Loud popping sound when switching inputs on Premier 18

The PV-1 to now...
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Loud popping sound when switching inputs on Premier 18

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:38 pm
Overhang wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:25 pm Last time (5 years ago) the capacitor cost was $15.
It looks like they only charged $12 for the actual materials and the vast majority of the total cost was the labor and shipping/box.
The labor of 12 quarter hours is their bench fee. If the job takes less time, you still pay it. If it takes more time, you pay in quarter hour increments.

The shipping box is good insurance. If there is a claim on a FEDEX or UPS shipment and you did not use new packaging, they will contest the claim. Same with guitar shipments.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

This stuff is pretty much why I quit owning gear from that era.

It was all going back every few years at increasingly high cost. Krell bills were rarely more than $600, and they did a lot for the money (compared to CJ). But it was still a pain. CJ bills started at $600 and usually went higher.

When I finally started buying gear closer to the current generation, not only did the repairs stop, things really did sound better.

There is nothing wrong with loving something old… but you really can’t say that it’s better than new stuff unless you’ve got new stuff to compare it to.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If history is any guide, you will authorize this expense, and they will put it on the bench. They used to assign the SS gear to their SS guy (not JF).

He would get into it and figure out if it’s just caps, or if there’s more needed.

They will then ask for a final authorization on a full repair. If you go for it, they’ll do the work and guarantee it. If you don’t authorize the full repair, they’ll send it back to you without completing anything beyond the diagnosis and they’ll only charge what you authorized.

At least at that point you will have the full picture. I’ve been to this rodeo several times. If they determine that they can’t repair it due to parts availability, they will probably cut you some slack and let you off the hook for some or all of the bench fee labor.

Of course your case isn’t my old cases, so I’m just sharing history rather than affirming the future.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

What a load of bollocks! If it were me, I wouldn't even bother with these guys. Like I said, the days of Ed & Lew are long gone, welcome to the new world of ... uh? Whatever service.

It was never like this... it's really sad and pathetic.
I'll go over the hills and through the woods to find a skilled tech, and they're out there, it's just a matter of finding them.

The Prem18 is way out of warranty, I really wonder how service is when warranty is in tack. I guess, in that case, you would go through the dealer. I think I'm beginning to realise only now, why Matty didn't want to bother the dealer / plus CJ... might as well find your own way.

Man, I truly hope you get this sorted out because to me, this is absurd! There's really no clear sense of anything, other than looks like you're going to be charged around $600 minimum!

All the best, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Matty’s case was truly disappointing.
Sometimes it’s smart to just go in another direction.