looking to select a CJ preamp for purchase

The PV-1 to now...
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

looking to select a CJ preamp for purchase

Post by jimbones »

Hi I am the proud owner of P12 monoblocks. I do use a MAD M23 (Blasphemy) for the summer months LOL!! I also own an RP7 linestage that I am looking to upgrade. I am confused by the CJ line there is the Premiere (16LS), ET series etc, so I dont know what to look at. My budget is 5 to a little over 5K used. I am patient and willing to wait to get the right one. TIA for recommendations (PS I do not need a phono)
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: looking to select a CJ preamp for purchase

Post by admin »

That's actually a pretty good budget for a preamp.

Do you think you could stretch it up just a little and swing for an ET7s2? That would put you into today's current CJ line and really a great performer.

I have to admit I'm biased as I own the ET7s2. :)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

admin wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:27 pm That's actually a pretty good budget for a preamp.

Do you think you could stretch it up just a little and swing for an ET7s2? That would put you into today's current CJ line and really a great performer.

I have to admit I'm biased as I own the ET7s2. :)

LOL sure spend my money ha ha. Just kidding, I'll try to stick to my budget (as Im retired) but we shall see. I am not averse to buying usedn CJ as it is built to last. I wish they had balanced but I know it is not in their philosophy to have it. I just need a remote with balance control and volume, input select. Also need 2 outputs (I have subs)
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Again, sounds like the ET7s2 would meet your needs. You may be able to bargain down into the $5XXX range.

For Example: https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649 ... -series-2/
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The ET7s2 is certainly a great option, and worth the stretch to $6k if you can get there.

I would be a bit gun shy on that Audiomart ad though. I’d want to vet the seller pretty carefully. Audiomart is like the Wild West. And this seller is already trying to get around the rules with his phone number ploy.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agree with AJ. This ad is a bit high up on the suspicious list. I would not consider it unless it was a local sale and I could demo the unit before the purchase.

There is always an extra risk on the used market and especially with these sites. "Buyer beware."
-admin
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Im also told the ET5 is very good, but to try to get the teflon upgrade
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Definitely an other option that is at your price point.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

When you get right down to the brass tacks, there are fans of every CJ preamp, so I’m sure you’ll find one that you like.

For me, the ET series was ear opening. I moved from a PV11 to an ET3SE at Ralph Spear’s cajoling, and was hooked. Later I moved up to the ET7, and then ET7s2.

I was seriously considering a GAT2 when my course changed.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy whatever you choose. Good luck with the quest.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, how's it going...

Definitely correct, any of those would be fantastic match with the Prem12's, ET7/S2, GAT/S2, going back a bit- ACT2/ S2, CT5 or an ET5. All of these preamps have two pairs of main outs, which you require.

Of course the much older ones as well, ART, Prem17LS, Prem16LS and Prem18LS. Have used all of these in one form or the other in various systems, superb preamps!
The original ART preamp matched with the Premier series top of the line, Prem12 and Prem8A's were a legendary sound. I had them driving the mighty Apogee Diva's, it was truly awesome, still to this day I vividly remember the sound.

The only issues with older gear, specifically preamps, are the ware & tear on parts, caps, resistors, diodes, input gain stage, buffered output stage, tooobs etc. The preamp is quite critical, such that all your source signals pass through it! So it must be in perfect spec to get the very best from your source.

Power amps are just as critical but they can easily be upgraded or modded with the least amount of parts upgrades. A few caps, resistors and tooobs is all that's required as long as the trannies are not overheating and behaving well.

The Prem16LS and 17LS were quite superb with the Prem12's. However, it was the ART and ACT2 that really took these monoblocks towards another dimension. The new ET series preamps are far more neutral sounding than any other CJ preamp in its line. The GAT is one that has the very best in terns of musicality and the infamous golden glow and it's a fantastic unit. The GATS2 is even more neutral, brings out every minute detail from your source, provided your source gear is on par...

For 5grand, you've got quite a few options. If you can listen to any of these first that would be the ultimate test, simply because it's your preference. See how you go and let us know what you decide on.

Cheers, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Jimbones,

I am biased to the ET7V2 too. It is a fantastic preamp and has all your possible connection needs. I was very reluctant to do the change between an ET7 to ET7V2, because when I had both with me, the newer was not broken in, and I could not tell the big difference the V2 has over the V1. The power supply is a totally different design and also the RCA connectors are better quality. Once the ET7V2 is on its fully potential, the overall sound is more organic, more detail, more micro-dynamic, better stage, you name it. It offers more of every thing that the ET7 does. The harmonic texture is more delicate and warmer. I am really in love with it, and I must thank to a great member here, Mr. Another Johnson, who pointed out that I should listen it carefully because he had both preamps and he could tell a difference in favor of the newer model.

You can't go wrong with Conrad Johnson sound. And the unit works as a Swiss very expensive watch. It is a truly jewel to use and of course a listening pleasure.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

question: Is the 16LS (w teflon caps) too old??
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

All caps get old and loose their capacitance potential. Teflon Caps are much sturdier than other type of caps. Trust your ears here. They will tell you the quality sound coming from the LS16. Because I have not heard the one that are offering to you, I can't tell more. Your ears are the final judges, no matter what! Also is your money and your system.

All CJ products have the Conrad Johnson signature sound. The newer models offer a small signal path, making to touching-less the complexity of the audio signal. The LS16 preamp has over 20 years. I asure you that CJ research dept had developed new circuitry design in their new ET series. But this does not means that the LS16 is bad.

Also all depends of your liking. The LS16 has an upgrade model, the MK2 too. Both exhibits quality sound paired with good components. If you liked what you heard, go for it.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

jimbones wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:25 am question: Is the 16LS (w teflon caps) too old??
Some people think it is the pinnacle of CJ’s preamps.

The Teflon caps are supposed to be good for 40 years.

Other parts, like relays, switches, precision resistors … may be hard to source, but resourceful technicians find substitutions.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Roger that captain! 👍

Any of the gear is just as good as the techie who's going to look after it down the line... provided you're intentions are keeping it that long. I was very fortunate to find two excellent chaps, and they're like what you would refer to as "the tube whisperers!"

Cheers, RJ
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:41 am
jimbones wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:25 am question: Is the 16LS (w teflon caps) too old??

Other parts, like relays, switches, precision resistors … may be hard to source, but resourceful technicians find substitutions.
Teflon caps have a very long life, I am concerned about power supply caps that are typically electrolytics.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

jimbones wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:57 pm
AnotherJohnson wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:41 am

Teflon caps have a very long life, I am concerned about power supply caps that are typically electrolytics.
Just plan on replacing them if they’re electrolytics. Or wait until they fail and leak. Are you sure there are electrolytics in that unit? I think in recent decades CJ has moved away from electrolytics, even in power supplies.

Here’s the OM. PS caps are polypropylene and polystyrene.
https://conradjohnson.com/vintage-conra ... -products/

Might need replacing. But won’t make the mess if they fail.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

Hold the phone!! It has been brought to my attention that the ACT series 2 is within my budget!! Ohh the choices Lol!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, in every CJ Premier series amplifiers and above, there are no electrolytic caps any more. They're all polystyrene or polypropylene caps, and on certain models, like the CT5, ACT2 and above, they have included Teflons.

If you can get hold of an ACT2 S2, and make sure it's behaving well (no sudden hissy fits or unwanted noises...) that's a very fine preamp! I had one, and really enjoyed every minute of it, until... it went into a hissy fit. So I fixed it, got a few mods done and sold it to a deserving chap. So far, so good according to him but his Prem12 monoblocks keep blowing fuses. Someone had done the Triode conversion on those amps many years ago and ever since, they've not being stable. Should have gotten that "XS" version done at the CJ factory itself, rather than some third party... not every one techie is that skilled in tube gear.

Oh well, that's another discussion but if you can obtain a well looked after well behaved and trouble free ACT2, that's your preamp. If the price is too good to be true and the seller wants a quick sale... I wouldn't touch it!

All the best, RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

OTOH, even if the ACT2 does behave for a while at least... and you do have access to a top techie who can fix anything & everything, it may be worthwhile looking into. Just be prepared to fork out a few more $$$ on fix-ups. That's just the way it is if you're considering used gear at this level. you never know, and most sellers may not tell you "everything." Other than, "oh! It's a great preamp and works really fine"... until you bring it home and it trips a few circuits! There she goes...

Also, be ready to spend more than just the used price, simply because... and this is a higher level preamp, it's an ACT2! This was CJ's top of the line SOTA at the time, so parts aren't cheap... same goes with the GAT or anything of that level.

If I was very budget conscious and wanted to spend wisely on used gear, I would consider the ET3SE and call it a day.
There are other choices out there and the final decision is yours.
Best, RJ