ET7-S2 break-in & RCA cable

The PV-1 to now...
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: ET7-S2 break-in & RCA cable

Post by roberto »

Good to know Kzhtoo,

I know my explanation is a little bit difficult to understand, but you did it...great to know that it worked for your just fine,

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
kzhtoo
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by kzhtoo »

One more question if I may. Is it worthwhile to get the tube cryogenic treatment?
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

kzhtoo wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:37 pm One more question if I may. Is it worthwhile to get the tube cryogenic treatment?
Warren Gehl, the official ARC corporate listener, says he can hear cryo treatment of the power cord socket on the ARC Reference series.

Historically I’ve pooh poohed the idea that things like this matter. I’ve never paid for cryo treated tubes and would have dismissed the idea as silly. But this has been a very strange year for me, full of mysteries, enigmas, and revelations.

If I were buying tubes today, I’d probably try the cryo. Especially since the ET7 s2 just takes one tube.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I've purchased cryo-treated tubes from Upscale including small signal and KT-120 tubes. I also bought standard (non-cryo-treated) Kt-120 tubes from Upscale and couldn't tell the difference in their sound. Whether that was my system, my hearing acuity, etc. I don't know.

However, there are claimed benefits in terms of performance and longevity. According to Kevin's web site:

"In a nutshell, reducing an object’s temperature to -300ºF re-arranges its molecular structure, creating greater uniformity that results in longer life and better performance than when the product was initially designed.

With vacuum tubes, this process has been claimed by some to have a profound impact on a tube’s ability to endure thermal shock, and improve both life and sound quality.

Upscale Audio does not make any claims. But we have many regular customers that demanded we make Cryogenically treated tubes available. We've done so by offering the best cryo treating service at a fraction of what others charge."
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
kzhtoo
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by kzhtoo »

Thank you for the replies. Cryo treatment cost is pretty cheap, so I don’t mind it. My main concern is if it can make the tube noisy.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

kzhtoo wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:05 pm Thank you for the replies. Cryo treatment cost is pretty cheap, so I don’t mind it. My main concern is if it can make the tube noisy.
It is supposed to establish new grain patterns/boundaries in the metal parts, making them more durable.

I’ve always thought that since the glass and the metal parts have different coefficients of thermal expansion, that cryo treatment was asking for a vacuum leak.

But if the tubes are cryo treated and then subsequently burned in and measured, this shouldn’t be a problem for units that pass the test and make it to inventory.

I don’t think cryo would add noise, but order the best grade to be sure. It’s just one tube.

FWIW, CJ doesn’t cryo treat their tubes and would probably raise their eyebrows at the practice.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

This guy gives many of the reasons why I’ve always thought cryo treatment of vacuum tubes is stupid.

https://www.effectrode.com/knowledge-ba ... rspective/

But I’m an engineer too, and I’ve been surprised by illogical things in my audio system all year.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've never personally heard a difference but again, you are going to get varying opinions. If it's relatively inexpensive, and again, the ET7s2 you are talking about a single tube,... so go ahead if you want to try. You could even buy two, one treated, the other not, and see if you hear a difference.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

You could hear a difference just because tubes are not the same from sample to sample. Three EH 6922s won’t necessarily sound identical. If they were identical, it would not be necessary to sort and grade them.
kzhtoo
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by kzhtoo »

Actually I already tried. I ordered one Genalax Gold Lion and one EH with gold pins from Upscale, both with cryo treatment. In my system Gold Lion is so much better than EH (could be my preference but it’s not even comparable). However, Gold Lion is a bit noisy. I get static spurts here and there after a month. I did re-position it but the noise is still there. So, I planned to order another one (just did) and hence the question about cryo.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I think that tubes are uncertain. A spare small signal tube is a good idea. I had in my previous ET-7 a Genalex Gold Lion gold pins for over three years, and still it is working as good as ever, no noise or sparking what's so ever. I got my new ET-7V2 and it came with a Philips made in Holland 6922. I have some spare Genalex Gold Lion and I changed. It last only 5 months or so. The new tube behaviour is about the same, no noise or hissing sound, just dead noise on both channels. I think that I got a bad one that last only that. I did changed it and back to business again.

This Genalex Gold Lion is a bargain. Less than $60.00 and the sound quality is quite impressive. I like the clarity, transparent sound too. The stage is stable with a WIDE presentation. The bass is very deep when the bass notes are like it, Otherwise they are very life like. My speakers disappear and the illusion began with this ET-7. You all know how happy I am with my speakers, and all the toys that I have with the system. All I can say is: I am truly happy with the sound quality here. I don't want to change even a screw or a nail. Everything just snapped in a very enjoyable, fun to use and a super quality sound.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
kzhtoo
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by kzhtoo »

Just want to say that the intermittent noise issue I was having isn’t tube issue. Please see below comment that I also posted in other thread.

Hi, I just want to share that the intermittent noise issue is finally resolved. I tried a set of cable risers with the output RCA from ET7-S2 and I’d say 99% of noise magically disappears. I was quite skeptical at first, but I’m glad I tried the cable risers. I was ready to move on. So glad that I’ll now get to enjoy the ET7-S2 to its fullest. It’s a sonically remarkable pre-amp.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I posted this in the other thread as well but:

Glad it worked out and was a cheap and easy fix!

Make sure any power cables are a good distance away from any RCA cables. Also, if you have too long power cables, don't wind them in a single loop, make it an infinity sign to dissipate the magnetic field instead of amplifying it.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.