6922 vs 6N30 based preamps

The PV-1 to now...
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: 6922 vs 6N30 based preamps

Post by AnotherJohnson »

For the OP …
Maybe I missed it, but what amp and speakers are you running with the new preamp?
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Joe Appierto wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:49 pm
As far as the types are concerned; 6H30PI and 6N30P, same damn thing!
As I stated in a previous posting you're absolutely right. But maybe something is getting lost in the translation.

The Soviets/Russians produced two different variants on the 6H30/6N30 tube. One was used by the military (the DR variant) and the other was intended for commercial use (the EB variant).

That's it. Nothing more complicated than that.

Maybe I'm missing the point here about smoke coming out of people's ears. Seems kinda ridiculous to me but then what do I know? Just happened to own and use both the EB and DR types. They sounded different to me and I preferred the DR. No big deal.
Joe mate, you're quite right actually and there are subtle differences. In fact I've also come across them and can certainly ascertain the difference.

However, whenever I ask my trusted tube supplier about this, he goes bonkeroo's! So now I just don't ask him and use whatever he recommends.
So far, touch wood! Every single tube I've ordered from him has been in perfect spec, and the sound is superb! Even after all those mods done on the monoblocks, the tubes he supplied were tops! So naturally over time, I trust him now.

On another note though, there were some suppliers whom I purchased from, and every Tube went bad more or less... must have been a bad batch, I don't know. I don't order from them any more, so I just stick to this chap and Watford Valves for the small Mullards M8080's.

Cheers matey, enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:01 pm Transparent have a wide range of price points.

There is a huge step up from Ultra to Reference.

The Reference and higher are calibrated to your specific gear.
I guess if I never had noise in over 12 years I dont have a problem lol.
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

OK so I heard from THE MAN himself and he says that the ART Series has the highest output impedance of any of their preamps and says running the 20 ft RCA is asking for trouble. AND THEN THERE WAS ONE! The ET5!!
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

One of my favorite CJ Preamps is the ACT2S2. It used the 6n30’s

I never paid attention to the tube type but instead enjoyed this preamp for its tremendous tight deep bass and high extension. In the deep bass it is still the best I have heard.

The 6922 based preamps present a different image and micodynamics and I find that addictive. The GATS2 and ART88 are superb.

Pick the preamp based on your sonic impression and not the tube type.

Have fun either way.

Bill
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:19 pm For the OP …
Maybe I missed it, but what amp and speakers are you running with the new preamp?
P12's. Speakers are DIY 12 inch SB acoustics, 5 inch Arum Cantus carbon mid and Seas Tweeter ported tuned to about 37hz, 90db sens.
Using VPI classic 2 with dynavector 20X2L and Art Audio Vinyl reference phono, Auralic Vega DAC, Nuc/Roon Rock
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

whnay1 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:10 pm One of my favorite CJ Preamps is the ACT2S2. It used the 6n30’s

I never paid attention to the tube type but instead enjoyed this preamp for its tremendous tight deep bass and high extension. In the deep bass it is still the best I have heard.

The 6922 based preamps present a different image and micodynamics and I find that addictive. The GATS2 and ART88 are superb.

Pick the preamp based on your sonic impression and not the tube type.

Have fun either way.

Bill
Bill, Jeff shot me an email. He said the ET5 would better suit my setup. He said the ACT would have difficult time with long IC's
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

I used 16’ RCAs with no issues but the et5 is a great preamp