MiniDSP & EPL

Do It Yourself - everything from building your own hardware to room
treatments.
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

MiniDSP & EPL

Post by mstrshikadance »

Does anyone have any experience using a MiniDSP for DIrac Live with the EPL in/out in any preamp?

This seems like the best method to implement Dirac Live so that I can turn it on and off depending on my preference.

I will eventually purchase a MiniDSP Flex all digital with the intention of putting it in front of my DAC to minimize the D/A - A/D conversions, but for now my unit does not have digital outputs.

Any other implementation suggestions?

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MiniDSP & EPL

Post by admin »

Don't have the miniDSP but I have used their calibration mics for audio setups. They are a solid company making good products.

I guess my question is: What are you trying to achieve?

Dirac Live is like any other calibration software that has its pros and cons. I think it is fine to use as a starting point but your ears are the final judge. My approach is to use calibration and then adjust to ear.

Also, keep in mind that if you do digital signal adjustment prior to your DAC, you are pretty much negating the DAC as you have already changed the signal and the miniDSP is it's own DAC. So pretty much running the signal through two DACs with the first one manipulating the signal.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You may want to watch this. It's Paul McGowan's (from PS Audio) view on Dirac. I pretty much agree with him (ie that this stuff is for hometheater but not ideal for 2 channel),... but everybody has their own opinion.

https://youtu.be/NDyi5bkR-z0
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

I attended a presentation at an audio show by Bob Hodas, who runs a business tuning studios and listening rooms. He had some solid advice. Essentially, placing your speakers and listening in the correct places is a first step, room treatments second, and only some mild EQ if it's absolutely needed (and at the time, I believe he mentioned that his company built a custom EQ box tuned for the specific application.

Short version: fix the positioning and the room first, then use electronics as a last resort if needed.

One other thing he points out, which is very valid and something to consider. If you tune a room with a microphone, you are tuning it for only one place in the room. Anywhere else, the frequency response will be skewed, either slightly or by a lot, depending on where in the room you sit. In addition, automatic EQ will boost the bass if it is deficient at the microphone, which could cause someone to overdrive their amplifier(s).

Bob's site has a lot of resources to read through.

http://www.bobhodas.com/educational-resources.php
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Wildcat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:23 pm
Short version: fix the positioning and the room first, then use electronics as a last resort if needed.
That’s for SURE!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wildcat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:23 pm Short version: fix the positioning and the room first, then use electronics as a last resort if needed.
100% agree. This is my philosophy on the matter as well.
-admin