Preamp reccs to go with my mf2500a

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
bcupari
New User
New User

Preamp reccs to go with my mf2500a

Post by bcupari »

I recently acquired a mf2500a. I’m using a pf1 preamp which I love. The bass with these two is amazing but my upper end feels a bit thinner than I’d like. I am using some recently acquired Tekton pendragons so maybe that is a bit of an issue but open to suggestions. Need something under $1000 and I always buy used. Thanks in advance.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Preamp reccs to go with my mf2500a

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO, great to have you with us.

Nice combo. My first CJ unit was a PF2. You may want to look at a newer preamp as it will significantly improve the upper range as well as the overall soundstage. The PF1 is now over 3 decades old. The components are going to start showing their age. It was never meant to be a top of the line unit even in for CJ gear. When I went from the PF2 to a PV12 there was a massive improvement. Likewise, from the PV12 to the ET7s2, a very big leap. Just some things to consider.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Overhang
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Preamp reccs to go with my mf2500a

Post by Overhang »

Years ago I purchased two mf2500a amps with an idea to biamp my then Snell Type B speakers and I was unable to bring them to life with those amps. Luckily the dealer took them back. Had to use my old MF 200 and it did a splendid job until I got Pass amps. My preamp back then was CJ PFR.