Premiere 17ls from pv10a

The PV-1 to now...
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Premiere 17ls from pv10a

Post by goonybird »

While happy with my pv10a it was only a stop gap.
Picked up a premiere 17ls as more fitting to go with my ev1 and premier 12 monoblocks.
With the ev1 into phono sound schiit. No top and muffled distorted. Video in from Avr gave a sound that is ok but nothing special.
I feel i have made a mistake.
Unit from 1 owner and checked nothing been messed with before use.
Have to try ev1 into different input like cd as i think phono not been used for years and suspect dodgy relay? Original genelex 6922 tubes.
Also niggling is gold finish is diffent shade to rest of system :(
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Premiere 17ls from pv10a

Post by AnotherJohnson »

goonybird wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:18 am Have to try ev1 into different input like cd as i think phono not been used for years and suspect dodgy relay? Original genelex 6922 tubes.
Also niggling is gold finish is diffent shade to rest of system
Old units.

Clean input and output jacks for starters. Remove ac power. Clean by plugging and unplugging a few times. Might use DeOxit.

If these are the original tubes, buy a new tube set. Or at least R&R the old set once or twice to clean the pins.

The anodized gold finish ages and is affected by where the unit lives. A system bought new and kept in one place ages together. Components bought later from different sources have different histories.

You could have other issues in play. Even plastic caps change or fail. But the contact cleaning and tube replacement are both low hanging fruit that you can address without professional help.

Don’t forget the lethal voltages that you could encounter if you remove casework. Don’t remove cover unless you are qualified. Best to have local CJ dealer address issues.

Good luck.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Post by goonybird »

Hi I am competant with tube amps except the time a Radford amp with 1 kv rail threw me across the room🤪
Starting to sound better warmed up on cd input, but still sounds top end dull. Notice review shows increased hf falloff with increased volume.
Forgot inputs might be dirty from lack of use. Thanks
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, correct advice from AJ regarding Tube replacements...
If there's no top end, HF extension, and muffled mids with slight distortion, that's usually aging tubes. These tubes could well be over a decade old or even older. A full replacement set will bring the preamp back to life, that's the beauty of tubes!

As far as the Gold/ champaign coloured faceplate is concerned, it does fade over time into a sort of near gold to silver finish. My monoblocks are of one shade, the preamp is just slightly more golden and the phono-preamp is of a totally different shade. It's the brightest of the champaign gold color simply because it's the newest piece in the system!

A while ago, CJ HQ used to stock faceplates for specific gear and did offer to customers direct. Worth asking Jeff if you were keen on it... otherwise I wouldn't bother. It doesn't affect the sound, just the look. Just close your eyes whiles listening to music...

BTW, nice find on the Prem 17LS, and it should have a fantastic level of control and drive, especially partnered with your Prem12's. If it's not sounding that great compared to your PV10 then that's more or less a tube issue.

Comparing the two, between the Prem 17LS and a PV10AL, there's just no comparison. The Prem 17LS is in another league! So get those tubes checked!
Once you have it up to spec, only then you'll realise its true potential.

So, no you didn't make a mistake... just requires a bit of service and TLC.
Woof! RJ
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Post by goonybird »

Thanks for helpful replies.
Turns out to be a case of old age gitness
When swapping out my mm goldring 1020, used for testing the pv10a before selling, and fitting my mc art 9 i had forgotton to change tracking force so was tracking at about 5g
All good now, and starting to sound better. More holographic than pv10a
But for the money a pv10a is one helluva bargain.