Pv10 Pv12 dilemma

The PV-1 to now...
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Pv10 Pv12 dilemma

Post by goonybird »

System is Premier 12 power amps with pv10 preamp. Pv10 (phono) was bought as a starter and then allow me time to decide what to get. Have added an EV1 phono which improves on built in one.
A PV12 (phono) has popped up.
This is what i was aiming for as more versatile but not later digital pre.
So improvement over pv10?
Also will ev1 be better than pv12?
I am limited in rack space and the pv12 at 19” wide might be a squeeze and ev1 may have to go
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Pv10 Pv12 dilemma

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The PV10 and PV12 are both long in the tooth.

But when they were new, the PV10 was a low cost option whereas the PV12 was considered the top of the PV product line.

Both units have potential parts availability issues at this late date. The PV12 used higher quality parts.

As for phono, if you find one with a phono section present, it would certainly be possible to use an EV1 too. Which sounds better will depend on the current state of the units. This far into their lives, you really can’t choose without listening to both.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Post by goonybird »

Age isn,t an issue. I am competant at repairing an overhauling old tube gear and all parts are available bar the mains tx. Which can be made to order if needed. So age is not an issue. I don.t like the later cj pre amps due to their digital interface. You have answered that the pv12 is a higher priced and better quality unit than the pv10.
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As a previous owner of the PV-12 (although only line stage), I would go with a PV-12 over a PV-10 as well.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

If you prefer the CJ non-digital front end of their preamps, and have a preference for the PV series, I would very highly recommend the Classic SE. Not the Classic 2 that uses a single 6922 but the version 1 of the Classic Preamp. This preamp uses a pair of Mullard M8080 / 6C4 tubes, just a beautiful sound. It's simple as it gets, no balance control, no bells or whistles, an absolute pleasure to have.

After the PV series was discontinued, their top end one being the PV15, was quite good. The PV15 has the digital interface though but does quite a good job in getting the harmonics and tonality right.

When I first unpaked the Classic SE, it looked so simple, I was thinking what on earth is inside this thing that should make it sound special. Taking the top cover off, there were Teflons and Metal foil resistors and a pair of Mullards. Ah! Now that sounds marvellous! It took a while to get going, as is the case with any Teflon caps and metal foils but once going, you can listen for endless hours. It was one of those preamps that I just couldn't turn off, it kept getting better and better by the minute!

Oh! I forgot to mention, no click claking either, no remote, just super quiet.

Cheers, RJ