Cables in Italy

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Cables in Italy

Post by teb76 »

Dear CJ owners, my near-to-arrive CAV 50 deserves decent cables to drive my Fochal Chorus 816V. I was wondering if someone could suggest me some entry level but still valuable 5 meters long cable I can find in Italy online. I want to stay low with budget right now, I'm investing in the gear and other stuffs, there will be time to improve.
Thanks for your help.
Proud CJ CAV 50 owner from Italy
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Cables in Italy

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If I were watching the budget, I’d go with some plain old 12 gauge Oxygen Free Copper. In my opinion, you have to spend over $1000 to beat it. 5 M is a long run.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:22 pm If I were watching the budget, I’d go with some plain old 12 gauge Oxygen Free Copper. In my opinion, you have to spend over $1000 to beat it. 5 M is a long run.
Thank you will have a look. Do you think it is crucial to buy a terminated cable or I can do by myself? I'm quite familiar with the welder since I was 12
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I would not solder or weld the terminations.

I use solderless banana plugs from Nakamichi or furutech. Solderless spades could be a good choice too. Depending on your amp and speaker binding posts, you could consider using the bare wire, but if you do this, be very careful to avoid shorting the circuit by a stray strand.

If you want commercially manufactured speaker wires, AudioQuest has a full range … although 5 M pairs of just about anything are costly compared to DIY.

Nordost is another brand that people like and they may have something affordable if you search.

I don’t know what is available in Italy, but AQ and Nordost are available in many parts of the world.

If I were you, I would probably go with the 12 gauge multi strand copper “zip wire.” It is really quite good as a starting point. It gives you a baseline for evaluating other options later.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

Thank you, clearly I still need to learn a lot! I was pretty sure that solder bananas or spades was the better choice. I will follow your advice for now and use the 12 gauge wire.
As I have to share the speakers with my home teather system, I was searching for a switcher but couldn't find anything other than crazy-expensive and/or poor-built, thus at least on the amp side I will need to have bananas to quickly switch amp manually.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

teb76 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:27 pm Thank you, clearly I still need to learn a lot! I was pretty sure that solder bananas or spades was the better choice. I will follow your advice for now and use the 12 gauge wire.
As I have to share the speakers with my home teather system, I was searching for a switcher but couldn't find anything other than crazy-expensive and/or poor-built, thus at least on the amp side I will need to have bananas to quickly switch amp manually.
If you don't mind manually switching them manually, that would cut the cost in half, or conversely expands the number of potential speaker cables to choose from. From a pure audiophile standpoint, the less connections the better, so that is a plus.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If you go the 12 gauge route, you can inexpensively try both soldered and solderless termination and see which you like best.

The 12 gauge route also lets you get started at very modest cost and it will sound very good.

Later, if you get the urge to try other things, you’ll have a good baseline for comparison.

I tried several different speaker cables over the years, but until I was up over $1000 for 8’ pairs, the 12 gauge were just as good or better. YMMV
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

admin wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:05 pm
From a pure audiophile standpoint, the less connections the better, so that is a plus.
That's exactly why I have decide to don't use a switcher by now, I want to keep the system as clean as possible. I will probably try some DIY experiment, I've already found some project nice to test. Double fun: hifi music and electronics DIY :D
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:26 pm If you go the 12 gauge route, you can inexpensively try both soldered and solderless termination and see which you like best.

The 12 gauge route also lets you get started at very modest cost and it will sound very good.

Later, if you get the urge to try other things, you’ll have a good baseline for comparison.

I tried several different speaker cables over the years, but until I was up over $1000 for 8’ pairs, the 12 gauge were just as good or better. YMMV
I will follow your advice and take a 12 gauge. I found an Italian company Recable that makes an affordable 12 gauge claiming to be OFC 99,999%
They have a good reputation for much more expensive cables i don't think they would mess up with poor quality 12 gauge. Perhaps someone of you had some experience with their cables?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is this what you are referring to? https://www.ricable.com/en/speaker-cable/

I've never used them but they look to be of high quality. But they all appear to be terminated. Are you looking at terminated or unterminated now?
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

admin wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:56 pm Is this what you are referring to? https://www.ricable.com/en/speaker-cable/

I've never used them but they look to be of high quality. But they all appear to be terminated. Are you looking at terminated or unterminated now?
That's the company yes. They have a separate website for non terminated/DIY cables. The cable I mentioned you can find it here:
https://www.ricablecustom.com/en/prodot ... acustiche/
Last edited by teb76 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. BTW, if you want to make it look "fancy and expensive", buy some techflex. It's cheap but makes it look like the 1000 euro cables! :)

Of course this is cosmetic and has no influence on the sound quality.

https://www.techflex.com/products
-admin
teb76
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by teb76 »

Woah! Fantastic!
Thanks for the advice