Cabasse Pearl and other one box solutions

Discuss listening room acoustics, treatments, building home theater rooms, and proper placement of your Speakers.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Cabasse Pearl and other one box solutions

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’m wondering if something like a pair of Cabasse Pearls might be a solution for some of the folks who are struggling with conventional systems in small rooms.

Any experiences to report?
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cabasse Pearl and other one box solutions

Post by admin »

Hmmm.... If you are looking for a decretive piece these are interesting, but I would stay away if sound quality vs price is important. Not a big fan of tiny self powered speakers, less so when they start cramming a bunch of inputs in it, usb, toslink, ethernet, bluetooth, then it's an onboard DAC.

I can see something like this in an office where you want better quality than a $300 all-in-one walmart speaker or Bose solution, maybe make a little fashion/interior design statement with minimal wires.

At 6,000 euros, they better sound darn good as there are plenty of options at that price point. Definitely not for me but I will admit they look "cool."
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

These have over 1000 Watts rms power and a 10” woofer. Drivers are concentric like your speakers you mentioned the other day.

Probably built in China, but I don’t know.

Reviews I’ve seen have not put them in the tiny and bad category.

They weigh 40 pounds each. They are not the usual junk. Cabasse is an old and storied French company.

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/cabas ... s=e&_v=1.0
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articl ... udspeaker/

Neil Gader (TAS) views of its smaller brother, the Pearl Akoya

And HiFi News on the bigger brother, Pearl Pelegrina

https://www.hifinews.com/content/cabass ... oudspeaker
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I don’t want a pair … but my room is big enough for a conventional system.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maybe I shouldn't judge? I've just never heard these all in one small speakers sound as good as separates. Yes, it has a 10" woofer but it's rear firing so I really wonder what would happen when you put into a corner or small shelf space (which is why we are discussing them).

Pricewise I think they can also make sense if you don't want to buy a CD player, turntable, phono preamp, preamp, amp and all the high end cabling. But if you want the latter, then I just don't see why you would want an all-in-one solution.

I can totally see these speakers in a work office setting or a modern apartment where form over function trumps other factors.

I have to admit that I am a hypocrite as I do myself use an all in one speaker solution. My Amazon echo dot's in the household sometimes play music while I'm in the shower or getting dressed in the morning. Admittedly, they do sound terrible (compared to a high end setup), but the last one I bought was only $15!
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

https://blog.son-video.com/en/2018/11/r ... the-pearl/

This guy says they’re built in France.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:08 pm Maybe I shouldn't judge? I've just never heard these all in one small speakers sound as good as separates. Yes, it has a 10" woofer but it's rear firing so I really wonder what would happen when you put into a corner or small shelf space (which is why we are discussing them).

Pricewise I think they can also make sense if you don't want to buy a CD player, turntable, phono preamp, preamp, amp and all the high end cabling. But if you want the latter, then I just don't see why you would want an all-in-one solution.

I can totally see these speakers in a work office setting or a modern apartment where form over function trumps other factors.

I have to admit that I am a hypocrite as I do myself use an all in one speaker solution. My Amazon echo dot's in the household sometimes play music while I'm in the shower or getting dressed in the morning. Admittedly, they do sound terrible (compared to a high end setup), but the last one I bought was only $15!
You do not need them. You are not operating in a 10’x10’ room.

If the separates already sound lousy, is The Pearl a viable alternative? Not for me, or for you … but maybe for someone having trouble with a conventional set up in a place that’s too small.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The build quality looks top notch so I don't think anybody would say they look cheap. It's a niche product. That's ok, we need those as well.

It really is a good question whether these offer some advantage in a limited space. As I mentioned before, a rear firing woofer can present some challenges. On the plus side, it has built in DSP so you really have the ability to manipulate the sound output. It definitely offers a lot for such a small package. No doubt about that.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I have no opinion except that the Pearl line looks unique and the build quality looks high. Cabasse has been making speakers for over 70 years, so it’s not a fly by night $15 product.

I’m just curious if anyone has tried them.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Regarding rear firing woofers, I’m generally not a fan either, but if properly designed, the lack of bass directionality will mitigate some problems. Certainly it’s like having a built in subwoofer.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A little off topic but Cabasse also has a really nice line of traditional bookshelf speakers as well. They have a wide range of speaker types in general.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:37 pm A little off topic but Cabasse also has a really nice line of traditional bookshelf speakers as well. They have a wide range of speaker types in general.
Not off topic. I wonder if one of those would help these small room situations. Linn, KEF and others have been Working this problem. European rooms are generally smaller than ours.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The answer from darko.audio:

“Visually they suit larger rooms, in my space the look dominated. That they worked for me sonically is probably down to my room’s high ceilings. Cabasse recommends rooms of 35m² or more.

We could argue for days whether or not the Pearls are audiophile speakers – and what’s in a label – but they are good. They don’t major on refinement, air or delicacy. Theirs is an energetic sound that grabs your attention and encourages you to play track after track.”

So … sounds like not a good small room solution.

😢
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

35m2 is 377 sq freedom units for those on this side of the pond. Yeah, not a small room by any means. But it does have DSP so maybe there is some wiggle room here (at least more than traditional speakers).
-admin