Which "Golden Glow" CJ Preamp To Mate with CAV 45S-2

The PV-1 to now...
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Re: Which "Golden Glow" CJ Preamp To Mate with CAV 45S-2

Post by Paolo »

admin wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:57 am Luckily, the maggies are easier to clean because they have the cloth on pretty much all time. I was always anxious about vacuuming my Margin Logan Vantages even though ML says it's fine to do.
Maggies fortunately do not attract detritus like Logans. However, some years ago, another pair of Maggies unfortunately did attract the unwanted attention of an intrepid feline who thought they were his personal scratching posts. Said cat finally passed on and I could once again have Magnepans in my home.

Other than the scratching post issue, Eddy (RIP) was a great pal.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I certainly hope Eddy's passing was not under mysterious circumstance shortly after using the maggies as scratching posts.

Incidentally I never had a significant dust collection problem with the ML stats. It actually collected more dust on the top of the unit than on the actual panels. I would gently vacuum them once every couple of years and not really sure if they needed even that. I also live in pet free house so that can obviously change things dramatically.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Rest assured: No cats were harmed during my quest for planar goodness.

I've often been tempted by MLs but the last time I did an A/B with Maggies I felt it was a draw and since I already owned the Maggies I did not go with Logans.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Paolo mate, just a note:

The last version of the CAV45-S2 I had, was actually driving a pair of ML Ethos hybrid stats, it was fabulous!

Then of course I ventured towards the CLX's and had to obviously upgrade the entire amplification and the rest is history. Maggie's with CJ gear is a fine combination, at the same time ML with CJ gear is a whole different level.

When the CAV45 is partnered with ML hybrids, it's only driving the stat panels, whereas the bass drivers have their built-in Class D amplification. The CAV45 is just cruising...
It was a purity and absolutely beautiful smooth operator coming from the fine musicality of EL34's, that very combination on stats is a marvellous presentation.

Cheers, RJ
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Aye, Matey. I'd love to be able to sample some ML goodness in my home but for the moment, I have other pressing matters both audio and more importantly of a business and domestic nature. Meanwhile the CAV45S2 into the MMG's is quite decent enough and satisfying. I do not think that in my room the CAV45 works that well with my Guarneri Homage. Not bad, mind you, but not as pleasing as my long-gone tube separates.

As we've spoken previously in private, I remain intrigued by Pathos hybrid Integrated amplifiers which may suit me just fine. But that's down the line for now.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Paolo wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:33 pm Meanwhile the CAV45S2 into the MMG's is quite decent enough and satisfying. I do not think that in my room the CAV45 works that well with my Guarneri Homage. Not bad, mind you, but not as pleasing as my long-gone tube separates.
This strikes me as likely very true. The CAV 45 s2 is very nice for what it is. But it is not going to outperform a good CJ amp and preamp.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes that's correct. Any of the newer pre-power gear from CJ will out perform the CAV45, there's no doubt.

The CAV45 was introduced by CJ as a direct replacement to the CAV50 but it took them quite a while to do so. The CAV50 was a wonderful integrated, and very similar to the MV50 & MV55, it was highly musical and engaging, which is a typical trait of the EL34.

Although CJ had on offer entry-level tube gear, such as the PV15 and MV60 series, there was another market segment that wanted further simplicity. So after a few deliberations the CAV45 was introduced. It was quite successful and had a very good run, so when JF took over he decided to offer the CAV45-S2. That S2 version actually won an award! The whole idea and concept of another replacement for the memorable CAV50 proved worthwhile.

The CAV45 is a great little unit, extremely quiet and pure, no linestage gain preamp section, just a passive control. That's what it is and no matter what you add onto, it will still remain as simple as it is.

Like I've said before, it matches very well with high efficiency speakers and easy loads. Horns and hybrids are an ideal match with the CAV45, anything else is pushing the output stage to levels that it's not comfortable with.

Having looked at specs, you'd think that the CAV45 has slightly more muscle power than the ART27A. However, that's only on specs... the ART27A is a pure Class A design and it's rated 35w in Class A is actually closer to 3 times more power and higher current than the CAV45. Class A based output stages are fully on all the time, there's no On-Off-On-Off cycle like the typical push pull ultra linear config. Class A is a completely different topology all together and has far greater capacity in both high current and highly stable voltage, therefore allowing more Class A bias.

Someone was just asking me this today, and was just about to purchase the CAV45-S2 thinking that it's more powerful than the ART27A. After I explained the Class A operation they understood and have now ordered an ART27A. Price wise, obviously there's a huge difference between the two but this person can afford either. Just to mention his speakers are the Avant Garde Trio Classico Horns. Another excellent match with the ART27A. His former amp was the Ayon integrated using KT150's. I heard this particular setup and although it had all the dynamics and transient attacks, it lacked a sense of musicality and finesse. That's when I suggested the ART27A.

I had the wonderful pleasure of experiencing the ART27A with Avant Garde's Duo XD's few years ago, and it was superb! That was on my final short list at one point but then came along stats... the rest is history.

Horn type speakers and other hybrid systems having efficiency ratings of above 98dB with 16 Ohm loads are ideal for both the CAV45 and ART27A. OTOH thanks to the ART27A's Class A output stage, it's able to drive other types of speakers like Wilson's and Sonus Faber's to glorious levels. The success factor to this combination though is finding a suitable preamp of equal quality to match well with the ART27A. So unless it's an ART88, GAT/S2 or similar on par, it won't bring out the excellence of the ART88.

The other good news is, now this chap has finally realised that and placed an order for the ART88 as well, good on him!

Just thought I'd share this, as I found it interesting that quite a few people couldn't find any much of a difference between the CAV45 and the ART27A on specs. They didn't know what Class A was all about. Rather they were looking only at watts. That's why I always say, don't rely on specs!!! They're just a data sheet with figures, you have to audition to know what the gear is capable of, especially amplifiers! I can't stress this enough.

Cheers maties, and keep those tubes glowing!
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great story RJ. I think your friend made a wise decision. The CAV45-s2 is a great unit when paired with the proper speaker. It's simplicity and lower cost makes it a great option for many, but as you mentioned, it does not fit all circumstances.

I'm sure he is going to be very happy with the ART88 and ART27a. That is one fine combo!
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Thank you RJ for this illuminating (play on words not intended) tale. I have disconnected the Luxman preamp section from my CAV45S2 and the amp is happily performing as it was intended.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Good stuff Paolo mate, just enjoy it as it is. After all, there are many many other options out there in terms of a fine pre-power combination bit the fact that the CAV45-S2 does not have a preamp, is the very essence of simplicity!

It's simplicity at it's finest! Doesn't get any better than that. You'll have to spend a whole lot more to surpass the performance of the CAV45 at every angle... it's not that easy to beat.

Cheers matey, enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:06 am Good stuff Paolo mate, just enjoy it as it is. After all, there are many many other options out there in terms of a fine pre-power combination bit the fact that the CAV45-S2 does not have a preamp, is the very essence of simplicity!

It's simplicity at it's finest! Doesn't get any better than that. You'll have to spend a whole lot more to surpass the performance of the CAV45 at every angle... it's not that easy to beat.

Cheers matey, enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
:D
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agree. This is the way it should be run. Enjoy the tunes.
-admin
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

There's an old song I heard once or twice. Something about "Let It Be...."

Excellent advice which I do think applies here. :)
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

I wrote that song!