Any ideas on the Sonographe SG3 turntable?

Spinning CD’s in that DR1 connected to a D/A-2b? Talk about it here.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Any ideas on the Sonographe SG3 turntable?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Great!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tonye wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:26 am I'm in luck. Turns out that when my order got placed there was ONE available Karousel available. So I won't have to wait 10 to 12 weeks for the next production batch.
Nice! It seems like a lot of audio hardware is constantly on back order these days. Glad you got in on time.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

We received the Karousel... I took a look at it... handled it -with gloves-.

It is spectacular. The manufacturing quality is magnificent... made in Scotland. It's the bearing, the sub platter, springs (suspension) and few other bits. Installing it requires taking the whole thing apart, which makes sense.

How can they keep the price that "low". I mean, it's not cheap, but I'm used to handling industrial hardware, made to such standards, and the prices are much higher.

Ssssh... don't tell Linn.

Table should be back next week.

Now, it's gonna be time to save up for the Lingo 4 upgrade.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I agree that Linn is providing good value for the £.

Their stuff seems expensive until you start noticing what their legitimate competitors charge. Linn is unrivaled for excellence in engineering, manufacturing, and most importantly, musical performance.

Can’t wait for you to get it back.
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

I AM SHELL SHOCKED

The sound, the noise floor is like gone subterranean..

Even playing old, early 70s LPs that I've had since then.... the noise is negligible. The notes come out of the darkness... and the speed, the SPEED of the notes, the leading edge is incredible. I would have not believed it... but the bearing has a HUGE impact not only on the noise level ( expected ) but on the transients!

Example... I got an early 70s pressing of Traffic's John Barleycorn.

In the song, John Barleycorn Must Die, the crash cymbal appears five times, on the left speaker... my previous set up was already truly realistic, but now, NOW... it IS realistic and it there NO noise around it. You can clearly hear it on its own, in its own space a bit back. Then you got the guitar playing rythmn... now this is the one or two tops songs of my 4000 LP and 1200 Tidal download collections.... I know this song by heart, this is my old LP, kept meticulously cleaned and vacuumed... yet, I've never heard some of those details I heard today. I guess they were lost in the noise before.

Those of us who are familiar with the sound of real instruments know what I mean... some instruments are explosive... that old 50 year old record sounds like that now.

Yep.. time to save for a Lingo 4.. and to change the tonearm wiring to the latest...

Conrad Johnson ought to learn from Linn Sondek.... they likely make more money from upgrades than from new sales. THAT builds brand loyalty.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Glad you like it.

CJ and Linn are literally two orders of magnitude apart.

And the only product Linn support at this level is the LP12, although they do offer occasional upgrades and accommodations to existing customers.

Upgrading electronics isn’t really a viable course beyond a couple of generations. ARC does it, and curmudgeonly know it alls still whine.
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

Like?

I'm taking that turntable to my afterlife.

;-)