CJ service

The PV-1 to now...
kzhtoo
Frequent User
Frequent User

CJ service

Post by kzhtoo »

It seems my ET7-S2 has some sort of noise issue. Changed to new tube 3 different times thinking it was tube issue. But issue remains.

Called CJ many times in 2 weeks (probably around 20 times). Not a single time answered. Fill in online contact form and sent, not returned either. Anyone knows what’s going on?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ service

Post by admin »

I'm also an owner of the ET7-S2. Have you tried to isolate the unit to make sure it's not a source/amp/speaker issue?

Also, what kind of noise is it? Does it go up/down with volume changes? What frequency?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

It's Saturday or should I say Sunday morning... the CJ crew have either gone fishing or they're watching the tennis (Aus Open). Great doubles final btw and interesting men's final in the evening, Serb thunder vs Greek lightning, a good match up!

Anyway, getting back to your question on why CJ is not answering the phone nor replying to your email... well that's the new CJ for you. They just don't have the resources as they used to. Times have changed and so has their service. You'll be better off trying to contact your dealer. Also if you're dealer had a fully certified techie on board, they'll be able to help you with your ET7S2 or any other gear you've bought from them.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to contact CJ directly unless of course you purchased the ET7S2 directly from them... which I'm thinking you didn't... 🤔

Best advice, I would contact your CJ dealer / importer, and if the unit is still under warranty, have them deal with it.
CJ gear is not complicated nor is it highly advanced, their circuits are quite simple and any qualified or skilled electronics techie will be able to help you. That's where I would go for assistance.

BTW, what sort of noise is the ET7S2 making? You didn't really specify the type of noise... hiss, hum, burp, farts...???
Many of our CJO members have owned various types of CJ gear over decades... so if you specify the type of noise, I'm sure one of us will be able to help!

All the best, RJ
kzhtoo
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by kzhtoo »

The nature of the noise is hiss, but not constant, although periodic in every 30s or so. But sometimes it is quiet for a couple of minutes.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Hiss would be a small tube as a rule, but you say you’ve tried three. And you say it is intermittent. If at least one of them was of known low noise, then the next place to look would be a cold solder joint or a bad tube socket since these can vary their noise contribution with thermal expansion and contraction.

I’d suggest reseating the tube, but you’ve already done that in your tube trials.

Next place to look is variable RFI in your room. Florescent lights, noisy dimmer?

As for CJ and their phone, or their lack of attention to email, I guess the excuse is that it’s really just one wizard behind the curtain, and sometimes he gets busy.

I’ve been lucky (some might say) in that I’ve never had to wait more than a few days for a response. But I know others have not had such good luck.

If you bought it from a dealer, I’d definitely take it up with him. If you bought it from a private seller, you might still contact a dealer for guidance in trouble shooting.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

kzhtoo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:02 pm It seems my ET7-S2 has some sort of noise issue. Changed to new tube 3 different times thinking it was tube issue. But issue remains.

Called CJ many times in 2 weeks (probably around 20 times). Not a single time answered. Fill in online contact form and sent, not returned either. Anyone knows what’s going on?
Hola,
Can you explain the type of noise you have in the ET-7AS2? Better, can you do a recording with the phone and place it here? Is the noise volume dependent? In other words, if you bring down the volume, the noise diminish?

We are here to help.

ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When I hear "hiss", I think of high frequency noise. Just to confirm, it's not a 60 hz "hum", correct?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

kzhtoo wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:58 pm The nature of the noise is hiss, but not constant, although periodic in every 30s or so. But sometimes it is quiet for a couple of minutes.
As you can see, this was his description.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

If it's a hiss then that's definitely a tooob.
Although the owner has replaced the tubes three times... this could also be that particular batch of tooobs is no good!

I've had similar issues on an ET5, an ACT2 and on my CT5. According to my trusted CJ techie, his last comment regarding this very phenomenon was:

CJ's circuits are quite simple, such that they are designed upon the Class A circuit, which utilises high quality parts with very little tolerances for anything and rely heavily on the tubes in that circuit. So if a tube is noisy, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad tube. It's just that on this particular Class A circuit, it's noisy!

The idea is to find a tube that's not noisy! Hence, this can become tedious since you have to then purchase in batches or matched pairs for extremely low microphonics and near perfect gain... eventually finding the perfect tube. Once you've found that golden tube and it's dead quiet, no hiss, no fits or sputtering, just leave it in there!

Those were his words of wisdom and it's absolutely true!

The thing is, not many owners would go that extra mile to source the perfect tube/s... let alone spend extra on matched sets. However, at the end of the day, if you really want a very quiet tube, you have to go the extra effort in finding the right one or matched set of tubes. Afterall, it's worth it! I certainly think so.

With the tube that was noisy, place it in another type of preamp and it's quiet as! I witnessed this myself when I took all six of my noisy 6922's (GGL's) to him, and they tested fine when placed in his very rare collectors item Sonic Frontiers preamp, it worked perfectly! However, on the CJ gear it hissed... intermittently as described by the OP.

When most preamp tubes fail or are nearing failure, the hiss and sputtering will be constant, such that it will be unlistenable. They also display white flashes inside the glass envelope and can still sound ok but they will have a hissy fit. This is definitely a bad tooob and must be replaced immediately. If it's an intermittent problem... that's just a quirky batch, not necessarily a bad thing but definitely a naughty tooob.

If you think that you did enough work / effort by trying out 3 tubes and they all made the same hiss... hence you don't want to go any further with tubes... that's fair enough. Therefore, if you feel that the unit must be looked at, suspecting something else then in that case either contact your dealer or get hold of a qualified techie, they'll be able to figure it out.

*Check on warranty though just to make sure you don't void anything or upset the Apple cart...*

Hope that helps! Best, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

kzhtoo wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:58 pm The nature of the noise is hiss, but not constant, although periodic in every 30s or so. But sometimes it is quiet for a couple of minutes.
Hissing is always related with a small signal tube. Even a brand new tube could be noisy. Is the hissing noise on both channels?
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Robbo mate, how's it been at your end? Trust you are enjoying those fine tunes with the ET7S2, Classic 120se and the CLX's!
I'm certainly enjoying mine as well and I think I've reached my limit! Ah, those famous words...

Regarding this hiss from the OP (kzhtoo) not very much is being mentioned... is the hiss coming from the unit itself? hiss from speakers? hiss from the ET7S2 that is causing an intermittent problem on which channels? one or both?...
we need more info!
Very little is given, so we assume a lot of things and we can only assist in so much, as per the info given by the OP.

We're here to help but I feel that the OP doesn't really appreciate all our efforts in our sincere replies...
he/she is rather interested in getting in contact with CJ HQ and wants to know why their service is crappy... hence the question in the original post "anyone knows what's going on?"

Here we are trying to diagnose the so called hiss problem with the ET7S2, with the very little info provided... I don't see the point. The original issue here is hiss & CJ's service, that's the bottom line, and none of us can help. Unfortunately that's how I see it.

So with that said, I'm out! All the best to the OP, sincerely hope it goes well.
RJ
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

Folks,

I spoke to Jeff at CJ and brought to his attention the angst over calls not being returned.

He said the voice mail instructs people to go to the web site and fill out the contact form and chose, "New product, Service, or order tubes/cartons."

He said if people still leave a VM it is not set up to answer them but if using the contact form he will get back to you.

He said if you do an email direct it won't fall into the call back bucket.

These are Jeff's words.

I am relaying this to you all to try to help get your issues resolved as I have been a little frustrated to.

I hope this helps all of you great CJ owners.

Take care,

Bill Nay
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

kzhtoo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:02 pm Called CJ many times in 2 weeks (probably around 20 times). Not a single time answered. Fill in online contact form and sent, not returned either. Anyone knows what’s going on?
Apparently the online form could be more reliable too.

The problem is that there is only one wizard behind the curtain.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

It is up to them to manage the link and returned calls/emails.

So sorry to see this happen.
Sephiam
Regular
Regular

Post by Sephiam »

I recently purchased a CAV 45-S2 and had a question or two. Very quick and comprehensive respone from CJ.
kzhtoo
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by kzhtoo »

Filled in the online form few days ago and no response either.

Hiss is coming from both speakers and intermittent. If I really try, I can get by for watching tv, but music is impossible to ignore as it’s quite frequent. The 3 tubes I tried are all new from Upscale from “Kevin’s stack” with cryo treated. TBH gold lion tube is magic with ET7-S2 in my system but the hiss is very frustrating. Even more frustrating is service. I bought from private seller.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

The hiss is likely a tube. Small chance it is a plate resistor but in almost all cases it is the tube. Sounds strange that a high end tube would do it.

I had 4 ET7S2's and they were all dead quiet. However, they seem to go through tubes quicker than I thought they should.

The Gold Lions sound great but are not the most durable.

I would contact 2020Evolution. They have more than $150K worth of tubes and they have one (I forget the brand) they recommend for the ET Series.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

Contact Jay at jay@2020evo.com
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

kzhtoo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:58 am Filled in the online form few days ago and no response either.

Hiss is coming from both speakers and intermittent. If I really try, I can get by for watching tv, but music is impossible to ignore as it’s quite frequent. The 3 tubes I tried are all new from Upscale from “Kevin’s stack” with cryo treated. TBH gold lion tube is magic with ET7-S2 in my system but the hiss is very frustrating. Even more frustrating is service. I bought from private seller.
Kevin does not seem sensitive to hiss. His ears may not be golden… I honestly don’t think his hearing is that great from many of the comments I see him make about gear.

I’ve heard this complaint about Kevin’s Stash tubes before. They have other good qualities that Kevin values more than lack of hiss. That may be where your trouble lies.

My preference at Upscale is platinum, no cryo, EH 6922.

Also, CJ is not likely to field your call if the problem is likely a small tube that you did not buy from CJ. The last 6922 equivalents I bought from CJ cost me $120 each. I bought them as a good will gesture after they’d helped me do some troubleshooting over email.

I’ve had quick response to my on-line form inquiries, but I’ve bought a lot of gear directly from CJ or their authorized dealers.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

I loved my ET7S2's and so do my customers.

The issue of tubes is a sensitive one. That EH6922 sounds like a good choice too.