Phono Stage Experience

The PV-1 to now...
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Phono Stage Experience

Post by mstrshikadance »

Morning!

There is currently a Premier 15 Phono stage for around ~ $2000 and a TEA2SE High Gain for sale as well.

I have had my eye out for an affordable CJ Phono stage and just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on both models.

thanks!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Phono Stage Experience

Post by AnotherJohnson »

TEA2SE is a solid choice and can stay with your system for a long time.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The TEA2SE HG, if it’s not been modified, should have 54 dB of gain. The P15 about 53, so not much difference.

They both have internal dip switches to allow to choose from a handful of discrete resistive loads to match typical MC cartridges, or a 47kOhm MM (probably too much gain for this to be useful).

TEA2SE is a current model. P15 was released 27 years ago.

In my experience CJ has been willing to do the mods to match a specific cartridge load or gain target, per your request. They would do this for either one.

Can you listen to either before you commit?

If it were me, and it was at one time, I’d choose the TEA2, and I did.
petertg
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by petertg »

I have owned both the TEA2SE HG and Pr 15v2 and the latter sounded better in every way. More resolution and detail, better sound stage, etc. Of course it’s a vintage product, so that might be a consideration.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

The gain on the TEA2SE HG version is 55dB. I'm still using mine with outstanding performance, although I've had it upgraded to the Max version. The sole purpose of doing that was to accommodate low output mc carts, such that my modded max version has a step up tranny just before the main outs... so it's able to drive low output carts.

However, that was only because I wanted to try out a few carts from Sound Smith, Koetsu and Sumiko. Although quite good and in certain cases tops, I ended up with the Benz Micro Glider SM series cart. Just seems to prefer the current Rega Planar 8 rig.

Perhaps those Koetsu and Sound Smith carts may perform better on more lofty TT rigs compared to my humble Rega outfit but I'm not interested in changing out the TT rig at this stage. Just enjoying the music!

Cheers, RJ
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by mstrshikadance »

Thank you all for the replies. The TEA2SE is priced very well so I may pull the trigger. Also considering sending in my PV15 to CJ for them to install a phono card. Cost is $1,500 which is reasonable and I would have much less clutter and cables on my rack.

Doubt the phono card would sound as good as the TEA2SE.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. Congrats on the purchase. You will definitely have to let us know how you like the TEA2SE, I think you will be very happy. The PV15 is also a very nice machine. They will be synergistic if you decide to go with both.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

petertg wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:57 pm I have owned both the TEA2SE HG and Pr 15v2 and the latter sounded better in every way. More resolution and detail, better sound stage, etc. Of course it’s a vintage product, so that might be a consideration.
You should have your TEA2SE checked. Old or rolled tubes would be the first guess.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, in fact I was thinking the same thing, such that:
resolution, detail, better soundstage etc., mentions that the Pr15v2 sounded better in "every way"...

Along those lines, of Resolution, detail and soundstage, the TEA2SE is miles ahead of the previous Premier series but then again perhaps this owner just prefers the Premier 15v2. That goes to show the so called Golden glow in preference over the more refined, detailed and more neutral sounding gear of CJ's newer versions.

If the resolution, detail and soundstage are lacking in the TEA2SE then it's definitely time for a tube change (all 3 tubes!l. The TEA2SE is anything BUT lacking! I have one right in front of me, and I absolutely love it! Nothing's lacking at all, and it surpasses an awful lot of other pricey phono-preamps in its class. The TEA1 series 3 is even better and can easily compete with the very best out there.

It's all about getting the gain structure right- from Cartridge output to phono-preamp gain to main preamp gain and Input sensitivity of power amplifiers plus efficiency of speakers has to all match and gell well. Only once this synergy is formed and carefully structured will it sound truly tops! Any one of these elements missing or slightly off... the phonostage is never going to sound right.

Or like I said, peterlg just prefers the Pr15v2, that's great to know!

Cheers, RJ
petertg
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by petertg »

Have you ever had the chance to hear both side by side? If so you might be surprised! Yes they were both in perfect working order with new tubes.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I think we can chalk it up to personal preference.

I don’t own either one today. But I remember them well.

Perhaps there is some synergy in your system for the vintage unit. There’s a guy who claims the phono section in his PV11 is the best CJ’s ever produced. Go figure.

It’s nice to have choices. We don’t all hear the same.