with HEOS as the control. In recent months it has always been ready to work. No drama. Turn it on, and it does what’s asked. This is a huge improvement compared to a year ago.

The stream goes to the Ruby’s DAC via a low end AQ digital coax. The Ruby’s unbalanced analog output goes to the Sennheiser HDV820.

So how does this compare to Amazon Prime streamed through the BluOS Node to the Rossini and on to the ARC/Wilson open air sound?

It’s different. It is not bad. It is good. The whole headphone listening experience is different. If you need it, you need it. You get good tone and timbre. You get good dynamics. You even get something of a sound stage. It is very nice … but it is not the same as the speaker based sound.

I ought to go directly from the ND8006 to the Sennheiser via the analog out jacks and compare that. The headphone expert is definitely a different animal.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sennheiser makes some really great headphones and gear. I'm not really a "cans" guy so my knowledge base is not very good. I do listen to headphones at work on some grado's. AJ, have you tried any of Grado's headphones? They are made in the US and give a lot of bang for the buck and they have a complete line going from under $100 to 4 figures.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:37 pm Sennheiser makes some really great headphones and gear. I'm not really a "cans" guy so my knowledge base is not very good. I do listen to headphones at work on some grado's. AJ, have you tried any of Grado's headphones? They are made in the US and give a lot of bang for the buck and they have a complete line going from under $100 to 4 figures.
I’ve always liked the concept of Grado. I owned one of his turntables with a OEM carved wooden tonearm back in the day.

I’ve owned some of his cartridges, including reference level.

I say “him” (referring to Joe) because he was the owner/personality in the old days.

I have seen their modern headphone lineup, but I’ve not given it a serious audition. Everything Grado makes uses wood, and wood can’t possibly always be the best choice.

People like their headphones, so they’re probably good. Prices seem reasonable, especially for something still made in NYC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's still a family business. His son's have taken over so it's still owned by the same bloodline. Considering how long they have been in business that is rare these days. As for the wood bodies, they do have some that are metal, but I think their opinion is that the wood is not bad per se. Again, I'm really not that knowledgeable about the headphones scene but thought it may interest you.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:30 pm It's still a family business. His son's have taken over so it's still owned by the same bloodline. Considering how long they have been in business that is rare these days. As for the wood bodies, they do have some that are metal, but I think their opinion is that the wood is not bad per se. Again, I'm really not that knowledgeable about the headphones scene but thought it may interest you.
I thought it was a nephew. But I may not remember correctly.