Hello from Paris and a question

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Hello from Paris and a question

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah! That was my going to be my best sincere advice as well! Just leave the CJ and Souns Faber system alone please... and get one of those wireless JBL Bluetooth, green tooth, and yellow tooth gadgets where they can connect their iPhone tunes willy nilly to anything they want and blast the heck out of it!

Not touching the CJ gear please... that's far too valuable and far too highend for wireless stuff. But then, as I read the posts, it sounds like Tony from Paris, actually likes the idea of streaming... and so that wireless technology bug of playing tunes has hit his curiosity! So, it's not just the kids but also big T himself whoa after the stream... ah!

In that case, I'm out! As y'all know, I'm not a fan of streaming nor anything of that sort. Just prefer analog rig or highend digital gear where you can actually playback something, like high quality recordings on CD, SACD and vinyl. I guess the future is in digital and in time to come, the quality of streaming will improve but I sincerely believe the analog rig will never die. It's just pure music!

BTW, the wifey and kiddo are due for Paris in Feb mid... whiles I'll be in Spore checking out the ART108A's, Jadis and VTL gear on the Alsyvox, Diptyque panels and Genesis systems. Good stuff!

Cheers to Pari!
RJ
Noventa98
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Noventa98 »

I get your point Big Dog and I have to say that I don't expect too much in terms of quality from the streamer.

However, I don't mind using some streaming services or NAS/USB attached sources to discover new classical recordings with my musically very critical nephews. It is always a pleasure to get together and have them introducing me to new artists and recordings. A few years back I used to be quite current on the classical musical scene, but now I am a bit outdated. I am sure I will get to listen their recordings sooner or later too.

Tonight I will be attending jointly with my flute playing nephew a master class by the first principal flute of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Emmanuel Pahud: the one whom my nephew would like to replace in a few years. Good luck with that!
Noventa98
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Noventa98 »

admin wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:04 am The advantage of the powernode is that it's basically a streamer, preamp, and amp all in one package. This would be a good option for a 2nd inexpensive system. Not a substitute for your current gear. If wanting to add streaming to the current system, you would want the regular node (N130).
Maybe the Powernode (edge?) could be n interesting choice and it would give me the flexibility of using it as a streamer in my hifi and streamer+amp connected to passive or active speakers when I want to spare my system. Or would that be a no go and I should only use the regular node?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I believe the powernode (either regular or edge) really is not designed to output to other devices. I think the output is limited to the speaker terminals (but you may want to double check). Whereas the regular node has both analog and digital outputs designed to connect to a preamp or DAC. So I think the output is the limiting factor in terms of using these devices.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Noventa98
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Noventa98 »

admin wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:17 pm I believe the powernode (either regular or edge) really is not designed to output to other devices. I think the output is limited to the speaker terminals (but you may want to double check). Whereas the regular node has both analog and digital outputs designed to connect to a preamp or DAC. So I think the output is the limiting factor in terms of using these devices.
Confirmed, you're right, the Powernode is not suitable as a streamer in a Hi-Fi set-up.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I had been thinking of this

https://www.bluesound.com/products/pulse/

as opposed to the Node or power node.

But from what you described as the need, perhaps it is too simple.

We have a Denon Home 350 in the kitchen, and I think the concept is similar. My wife absolutely loves it.

BluOS does seem more capable than HEOS, but HEOS seems simpler. HEOS allows the use of the services in the attached images (from a HEOS screen shot).
B6BE441C-B5D1-4E8B-AFE6-F06804518265.png
B6BE441C-B5D1-4E8B-AFE6-F06804518265.png (405.84 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
523D36A2-A36F-424E-802A-17F9EDF3AED4.png
523D36A2-A36F-424E-802A-17F9EDF3AED4.png (371.08 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
No QoBuz, but any phone with the free HEOS app can play music.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Noventa98
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Noventa98 »

Thanks. I had been looking at the Denon too.

I actually think that a separate solution will be needed for high volume play (party etc) in order to spare the hifi chain altogether. That's why I was considering also the Powernode with the idea of connecting a pair of different loudspeakers when needed. But the device is not really adapted to the hifi setup, so I believe I will have two separate systems: a) the node (plus eventually a better DAC down the line) to stream some high quality recordings through my CJ system and b) another audio system which I can easily move around in my home for more high volume play and which can do streaming and has a amplifier (like the powernode or another similar all in one system).
Noventa98
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Noventa98 »

Would a device with a choice of variable or fixed output like the Advance Paris My Connect 60 be an option? Could it be integrated in the chain and have a fixed output to my the CJ preamplifier and Speaker cables or bluetooth to a separate set of speakers?

https://www.advanceparis.com/en/produit/myconnect-60/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's an interesting device. It certainly does do just about everything. My only concern would be the way they implement the controller app. I don't really see information on it on the website and that is something I would definitely want to know prior to buying. As I've said before, almost all your interaction with these devices will be via the phone app so you want to make sure you get something that is functional, reliable, and will be supported for years to come.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Noventa98
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Noventa98 »

Yes I agree, I believe their app is not among the best ones in the store: I have to check how this would work.

On a technical note: in your opinion, would the fixed output bypass the ampli section of the device (or it doesn't matter in this case)?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Noventa98 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:52 pm On a technical note: in your opinion, would the fixed output bypass the ampli section of the device (or it doesn't matter in this case)?
Yes, the RCA outs should be line level outputs that you can connect to a preamp and bypass the amplifier in the Myconnect 60's. If you do plan to use it as a digital source only, you may want to confirm that it can be safely run without speakers connected to the terminals.

I went to the website but I don't see any manual to download so I it's hard to say exactly how they have it set up and whether you can manually turn off the amplifier section. The device looks nice, but I would definitely get answers to these questions first, and again, I think the controller app should be good quality or you are going to have a bad time. I think the number one complaint with streamers in general is people not liking the controller apps. So that should be a big factor in your purchase decision (whichever streamer you go with).
-admin
Noventa98
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Noventa98 »

Thanks: sounds promising but I am aware about the controller issue. One thing I don't get is why everyone wants to create its own app and not rely on a third party app which could be either in under its own brand or as a white label.

Here is the manual: it says that the choice of fixed or variable output can be made via the system settings menu.
Attachments
MyConnect-60-QuickStart-Fr-En-De-It.pdf
(2.02 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So this uses the "Advance Playstream" app for it's controller app. I'm not saying anything "bad" about it as I have not tried it but it has a rating of 2.8 and has not been updated in a year and half. So again, the hardware looks good, but the software should be vetted.
-admin
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

admin wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:03 pm I used have Comcast for a time but ultimately cancelled them as I got tired of them increasing the prices, and then I had to call and "bargain" it down to some more reasonable amount, then repeat the process a year later (meanwhile always increasing to some degree). We switched to Consolidated Communications (the other option in town) and haven't had any major issues. It's been the same price ($50 for 250 mpbs service).
Off-topic, I know, but I had the same issue. I liked our cable Internet provider (Wide Open West), but several months apart, they'd be jacking the rate up higher, then I'd have to deal with an offshore call center to try and finagle my price back down to where it should be. Other than that, it was rare we ever had issues, and actual speeds were about 10% higher than advertised, or maybe a few percent less during times of heavier traffic.

I finally switched over to AT&T Fiber. My 300/300 service is $55/month, and like my ADSL connection I had many years ago, the price stays the same. I lost a little inbound speed (WOW was 500/50), but having 300 mpbs outbound has made file transfers so much better, and YouTube videos upload within seconds. I could go to 500/500 for $65/month or 1G/1G for $80/month. With 300/300 working so well for us, I have no incentive to change. And I'm also happy to report that speeds actually check out to nearly 400/400, and service hasn't failed us yet.

My ordeal with trying to order Xfinity (Comcast) is a novel-length ordeal I'll spare everyone from. 😁
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
Noventa98
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Noventa98 »

Moving on with my research of a good solution to include in my CJ setup. I am not fully convinced about the the value proposition of the Bluesound and stil considering the Wiim Pro. Things have been evolving quite rapidly there and the latest reviews of the app on android are quite enthusiastic. Don’t know when it will become available in Europe though.Hopefully it will ship in February. On the DAC side I was surprised about the quantity of devices that hit the market every week. I may decide either to test a transparent inexpensive dac at about 500$ SMSL M500 mrkIII or jump to a more professional one like the RME ADi-2 DAC FS which retails for about 1200$. Any feedback on these in connection with CJ or other high end tube gear would be appreciated.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't personally know either the SMSL or RME gear. They seemed to be perhaps focused more on the headphone amp side of things but they both seem to have RCA outs. If going with either, I would just make sure that those RCA outs are pure line level outputs and not volume controlled.
-admin
Noventa98
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Noventa98 »

Thanks for your advice. Good point, I checked and both have the option of a line out mode to feed a preamp.

I am gong for the RME, which is a professional grade DAC. Doing my research, I learned that RME is very well known among audio professionals and its devices can be found in many recording studios. The RME ADC-2 DAC FS is a derivative of one of their pro models. https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html.

It is on the expensive side, but it retains its value over time (contrary to other manufacturers who throw out one DAC per week). Very transparent measurements, no noise and so on. Headphone amp is a plus. I could also feed directly my CR Premier 140 power amp.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you plan to use the headphone amp then I think that is a really good option and makes a lot of sense.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you were not looking specifically at dedicated DACs only? Or did you want a headphone amp as well with volume control and the extras?
-admin
Noventa98
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Noventa98 »

Initially I was looking for a pure DAC. While reviewing available devices, I noticed that they come with different flavours and features and thought that some could be useful in current (headphone) or future setups.