My Setup

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

My Setup

Post by teb76 »

Here is my just-updated setup.
20221008_101859.jpg
20221008_101859.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 2645 times
GEARS
The Conrad Johnson CAV 50 is the core of the 2 channels setup while the Denon AVC-X4700H acts as DAC for the CD Player (Samsung UBD-M8500) and streamer with HEOS.
20221008_101921.jpg
20221008_101921.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2645 times
Of course I use the Denon as AVR for the 7.1 hometeather system but I can easily switch setup and configure a 2 channels layout through the pre amp outs driving the CAV50.

SPEAKERS
Speakers are: Focal Chorus 816V, for front/2 channles, Focal Chorus CC 70 S for center channel, JBL SCS 17e as surround, front height and subwoofer.

CABLES
I used material from Ricable, an Italian company. The cable is an AWG 12 pair made by 5N OFC covered by one of the producer socks.
20221006_202530.jpg
20221006_202530.jpg (899.12 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
As I need to switch between the Denon and the CAV 50 and I didn't find an ampli switcher that worth the money, I decided to use Speakon Nl4fc connectors which allow me to switch quickly and securely. Thus I have Gear-> Norstone banana plugs -> cable -> NL4FC -> cable -> Norstone banana plugs.
20221006_202549.jpg
20221006_202549.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2645 times
To connect the Denon and the CAV I've used the Ricable Custom Signal AHS - 8.6mm with two 0.18 mm2 conductors made 5N OFC with their Custom RNU RCA connectors. I've welded the two inner conductors together and than to the RCA. I'm not so sure about this choice, I'll probably will make new cables using a cable with only one thicker conductor.

With regards to the power supply I didn't want to spend so much money at this stage, I'm using a 10 AWG 4N OFC cable found on amazon at a decent price for the CAV 50. I've a surge protected plug and for now I think it could be more than enough.

TURNTABLE
Turnatable is a Pro-Ject Essential II

Still the first step towards a good setup, I've just started. Comments, suggestions and criticism are very welcome, as well as advice on next improvements I should look to.
Attachments
20221008_101859.jpg
20221008_101859.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 2645 times
Proud CJ CAV 50 owner from Italy
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Setup

Post by admin »

Wow, this is looking really great. The CAV50 is going to take that system to the next level. I think you also have some very solid cabling in there that should be revealing and I think also pairs well with the components in your system.

Using the NL4FC connector is an interesting way of going about it. I don't often see that utilized. But as you say, you can always modify those. All in good time.

Nice vinyl setup and I think you will really appreciate that great analog sound now that you have a tube component in the system.

Very nice setup and just a really great system.

Only thing I will mention, is to make sure the Denon is not making a lot of heat. You want good ventilation and don't want the Denon heating up the CAV40. My receiver is notorious for making heat and the top gets so hot that it would literally burn my hand. I actually put in active ventilation just for that. But I think that is an outlier and haven't seen it as a major problem with other similar units.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

admin wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:44 am Only thing I will mention, is to make sure the Denon is not making a lot of heat. You want good ventilation and don't want the Denon heating up the CAV40.
I've checked in advance and the problem could happen on the other way, the CAV 50 heat a lot. I will fix it by raising the CAV over a small furniture I'm buinding in purpose which will let the denon have enogh free space on the top while isolating the CAV. I also plan to change the small rubber feet of the CAV to let it have some more free space in the bottom.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

I've unforgivably forgotten to thank @AnotherJohnson for his precious help in finding the right cable while preventing me in wasting a lot of money, so THANK YOU! :)
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, good idea.

The CAV50 will generate quite a bit of heat as is the case with any high quality tube amplifier. I wouldn't stack components together like that, especially tube amps on top of other gear. Try to isolate the two and have them on their own shelves. This will provide adequate ventilation as well as less interference with trannies & magnetic fields...

That CAV50 is looking great mate! It's a beautiful sound, you'll be listening for endless hours.

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

👍
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

teb76 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:21 am
admin wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:44 am Only thing I will mention, is to make sure the Denon is not making a lot of heat. You want good ventilation and don't want the Denon heating up the CAV40.
I've checked in advance and the problem could happen on the other way, the CAV 50 heat a lot. I will fix it by raising the CAV over a small furniture I'm buinding in purpose which will let the denon have enogh free space on the top while isolating the CAV. I also plan to change the small rubber feet of the CAV to let it have some more free space in the bottom.
Heat will always rise, so when worrying about overheating, it's the top unit that you need to be worried about. In the current configuration, the CAV50 won't do any harm to the denon, but the Denon "may" do harm to the CAV50.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I would be concerned about blocking heat escape from the Denon. But it’s probably not a serious issue since a DAC doesn’t typically need to get rid of a lot of heat.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:19 am I would be concerned about blocking heat escape from the Denon. But it’s probably not a serious issue since a DAC doesn’t typically need to get rid of a lot of heat.
If the speakers are not be driven I would imagine there would be relatively little heat produced by the Denon. As you mention, the rest of the circuitry like the DAC is going to have very minimal power requirements, and thus little heat production.

Also, unlike the CAV50, modern receivers actually have temperature sensors built in and will auto shut off if the temperature max is reached. The CAV50 certainly will not have anything that "fancy."
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If you’re running the denon as an amp, get it out of that spot. The last thing you want is to have the unit self protect because of an obvious placement problem.

As a DAC, it’s probably ok. As an amp, it’s not just the heat that will rise. There are electromagnetic fields that would will undercut the CAV 50 sound quality. Separate them if you can. At least raise the CAV a few inches.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:43 pm If you’re running the denon as an amp, get it out of that spot. The last thing you want is to have the unit self protect because of an obvious placement problem.

As a DAC, it’s probably ok. As an amp, it’s not just the heat that will rise. There are electromagnetic fields that would will undercut the CAV 50 sound quality. Separate them if you can. At least raise the CAV a few inches.
All relevant and correct comments. Already working on it, as I wrote in some post above I'm waiting for a friend of mine to finish a small furniture to correctly place both of the gears. Unfortunately I have not other space where to place the second gear, unless I move the CAV near to the turntable but in that case the farthest speaker will be 5+ meters away from the gear.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

admin wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:23 pm
If the speakers are not be driven I would imagine there would be relatively little heat produced by the Denon. As you mention, the rest of the circuitry like the DAC is going to have very minimal power requirements, and thus little heat production.
The two power circuits will never work at the same time, when the CAV is on, the denon is off or acting as DAC